THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So what about Grisman, I have some vinyl and a copy of "not for kids only" and the "Pizza Tapes" is there some other good Jerry/Grisman stuff out there?

For those that have kids there are a couple of songs on "not for kids only" that are gold. Freight Train being one of them.

I think Phish shows might actually be tolerable now that everyone has grown up a little bit.

You west coast dudes got Festival 8 happening in Indio. Spectr will be there, I'm pretty sure. I'm going to have to hold out for the east coast fall tour shows and miss the first festival these dudes have thrown since 96, but that's how it goes when you're too old for tour and living in the real world. :/

So what about Grisman, I have some vinyl and a copy of "not for kids only" and the "Pizza Tapes" is there some other good Jerry/Grisman stuff out there?

I'm pretty underpolished on my Grisman, but everything I've heard him do with Jerry I've liked. I'll ask some friends for some recommendations, though.

Heard the one about LSD and the Atomic Bomb?

If I have, it's escaping me at the moment. Let's hear it. =D

The basic idea is that the breakthrough that led to the building of the atomic bomb happened in close proximity time wise to the accidental discovery of LSD by Albert Hoffman and that LSD was "gods" answer to the bomb.

A balancing out if you will, man discovers the ability to make the bomb and is presented with a antidote of psychedelic to put human kind back on track.

I'll have to check that out^^ (Storming Heaven)

Man, I got spun more this summer than I had in close to the past 10. It's been more enjoyable than ever. Spectr(where you at?) put me onto this link a little while ago, which has some great books online.

http://www.psychedelic-library.org/bookmenu.htm

I'm just about finished "The Private Sea." It's been an excellent read.

I am hoping to take some time to myself at some point in the next year or two, it has been a while.

A book that I do not own but have always wanted to get because I have songs memorized with what I am sure are the incorrect lyrics,

http://www.amazon.com/Box-Rain-Lyrics-1965-1993-Penguin/dp/0140134514

Hell yeah, been slacking on getting that for a while.

"The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics" is a great online resource as far as lyrics go.

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/gdhome.html

I gotta crash out, but someone's gonna have to add 5-8-77 sooner or later, so here it is:

http://stash.nugs.net/attics/77may_mp3.asp?artist=1&show=214&cmd=shows

Besides the face that this show is legendary for several reasons, it's a great intro to The Dead's live shows. (As is "Live dead" IMO)

Keep this thread alive! It's not easy with only three of us posting!

Trust me, there will be more...but I'll do what I can to keep it going.

BTw- I'm not gonna be a fascist about it, but it would be nice to keep this thread on track....the reason I say this is because I can easily see this thread turning into a big drug/hippie/jam band mess and I want to focus on the Dead as they were an amazing band and there's a shit ton of ground to cover that a lot of people on 12 oz probably don't know about, and even if they aren't into the music they might appreciate the history and learn a thing or two. Psychedelics are a big part of the Dead experience, but let's not focus on that too much. Anything Dead related (JGB and various side projects, Robert Hunter, Grisman, etc.) is fine.

On that note...

Grateful Dead Live at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum on 1991-10-31 (Halloween show with Ken Kesey delivering a eulogy to Bill Graham who had died a week earlier...I was there and it was fucking insane! Highlights are "Spoonful>Dark Star>Jam w/Ken Kesey>Drums>Space>Dark Star>The Last Time".)

Grateful Dead Live at Shoreline Amphitheatre on 1993-05-21 (another killer show I was at, the encore is nuts! Vince kills it on "Baba O'Riley" then they play "Tomorrow Never Knows" by the Beatles.

pig-pen was my fav... i gotta say...

easy wind does it 4 me.

There's a killer "Easy Wind" on the first link I posted (Family Dog 1970). They were so fucking good back then, people don't realize how raw the Dead was back in the day,

Ken Keesey & Jerry on Tom Snyder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ilnADvT2s

Keesey's letter to Jerry after his death:

Hey Jerry ~

What's happening? I caught your funeral. Weird. Big Steve was good. And Grisman. Sweet sounds. But what really stood out - stands out - is the thundering silence, the lack, the absence of that golden Garcia lead line, of that familiar slick lick with the uptwist at the end, that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in and out of the loosely stacked chords ... a wriggling mystery, bright and slick as fire ... suddenly gone.

And the silence left in its wake was - is - positively earsplitting.

Now they want me to say something about that absence, Jer. But I have to tell you, man: I find myself considerably disinclined. I mean, why go against the grain of such an eloquent silence?

