MLB 2010... Early thread..

KARD like WOE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pirates clinch 18th losing season by falling to Mets, 7-2

Friday, August 20, 2010

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10232/1081632-63.stm#ixzz0xCm79kFj

With the final out at PNC Park -- a 7-2 slamming by the New York Mets, fueled in part by a questionable move by manager John Russell -- the long-ago proud Pittsburgh Baseball Club recorded its annually anticipated 82nd loss against a paltry 40 victories and clinched an 18th consecutive losing season. That extended the longest such streak in the history of North America's four major professional sports, the record having previously been the 16 of the 1933-48 Philadelphia Phillies.

The streak, the singular defining trait of this franchise, fair or not, now is older than most of the team's recent draft picks. If it were a living entity, it would be old enough to drive, to vote, even to serve in the Armed Forces.

Three more years, and it could drink away some of the pain.

their record is 40-82 FUCK.

the cubs are basically a AAA team with all the trades they've been making.

as a cubs fan i think that shits fuckin wack and jim hendry needs to go and so do the rest of their bullpens inconsistent closers. pitching is decent but whats the point if your bullpens gonna blow it. Also whats the point of getting guys on base if your not going to bring em in!

PissedcubsfanOner

lol

500x_custom_1282403008128_mlbf_11164585_th_13.jpg

OAKLAND -- Jacki Lynch walked into her first A's game Thursday night with no other itinerary than to take advantage of a free ticket and enjoy the company of some college friends.

Kevin Fennell, however, had a different plan for her, although both didn't know it at the start.

The 21-year-old A's ballboy, stationed near Oakland's bullpen throughout the game, spotted Lynch nearby in the stands and, after putting his glove on a foul ball, passed by a line of fans and handed it to her.

"He looked at me and pointed," Lynch recalled. "I said, 'Me?' and he came over and gave me the ball."

Later in the game, an eventual 4-3 Oakland win over Tampa Bay, Fennell did it again, at which point the A's television crew caught on to the act and shared it with its audience -- including those friendly with Lynch.

"People kept texting and calling me," Lynch told MLB.com by phone on Friday. "I thought it was so funny. I can't believe how much attention this has all been getting."

Although video only shows Fennell handing off two balls, he admitted the count actually grew to four. Lynch, though, says she walked away with five balls, the last of which came via messenger from the bullpen, reading, "How about a phone number for our Ball Man, Kevin?"

Fennell not only received the digits, but he's also already communicated with Lynch via text message to set up a date.

"We're going to get drinks next week," he said.

The blushing Fennell, who on Friday afternoon was nervously preparing in the A's clubhouse for a television interview with MLB Network, is suddenly quite the popular face. At the same time, he's also gotten plenty of slack for Thursday's events.

"Everyone was booing because he was giving all the balls to me," Lynch said, laughing. "I don't know anyone who's gotten five foul balls in one game before. I thought I was going to get mauled or something."

Instead, she got a date. And Fennell said he made amends with the booing crowd.

"After the game," he said, "I gave out about 10 balls."

That doesn't mean A's players are cooling off the banter just yet, though.

"It's OK," he said. "As long as it works out with Jacki."

its crazy as many starters the RedSox have out or done for season, how poor their pitching has been and that they are 6 games out the ONLY team that has scored more runs then them in the majors is the yankees and the only two teams with better records are the rays and yanks. they would be winning in other divisions with their record... even 7 games up on the rangers who are leading the west...

this could be one of the best pendant races in baseball history providing the sox could have kept some semblance with their team...

Well its official.

manny_cws.jpg

Manny Ramirez's days in Dodger blue ended on Monday, when Los Angeles let him go to the Chicago White Sox on a waiver claim.

Ramirez was acquired via a pure waiver claim, meaning there will be no players going to the Dodgers. The White Sox confirmed the transaction via a press release.

The White Sox on Friday won the exclusive rights to Ramirez over claims by Texas and Tampa Bay because Chicago has the lesser record of the three. The Dodgers had until Tuesday morning to exercise one of three options: work out a trade with the White Sox, pull him off waivers and keep him or let him go and get nothing back in return. The Dodgers opted for the latter option.

The White Sox moved right-hander Jake Peavy to the 60-man disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for Ramirez, who was not expected to arrive in time for Monday night's game at Cleveland. Chicago will make a corresponding 25-man roster move when Ramirez joins the team.

Ramirez was initially reported to be seeking a contract extension in return for waiving a no-trade clause, which includes waiver claims, with the White Sox balking at that request. Apparently the extension was dropped when Ramirez saw that he had become a bench player with the Dodgers. Eligible for free agency after the season, he has a better chance to audition for a job for next year as a full-time designated hitter for the White Sox, who will be responsible for the remaining $3.8 million on his contract.

I hope he can contribute to the Sox. I'm really not that excited about it though. I will get more excited if he starts hitting.

I was a Manny fan when he was on the Red Sox, pre-2007. Great pure hitter and added some fun to the game.

Now it's just all over the top and I find the guy to be a fucking asshole - his antics are old hat.

I really hope he's a flop for Chicago. Apparently he has to change his appearance - I didn't know appearance was such a huge issue when those dirtbags Pierzynski and Swisher were bleaching their hair and soul patches. Maybe Manny will dye his hair to look like neopolitan dreads or some shit.

I wouldn't be surprised if his first game is a complete wreck. Something along the lines of him playing LF, then removing a flask of the strongest rum from underneath his hat in the first inning, proceeding to drink all of it, get drunk, take a piss break in the third inning IN the outfield, throw up on himself, and then fail miserably at trying to make a sit-slide catch on a routine fly ball by losing the ball after falling on it and appearing to do a six step while laughing hysterically. Meanwhile, Ozzy will be sitting in the dugout crying and shouting obscenities in Spanish and claiming he's "a crazy mexican", followed by violently ripping his shirt off and screaming for Kenny Williams' head and spitting sunflower seeds at Bobby Jenks because he looks like Joe West.

I was a Manny fan when he was on the Red Sox, pre-2007. Great pure hitter and added some fun to the game.

Now it's just all over the top and I find the guy to be a fucking asshole - his antics are old hat.

I wouldn't be surprised if his first game is a complete wreck. Something along the lines of him playing LF, then removing a flask of the strongest rum from underneath his hat in the first inning, proceeding to drink all of it, get drunk, take a piss break in the third inning IN the outfield, throw up on himself, and then fail miserably at trying to make a sit-slide catch on a routine fly ball by losing the ball after falling on it and appearing to do a six step while laughing hysterically. Meanwhile, Ozzy will be sitting in the dugout crying and shouting obscenities in Spanish and claiming he's "a crazy mexican", followed by violently ripping his shirt off and screaming for Kenny Williams' head and spitting sunflower seeds at Bobby Jenks because he looks like Joe West.

This is fucken Hilarious.

BTW I'm pretty sure he will just DH for us unless we really have no choice for the outfield.

that florida/washington bench clearer was awesome. however they are trying to vilify Nyjer Morgan like he was some bad guy for rushing the mound... they already hit him in the 6th cuz they were UMAD for some home plate thing tuesday then he stole two bases and they were still salty... but the black guy rushes the mound and is in the wrong? either way fantastic highlight too bad both teams have like 63 fans combined...

If Josh Johnson was pitching I bet he wouldn't have charged, that guy is enormous.

Thats like 4 different incidents from Morgan in the past 10 days or something. If the Nats were in a playoff race it would probably be forgivable, but this guy is just acting like an idiot, and his team blows, maybe hes venting some frustration.