The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

It’s what you’d call domestic imported which is confusing, I think. A standard deli ham up here though. Pretty popular. Comes in kind of a rectangular shape lol. 

I got you. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that rectangle meat block before!

• Truth 2

I work with a bunch of dudes from Spain, they talk about buying 600+ euro hams like it is reasonable.

That rectangle ham can be good for a sandwich on bread but a good Virginia ham will take precedence on a biscuit or plate for sure.

If you have a good Russian deli in your area that can be a fun rabbit hole for learning about luncheon meats and cheeses along with breads, sweets, cookies and pickled goods depending on the selection. Some are definitely better than others in terms of selection and freshness. 

• Like 3
  • Truth 1

8 hours ago, morton said:

I work with a bunch of dudes from Spain, they talk about buying 600+ euro hams like it is reasonable.

That rectangle ham can be good for a sandwich on bread but a good Virginia ham will take precedence on a biscuit or plate for sure.

If you have a good Russian deli in your area that can be a fun rabbit hole for learning about luncheon meats and cheeses along with breads, sweets, cookies and pickled goods depending on the selection. Some are definitely better than others in terms of selection and freshness. 

Jamon Iberico is the truth. Have they shared any with you?

No, there are restrictions on bringing it in, I have gotten hooked up with a bunch of tinned fish and cheese, the muscles in escabeche  are really good.

Funny to hear a guy who shops at Wallmart to save money on groceries turn around and justify a thousand dollar ham. Some solid food culture them dudes got going though, for sure. Makes me a little embarrassed for the good ole USA.

• Like 3

As a former deli worker I am sad and embarrassed that I have never heard of a “Russian deli.” Lolol. Or 1000 dollar Spain hams. I know about real authentic Italian delis and kosher delis and the Dominican butcher deli but I ain’t never hear of the Russians holding one down. I’m gonna need to find this. Hopefully it’s not just a bunch of weird bolognas and head cheese. 

• Like 3

Head cheese is primarily for the old timers. Usually immigrants of some sort. Reminds them of the scraps they came up on. Because it’s literally just that. And jello mold to keep it all together. Of all the things behind the counter (deli counter) it’s the only shit I never tried. 

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1

6 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I need to learn Spanish. Beside finding myself a big booty Latina, does anyone have any suggestions? Is Rosetta Stone worth the money? 

All those programs are good for supplementation but you gotta hear and see real convo to learn.
I’ve used Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, and Babbel. I think Duolingo is honestly the best Bc it’s free and pretty immersive. Problem is you can’t fuck up much or you gotta wait for the hearts again.

music is big. Find a song you like and memorize it. Rinse and repeat. Tv shows too. Watch shit on repeat. 

But yeah the best way is to learn basic phrases and go to a Spanish grocery store or something along those lines and practice. I let them know I was trying and the workers loved when I would come in. It’s an ego killer for sure but learning through speaking is the best thing you can do. I am technically fluent now but my accent sucks and I stumble a lot. Prepare to commit years to it Bc shit is hard lol.

x2... i have been told my accent/pronunciation is good but i learned european spanish in school and mostly hear salvadoran/guatemalan/mexican spanish speakers in my area. at first these were in contention with each other . listening to native speakers and their inflections as early as possible will be what gets you into fluent territory. even if you don't understand 100%, you will set a foundation for speaking and pronunciation that will make you sound better 

• Props 1

7 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

I’ll never understand how mf’s can no 2/3 languages. Even learning one as a old head is incomprehensible to me. 

i speak a realllll little French and I used to be pretty close to fluent in German. But, you don’t use it, you lose it. Both languages were pretty pointless for me to know from any practical stand point.