THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUPERTHREAD

shai

[ATTACH]120523.vB[/ATTACH]

I've been meaning to make this thread for some time, seeing as how quite a few fans have come out of the woodwork on 12 oz over the years.

I started going to Dead shows with my parents in the early 80s, so from then till 1995 I probably saw them 60-80 times. I'll admit it- I went to the Jerry Garcia memorial in Golden Gate Park and cried after he passed...I haven't bothered to check out any of the post-Jerry projects because it just wouldn't be the same.

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on the Dead because you either get it or you don't...there's no middle ground. So this thread is for the fans to talk about experiences at shows and to trade links to shows and recordings.

I'll post a couple off my favorite shows to start things off.

Grateful Dead Live at Family Dog at the Great Highway on 1970-02-27 (February 27, 1970)

Grateful Dead Live at Devore Field, Southwestern U on 1985-09-15 (September 15, 1985)

Grateful Dead Live at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum on 1990-12-27 (December 27, 1990) (my 17th birthday!)

Grateful Dead Live at Shoreline Amphitheatre on 1991-08-17 (August 17, 1991)

Everything besides the first show were shows that I attended. I'll post more.

the-grateful-dead-photo-5.jpg.c7f49074b46636a817ebd2f6613ec0c4.jpg

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I haven't bothered to check out any of the post-Jerry projects because it just wouldn't be the same.

Some of it is not so bad but it can be hit or miss. I went to something or other in SF in 96 and it was pretty dismal but other shows can be worth while.

A couple of friends of mine went out to the gorge at george last spring for the show and said it was a good time.

• Like 1

Yes! This thread gives me a reason to stick around and post on here again. I'm forever grateful for the three times I got to see these guys, one of those shows being a major turning point in my life.

Recommendations from what I've had in rotation lately:

Dicks Picks 4

2/13, 2/14 1970

"That's it for the Other One" will knock your socks off.

Dicks Picks 26

April 26, 1969 at the Electric Theater in Chicago and on April 27, 1969 at the Labor Temple in Minneapolis.

The second "The Eleven" (8/27) on this is so fucking crazy.

5-2-70

I wore the shit out of an AUD of this on tape in high school before they released it as a Dicks Picks (8)

I'm a sucker for early classic 68-72 Dead sets, and the band's live releases have been very kind to these years. There might be audience recordings of these on archive.org, though.

7-19-89 Alpine Valley

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-07-19.senn441.coniff.gmb.92447.flac16

The Deal from this show will burn off both your ears. In fact, this whole Alpine Valley 89 run is crazy. Brent spazes out so good on the "Let The Good Times Roll" from 7-17

JGB is some good shit.

I have not been listening to the Dead on the regular for a while but have a feeling that is going to change. I did not know about this Internet Archive, I have heard about stuff but never bothered checking it out. I still listen to tapes on occasion but only in my truck which is so loud I can't hear the music if I am going over 40.

I kind of like Grisman also on occasion, I got the kids album he did with Jerry when my kid was about 2 and really enjoyed a couple of the songs.

Also, been cranking a lot of JGB studio (go figure) shit as of late.

Strangely enough, I agree. "Garcia" is probably one of the best Grateful Dead albums ever made (if you get my drift.) Same with Bob Weir's "Ace". So while I'm at it...

Jerry Garcia Band- Garcia

Bob_Weir-_Ace

Yeah, I know, the albums aren't the same as the live stuff, blah blah blah...but they are more accessible for people not familiar with the Dead. And some of them are damn good.

[ATTACH]120523[/ATTACH]

I haven't bothered to check out any of the post-Jerry projects because it just wouldn't be the same.

Some of it is not so bad but it can be hit or miss. I went to something or other in SF in 96 and it was pretty dismal but other shows can be worth while.

A couple of friends of mine went out to the gorge at george last spring for the show and said it was a good time.

I caught one post Jerry show when they first started touring again with Kimock and Bruce under "The Other Ones." It was fun, just because, but yeah...

However, I will catch Phil as often as I can whenever he comes around. (Missed him this last time though.) If you dudes haven't heard heard the '99 Warfield shows he did with Kimock and John Molo, along with Trey and Page, you gotta check it out. Kimok and Trey were great together, everyone wad gelling and bringing the energy on high. Old heads were calling these shows some of the best they'd seen in years.

http://stash.nugs.net/phil/phriends.asp?artist=19&show=309&cmd=shows

Which is funny because as a kid I dreamed of hearing Trey and Jerry play together. That would have been something.

Theme, I'm with you on the '68-'72 era. Most of what I'll post (besides shows I was at) will probably be from that period, with some mid 70's stuff.

Here's some more shots of the Wall Of Sound. One of my friends from the early 90s who was in a band called Grape Escape (Moby Grape cover band) had a couple cabinets from that system. He bought them from Marine World (they were part of their PA system) in Redwood Shores, CA after they shut down.

grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-11.jpg

grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-12.jpg

grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-19.jpg

grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-16.jpg

grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-8.jpg

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression that in addition to having a shitload of speakers that the wall of sound was a breakthrough in other aspects of live acoustics as well, something about stereo vs mono or something. I do not recall the details.

Think that there will ever be anything like dead tour again? Certainly not without its problems but I can not imagine a band coming along today with a following in the tens of thousand traveling from city to city.

Post Jerry Phish tour got very close to the scale, especially in the late 90's. What was missing were a lot of the older, older heads. It didn't help things as far as keeping energy at an even kilter, but it was what it was, and the music was amazing. This past summer, it was interesting seeing Phish in their post-breakup phase. So many people are so much older. You could see a much broader spectrum of generations on the lot. It's a really great vibe. I think I'm starting to feel the way old deadheads did when Touch of Grey hit the airwaves, and I thoroughly enjoy it.