I remember standing out in the pearly early dawn after the Muir Beach Acid Test, leaning on the top rail of a driftwood fence with you and Lesh and Babbs, watching the world light up, talking about our glorious futures. The gig had been semisuccessful, and the air was full of exulted fantasies. Babbs whacks Phil on the back.

"Just like the big time, huh, Phil."

"It is! It is the big time! Why, we could cut a chart-busting record to-fucking-morrow."

I was even more optimistic: "Hey, we taped tonight's show. We could release a record tomorrow."

"Yeah, right --" (holding up that digitally challenged hand the way you did when you wanted to call attention to the truth or the lack thereof) " -- and a year from tomorrow be recording a 'Things Go Better With Coke' commercial."

You could be a sharp-tongued popper-of-balloons shithead when you were so inclined, you know. A real bastard. You were the sworn enemy of hot air and commercials, however righteous the cause or lucrative the product. Nobody ever heard you use that microphone as a pulpit. No antiwar rants, no hymns to peace. No odes to the trees and All Things Organic. No ego-deaths or born-againnesses. No devils denounced, no gurus glorified. No dogmatic howlings that I ever caught wind of. In fact, your steadfast denial of dogma was as close as you ever came to having a creed.

And to the very end, Old Timer, you were true to that creed. No commercials. No trendy spins. No bayings of belief. And if you did have any dogma, you surely kept it tied up under the back porch, where a smelly old hound belongs.

I guess that's what I mean about a loud silence. Like Michelangelo said about sculpting: "The statue exists inside the block of marble. All you have to do is chip away the stone you don't need." You were always chipping away at the superficial.

It was the false notes you didn't play that kept that lead line so golden pure. I was the words you didn't sing. So this is what we are left with, Jerry: this golden silence. It rings on and on without any hint of letup ... on and on. And I expect it will still be ringing for years from now.

Because you're still not playing falsely. Because you're still not singing "Things Go Better With Coke."

Ever your friend,

KEEZ

i never really listened to the dead ,but after falling in love with bands such as jefferson airplane... shit is really really good music.

a shame my generation doesn't know whats up. too busy bumping new boyz and weezy and that broad/nigga lady gaga.

i seriously feel i was meant to grow up during this period of fucking awesome music.

My dad loved the Grateful dead, I'm surprised that I never got into them because I love a lot of music from this era, but even now listening to them I just can't get into it, my wife hates them tho think there were too many deadheads at her university lol

Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is where it's at!!

i made it to alot of Phish shows. Didn't have

a whole bunch of money but what else is new

Got my hustle on, hitched rides when i had to.

Didn't get in to all the shows but not for a lack

of trying. Met plenty of dirty rich kids. Along

the way people did a lot of lookin out.

That said I enjoy the Dead way more

12-2-73

http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-12-02.aud.vernon.17278.sbeok.shnf

This show can't get enough praise, everything is excellent. One of many highlights is the "Mind Left Body Jam" out of Playin'.

Streaming this now. Pretty good.

Never gave these guys much thought, even though my mother was/is a deadhead who followed them around in college back in the mid 70s. Just didn't like their sound when I was younger. Since then I've been trying to expand my horizons, musically. It would suck to still be listening only to the shit I listened to in my teens/early 20s.

I could see this as being good roadtrip music. I can also see the attraction of following them around, seeing a completely different show from night to night b/c of switched up setlists.

Theme, I'm with you on the '68-'72 era. Most of what I'll post (besides shows I was at) will probably be from that period, with some mid 70's stuff.

Man, I recently snagged this:

grateful dead: fillmore west 1969, the complete recordings, limited ed, 10-cd [bOX SET]

http://www.amazon.com/grateful-dead-fillmore-complete-recordings/dp/B000MK2W40

It's perfect for fans of said era. There's so many different versions of the same songs to go through and pick out what you like the most about each. You can nerd out on it for weeks.

that being said, here's an excellent '69 show.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1969-03-28.sbd.miller.81543.sbeok.flac16

The Eleven on here is awesome. Jerry really just floats his way through this one.

I never understood what was so great about the Grateful Dead ? To me it was absolutely horrible blues .

What I find so great about The Grateful Dead is they were basically the first and the best at taking different elements of purely American music and creating something that defies definition. They were our answer to the British invasion(s) of the 60's and 70's, and they were able to hit on something that none of their contemporaries could even imagine. The music that came out of their live shows was magic and is something that really can't be fully explained, but the point gets across well enough through good recordings of great shows. They gave off an energy that was far greater than the sum of it's parts.

shai hooked this up in another thread. The magnitude of this show can't be stressed enough.

8-27-72 Springfield Creamery Benefit, Old Renaissance Fairgrounds, Venetta, OR

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-08-27.sbd.hollister.2199.sbeok.shnf