americans + food. a rant.

50million

hello fellow oontzers.

So I just wanted to say a few things I've been thinking about recently. First, it seems like more and more Americans (generally from the ages of 35 and lower) don't know how to cook, and if they do they are just opening up a box or a can and heating the contents up. I'm not sure what happened here...Fast food? Grocery stores having more processed foods and prepared foods? Grandparents and parents not teaching their kids how to cook? Cooking becoming out dated? To stressed for time? Whatever the reason, more and more Americans are struggling with Nutrition (and health). This could be, perhaps, from the lack of cooking fresh meals.

Now you may be asking yourself, "doesn't this chick work at a grocery store?" and the answer is Yes. Yes I do...but the concept of someone going to a store, picking up their "nutritional satiation" from a box off a shelf that has been handled by several other humans before packaging is the strangest concept I can think of. Lets say it's stuffing mix. Well stuffing has carrots, celery, bread, etc... in it (hopefully, if it's 'all natural'). A farmer had to grow those carrots, a farm worker had to pick those carrots, a truck driver had to carry those carrots into a factory, a factory worker had to prep that carrot, a machine probably cut it to size or dehydrated it, someone else had to package it, another driver had to drive it to the grocery store, and a receiver most likely took the product and gave it to another worker who put it on the shelf. That's a minimum possibility of 8 fucking people handling this one carrot thats inside a box with other products with it. Fucking insane if you ask me.

Now I know Americans have stressful lives, limited resources in land-locked states (all the corn, wheat and cattle farming doesn't bring in much fresh fruits and veggies every day), and everyone likes the convenience of a grocery store, or having someone prepare meals for you. All I'm asking is...Why can't we all learn to cook? Even if you don't want to or don't most of the time - at least you know how. Anthony Bourdain once said (in so many words) that something was lost when we got rid of Home Ec. Instead of making women not taking cooking classes in school, we should expanded it to everyone - men and women.

When I googled "American Food" this is what came up:

PicForNewsletterErieApril2007FreeportFood.JPG

This is fucking disgusting. The potatoes are probably the powdered kind, the gravy is definitely from a packet, I *think* that is chicken, and the peas are neon green. Most likely frozen with tons of preservatives. Yuck! That shit is going to kill you.

So what do you think will help?

learn how to cook?

shop only at farmers markets and farms? (can everyone do that?)

not buy processed foods at grocery stores?

what do people do when they get diabetes, (besides take meds)?

a heart condition?

high cholesterol?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a really stupid thing to worry about, and that if people want to be unhealthy why would you care?

<--- Knows how to cook, but doesn't care to most of the time

I'm not so much worried as I am fascinated by it.

I'm worried about GMO stuff.

i have found for the most part, that shopping at farmers markets can be just as costly as shopping at the local safeway, if not more...a majority of the time.

as for cooking from scratch, i think its an issue of it being too time consuming...its much easier to cook from a box or a can..but then again we deal with the consequences of that...especially when we have high blood pressure due to high sodium and perservatives put into the foods.

i have sooo much more to say on this, but i will spread it throughout the thread, rather than just in one huge post.

your rants, and most of your threads, are dumb.

frozen peas w/ preservatives? really? do you know how they FREEZE vegetables. those are canned. that is the color of canned peas. frozen peas retain a very vivid green color.

frozen vegetables make me barf. no matter what kind. dont really eat them. im sure canned peas are even worse.

also, home ec was mandatory for ALL students..males and females at my junior high in 7th grade...EVERYONE had to take 1 quarter of it...all i remember is learning how to use a sewing machine and making book covers, and baking chocolate chip cookies and mini pizzas..

basically, a waste of time.

also, home ec was mandatory for ALL students..males and females at my junior high in 7th grade...EVERYONE had to take 1 quarter of it...all i remember is learning how to use a sewing machine and making book covers, and baking chocolate chip cookies and mini pizzas..

basically, a waste of time.

they used to teach nutrition and cooking together, like back in the early days. now that...is genius.

my olive makes pickles right?

i put the empty jar in a pot of boiling water...

pureed 3 cups of thai/jalapenos chilies...

w vinegar

put the top back on...

suction seal...

aging that bitch...

also made the hottest mayo ever.

aids.

edit:

my olive makes spicy aids?

they used to teach nutrition and cooking together, like back in the early days. now that...is genius.

nutrition was never taught in jr high..it shouldve been.

and at my high school it was only an elective..which was only offered twice (about 40 people would take it a year)

times change....even cookbooks have changed....the joy of cooking cook book back in the day used to prepare small servings for 3-4 people...

now, the joy of cooking prepares huge servings for 4-5 people.

also back in the day, the average diameter of a dinner plate was 10 inches...now its over 12inches on average i think.

basically im saying that habits change based on the society we live in...

so a stressed/rushed lifestyle means more faster meals being made, and shoveled into our mouths really fast (before we even feel satiety) rather than eating slowly and feeling full sooner.

WHOLE FOODS PEOPLE

Yup :lol:

As corny as 99% of the people there are, I can still admit that Whole Foods has a serious meat department, no homo. I used to rack these huge steaks and then grill them up while I was on home confinement :lol:

Dr. Pepper marinated sirloins FTW

• Like 1

you might say a whole lot of this has to do with women (mothers) working full time jobs. when both parents come home from work at lets say 6PM-7 no one can cook for hours to prepare a meal for a family or even for themselves for that matter. if people want to eat good stuff they generallly go out. when im at the house i usually make things like chicken/rice, pasta, or sadly enough to say some sort of prepared meal that i just have to heat up. :( things were different when a housewife stayed at home all day preparing a bomb meal that everyone would enjoy

you might say a whole lot of this has to do with women (mothers) working full time jobs. when both parents come home from work at lets say 6PM-7 no one can cook for hours to prepare a meal for a family or even for themselves for that matter. if people want to eat good stuff they generallly go out. when im at the house i usually make things like chicken/rice, pasta, or sadly enough to say some sort of prepared meal that i just have to heat up. :( things were different when a housewife stayed at home all day preparing a bomb meal that everyone would enjoy

or you could just get a maid to do your cooking for you..

French-Maid-1.jpg

• Like 1