Zines, booklets - Publishing help! InDesign and all that stuff.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, Schnitzel said:

Thread is poppin' off for the first time in along time!

Those zines look good!  Will get on the case

I'd be down for a trade if anybody woudl be keen will di gout some issues!

cover of my big Sydney project finishing it up after 6 years

IMG_3386.JPG

You go ahead with any of these @Schnitzel? Would love to get a copy in Perth

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@aimert I have made it but  the fact I no longer live in Sydney has taken the shine off issue 8. I'd already made 1-7 in black and white and was going to make a big shebang of them all together. in colour.

I weighed up the costs of a full colour 260 page thing (6.00 USD each) with the amounts your average writer was pre prepared to pay for it ( $0.00) and figured it didn't make sense.

I can probably find you an issue 4 (2013) of the old ones plus a copy of my zine from my new city.

have you seeen the zine coming out for perth later this year?

@Schnitzelah yeah fair call
Would definitely be keen to buy a copy of your others if you have any spares!

I lost my collection of old zines (dirty deeds, DFA etc) over the years and looking to rebuild haha especially with some local ones
kicking myself for just missing the Always on Tour that was just released too

Haven't heard anything on the Perth one, where can I find deets?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 2:56 PM, El Jefe Uno said:

I put out a small zine last year called High Iron Cult. Did a run of 100 and ended up selling out. It was a passion project, so I was just happy to break even. Issue #2 has taken me longer than I would have liked to get together, but I'm hoping to get it out in the next month or so. Once it's printed up, I'm down for a trade. Also happy to trade some hard copies/slaps/whatever in the meantime if anyone is interested.

highiron.thumb.jpg.2fa32bfacfd00b549ac385284793860c.jpg

I'm interested.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

bumping this to see if anybody has been doing anything of late.

@Media One you made anything?

Made a 4th tag zine for the local scene. First time I’d done it full colour and everyone seemed happy with it. Currently in the process of getting photos of tags for  a 5th mag which is the longest bit but also the most fun. 
I really want to try make an old school xerox style thing using cut out hardcopies etc but haven’t found the motivation yet 😩

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

anybody making anything?

I got to 16 pages of my last issue and gave up.

if anybody is making a zine and would like a couple spreads contributed let me know.

giant collages in photoshop converted to jpeg images for easy printing.

fuck it they deserve to see the light of day.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Have some general motivation to do something, have a lot in the private stash I'd like to release.  Working an idea to do something small, limited, and a bit different from what's traditionally been done.  Be cool to have something completed and gone by end of Fall.  Will update if I do.  

Any protips or trials & tribulations you went through appreciated.

• Like 2

Protip:

Dont do it for the fuckin' love but also do do it for the fuckin' love

Put a price on that shit and Open up "pre orders" to give you an idea of what you have to print.

Dont be like me and pay for the printing out of your own pockets. Colossal waste of cash.

Make sure you have enough content ( I suspect you would have by a mile)

Motherfuckers will refuse to contribute to a free zine for the city but will happily email off all their flicks to be sold back to them for the bigger name mags.

pretty much these days it needs to include 

• french/Italian/ Bulgarian/ who fuckin knows dude dropping an american style tag
  • new york skyline
  • train painting action shot
  • Maybe somebody throwing up?? girl mid piss?? dog shitting
  • racking photos ( goretex ideally but paint will also work)
  • photo of some sweet  weed being rolled
  • sweet nikes
  • ironic statements from next to a piece

fuck I'm jaded today

But yeah spreads if anybody wants

817227026_ScreenShot2021-07-11at10_10_15pm.thumb.png.14a84acf9e45c5445c3cf22b4047cabc.png

• Like 3
  • Props 2

Haha, good calls.  Yeah, I have plenty of content that I've kept for myself over time so no problem there.

Not sure if all B&W, or B&W with color cover, or all color.  Probably no more than 20 pages.  Nothing fancy, something I might even be able to print myself or have done at the local copy shop.

I'm not worried about getting costs back or making money but am curious about how much it has cost for various projects people have done, how many pages you did, how many copies, B&W, color, etc.

my first one cost $1.00 per copy for 20 pages (5 double sided a4 prints at 10 cents per side)

second one cost me $500.00 for 200 28 page copies ( for speed I got it printed at a printers)

As the page count increased the cost kept increasing for me until it cost nearly 700.00 for issue five.

I just didn't have time to do it myself between my baby son, spending all my time sourcing content,holding down a job etc.

Issue 6 was the biggie 400 copies, 60 pages.
i got this printed in china and results were pretty disappointing. the photos they showed me looked amazing but when the final copies came they'd priunted a black and white mag on a colour printer so it was sepia toned.

Even so with shipping it cost me $480 USD

issue 7 was the last one and it was back down to 24 pages and was printed at  a cheap printers and cost me $400.00

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Think I can manage, we'll see.  Leaning toward including a couple stickers with it too, so add a slight cost of that.  Nice thing about a printer is having them fold/staple for you.  

Got some inspiration a while back when I met a dude riding freight who had made his own zine, folded 8.5 x 11 paper no staples, B&W.  He gave me a copy, don't think he was selling it.

• Truth 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...