Travel Log - Hunting, Hitchhiking, Painting & Getting Dirty: Traveling Across America

Keepitrail

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Travel Log - 2011 - USA

I look forward to the packages - make sure there's a return adress so that I can get back to you!

I woke up early and saw my guest off quickly so that I could get back to painting.

Seeking I am honored to have you buy one of my paintings!! Send me a PM so that I can ship it to you or figure something out... thank you.

IMG_2170.jpg

I spent sunday exploring my yard, I had begun to wonder exactly where my water was coming from, so I began walking and found a black tube that left the back of the yard, and wandered into the forest...

I found a patch of these,

IMG_2173.jpg

Which I thought might be perhaps these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cyanescens#cite_note-MD-0

But I do not think they are. Or at least, I'm not going to find out, anyway...

I also found these,

IMG_2178.jpg

Which I suspected could be these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackberries

I think that I was right, and I took the risk, crazy wild death defying berry eating risks of living in the woods. Luckily, I was right, I ran home and got my wild edible plants book and looked it up, and drove into town to ask some of the locals if this could be in fact Rubus fruticosus, which it was! and then I ate them.

IMG_2179.jpg

I found a 2x4 nailed into a tree about 30 feet up, in the middle of the woods, about a mile down a trail from my house that followed the thin black tube..

IMG_2180.jpg

I am thinking this will be my deer stand. A large Douglas Fir, I think, and was the largest in the area, I suppose this would make an excellent post.

IMG_2184.jpg

And then, the sound of rushing water and birds chirping and fluttering,

IMG_2192.jpg

I came out in a big field, after finding the source, and fed some of the chickens that ran up to me a bit of the apple I'd just picked up, fresh and sweet solid.

Not much time for more updates - I will photograph some of the letters I am writing as they seem to function as a note takeing device. Also I will put up some of the paintings I suppose but you;'l have to wait until next time when I get some photographs of them!

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

What kind of scat is this??

IMG_2208.jpg

I met this guy when i came out of the woods who made me come into his house to show me his photorealistic turtle paintings.

IMG_2205.jpg

And his home made astrological charts

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

This log, although it appears small, is tremendously heavy!

IMG_2133.jpg

It was sufficiently able to be transported, however, to the chopping block.

IMG_2134.jpg

Where I wish I had more than 48 seconds to illustrate the activities that followed.

IMG_2136.jpg

I awoke this morning at 2:30 am or sometime thereabouts, thinking that it was dawn, but the light from the sky was merely an anomolie - unfiltered starlight, the first night of many that I have seen light in the sky after the sun sets...

I had though ti twas dawn so I began to wake up and make food and drink tea and work on a painting. After two hours I realized that it was still dark...

As promised, a shot of my studio with several paintings in progress

IMG_2220.jpg

At this point i lay back on the couch next to the wood stove and tried to go back to sleep, but I could not find my self able to stop staring widely at the window. It was strange. I had gone to bed at perhaps 8:30 or so the night before as the power was out and I had no lights.

I decided then to take my rifle and walk out into the woods.

• Like 1

It would be impossible to describe how soft everything that morning was... and i walked very, very slowly and very quietly for a little over half an hour into the trails of animals that I had found scat of the day before, and deer scat the day before that, and at the time of discovery - mid day, were still wet, and I had figured that they had been there at dawn.

The light was just beginning to saunter over the eastern horizon when I stopped moving and stood very still for what reason I did not know.

About a quarter of an hour later a large buck wandered into the path, hopping silently over the fallen alders and edging into the very small clearing I had just opened into.

I had my 30.06 at the ready, but pointed downward with the safety on. The buck had approached to within about thirty yards and was in clear view of me. I watched him with my eyes half shut as to not reflect light or have him see me too clearly. At every step that he took, I raised the rifle about a quarter of an inch, all the while absolutely stock still, nothing moving but the rifle steadily up in small nods.

I believe that he smelled me, or something like me, and was striving to figure it out. He snuffed, and coughed into the air as he stood staring straight at me. I stopped moving and watched him walk towards me, each joint of his leg in a slow prance moving gently before joining to the ground in one soft and absolutely silent movement, pushing himself towarsd me.

He stopped at about twenty yards from me and I had at this time raised the rifle to about halfway to where it needed to be. I could not risk moving another time without him noticing and taking off wildly back into the forest.

• Like 1

He then took a soft left turn and passed on the far side of some small decaying pear trees. I took this moment, more or less, and had just enough time to softly and quickly raise the rifle to firing position and set the sights on him, where I followed him for a few seconds to get a clear shot, and at the moment he emerged from the far side of the trees I had him in the sights, with the small space behind his foreleg slightly above my crosshair, as I had yet to calculate fully the consistency of shot, and knew that I was still high.

There was nothing then but the absolute totality of the moment when I took him. I cannot remember anything that happened in those few seconds, for every point of my mind was completely and utterly devoid of thought, I don't know how to explain it.

I fired, in one motion, and watched him take off in the next. He lept wildly and ran full speed to my right. I thought for many moments that I did not hit him. I followed the path to where I had shot at, where I should have hit him, and quietly and slowly examined the area, for I knew that if he was nearby, I should let him lay and accept his death quietly, and if I ran after him he would surely continue running as long as he could stay upright.

What I found was a spray of blood and bright red, and I mean glowing red embers splashed out on the maple leaves.

IMG_2225.jpg

I followed the trail to where he lay, and saw in the short distance away, as it was only a few dozen yards, some tall sword ferns swaying and jerking repeadedly. It was where he lay, I thought, and I should wait a moment until they stop, to give him time and respect.

I had hit him in his heart, just on the top of it, and severed the arteries, as well as a piece of his lung.

IMG_2224.jpg