This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 minute ago, mr.yuck said:

Are coils frozen maybe? Is it hot as fuck where you are and she has that bad boy cranked?

Coils were cool to the touch but bot frozen when I placed my hand on the.  She says she sets the ac at 77 when gone, then 72 when she's home.  Not a big place.  Condo 1300sqft.

Shiiit. Man this just happened to me a few months ago. I was getting ready to take the thing apart. My old lady asked me if I knew what I was doing. Let me cut to the chase, I didn't know what I was doing but I had an idea. So she found me a 45 minute video to watch. I watched the whole thing and decided this was some bullshit for me to try and tackle... then what did I do? I don't remember... I might not have done anything. I think it might have just fixed itself.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Shiiit. Man this just happened to me a few months ago. I was getting ready to take the thing apart. My old lady asked me if I knew what I was doing. Let me cut to the chase, I didn't know what I was doing but I had an idea. So she found me a 45 minute video to watch. I watched the whole thing and decided this was some bullshit for me to try and tackle... then what did I do? I don't remember... I might not have done anything. I think it might have just fixed itself.

Honestly, I am hoping this is what happens.  But I highly suspect the ac is sus at this point. 

2 hours ago, ndv said:

A/C related question. GFs ac is not blowing cold as water dripps quite a bit.   I don't want to be taken advantage of when the repair guy shows up.   So what should I expect for repairs?

Does the compressor kick on?

coils on evap are cool?  Are they cooler at the bottom or top?

Edited by metronome
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, metronome said:

I know the compressor doesn't sound like it kicks on.  I am having dinner with her tomorrow - I will have answers for the later 2 questions tomorrow evening. 

• Like 2

Also I would find out what size her ac is. Her size place should be 2-2.5 ton unit. Like I said earlier these dickheads are straight up fuckwads. If a previous owner replaced their units, they might have been sold a unit that's too big for her condo. Because bigger units are bigger money. You would think more cooling power would be better, but it doesn't do like that. It makes it's own kind of problems.

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Also I would find out what size her ac is. Her size place should be 2-2.5 ton unit. Like I said earlier these dickheads are straight up fuckwads. If a previous owner replaced their units, they might have been sold a unit that's too big for her condo. Because bigger units are bigger money. You would think more cooling power would be better, but it doesn't do like that. It makes it's own kind of problems.

I'll report back. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 7:06 PM, metronome said:

Compressor doesn't kick on.

Coils are cool on bottom. 

On 8/16/2023 at 7:28 PM, mr.yuck said:

Get a second opinion. 

Here's a couple of pics 

I am not sure what I am looking at. 

The unit is stacked. 

20230819_134750.jpg

20230819_134705.jpg

12 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndvtell her to check her air return filter!

Air return filters are changed periodically - she keeps up with it pretty well. 

2 hours ago, metronome said:

Evap might not be draining condensate, esp if there's ice build up.  If the compressor isn't kicking on it could be seized, but if there is a leak this could also be the reason it won't kick on - no vapour to move.  Godspeed. 

This sounds about right with me not having any knowledge in HVAC.  We cleared the drain tube last week and water drained like pretty well after that.  Seed like we heard a quart of water drain.  So I just chalked it up there is a leak of some sort. 

I appreciate the insight gentlemen, from what the gf tells me, she is waiting on a new unit. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

31 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

bummer. i was hoping for another success story from this thread &  @ndv was gonna macgyver his girls ac back to life.

I mean I probably could and purchase the condenser unit and swap it out, but I am the type that has the potential to learn the hard way and by the time everything is up and running, I bought a new unit.  

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1