The BMX Thread

R@ndomH3ro

Fixed gears are fine for riding, I will give you that. It sucks to ride any distance over 5 miles on a bmx, so I have a commuter bike that I ride to work (its not a fixed, its a hybrid bike)

But to take a track bike and do lame tricks on it. (basic hopping, grinds) Its lame as shit and just a fad. Give me a tough BMX and we can ride some dirt and do it BIG, instead of that lame barspin bullshit those nerds on fixies do

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i agree one hundred percent that a majority of fixed gear riders werent riding bikes a year ago.

i just wondered if the fact that when you pedal backwards you move backwards opened up any new doors, but now that i think about i imagine it closes some. id hate to have to be pedaling the second i land after a while in the air.

im getting a fixed gear by the end of the summer for commuting, and like soul i want something thats not going to taco when i run into a curb hidden under leaves or go down a set of stairs.

yeah i agree one hundred percent that a majority of fixed gear riders werent riding bikes a year ago.

i just wondered if the fact that when you pedal backwards you move backwards opened up any new doors, but now that i think about i imagine it closes some. id hate to have to be pedaling the second i land after a while in the air.

im getting a fixed gear by the end of the summer for commuting, and like soul i want something thats not going to taco when i run into a curb hidden under leaves or go down a set of stairs.

If you get a freecoaster or a rachet hub on your bmx you can pedal backwards and do fakie tricks

here is an example

So really, those fixie trick dudes are doing nothing new

Fixed gear is california fruit and nut fag shit. Just sayin... and those queers are bleeding over into Austin, TX too... messenger bag mother fucker w/ a beard, yous a woman and that's a purse that you keep your vagina in for when your best fixed gear friends are around.

Also, BMX has taken a turn that I do not like. All the kids are tight pantses and emo, w/ seat posts that are literally 2 inches... and seats jacked so low you cannot even sit on the bike now. I actually asked a younger guy in a shop about this recently and he's like... you shouldn't ever sit down on your bike...

And I was just thinking of that little 4 frame comic thing in my mind where the last frame is this guy badly drawn saying FFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!! Oh and those tiny sprockets so you can do pedal grinds sighh.....

I still own a Standard Trail Boss 250 that's fully upgraded with parts that were good when that frame was out... and it's a SOLID bike... but doesn't look like what all this new shit everyone is riding is.... w/e i can STILL bunny hop higher after all these years...

• Like 1

you shouldn't ever sit down on your bike...

tell dude to take his seat off and sit down, he might enjoy the ride better.... honestly, I always sit on my bike, I ride a MTB, and I rarely get up to pump, I get more power sitting... when I rode 20 inch, my seat was high so I could get good power on that too, shit I was riding trails with MTB'rs on my 20 inch, and we didn't know what a "fixed" bike was. Unless you're riding trials, and doing some serious shit... no reason for that seat to be that low

Fixed gears are fine for riding, I will give you that. It sucks to ride any distance over 5 miles on a bmx,

my friend rode a little over 30 miles with me the other night on a bmx. i dont know how he managed that shit honestly.

we werent hauling ass the whole time or anything i was being considerate. but still. it was a long fucking ride on a bmx fer sure.

i was riding my bmx a year ago and the chain popped off while i was standing pedaling and i flew off and pretty much ruined my shoulder. i havent really touched one of those bikes since that shit. shoulder hurts right now. it sucks dick!!!

Yeah, I have ridden my bmx for over 10 miles multiple times. I wasnt doing any fabulous times but it did work. Also I never sit on my bmx, just personal taste. But when I need to get to work I would rather get there quick and efficiently so I have my road bike for that. But in times I dont care about time and I fuck around while I am going to work...I ride my bmx.

yeah i noticed from browsing some blogs that they were moving to 26'ers. they are basically just taking rigid mountainbikes, switching out the rear cog and taking off the brakes. basically just redline monocogs with a fixed in the back and no brakes.

can anyone give me more info on those bmx cruisers? i remember a long time ago when i almost bought a monocog i looked into the cruisers as well, would it be reasonable to put in 30 miles in one day on a cruiser?

would it be cheaper to just use buy a monocog?

how much do bmx cruisers go for?

hows the geometry compared to a mtb?

yeah i noticed from browsing some blogs that they were moving to 26'ers. they are basically just taking rigid mountainbikes, switching out the rear cog and taking off the brakes. basically just redline monocogs with a fixed in the back and no brakes.

can anyone give me more info on those bmx cruisers? i remember a long time ago when i almost bought a monocog i looked into the cruisers as well, would it be reasonable to put in 30 miles in one day on a cruiser?

would it be cheaper to just use buy a monocog?

how much do bmx cruisers go for?

hows the geometry compared to a mtb?

Most cruisers try to mimic the geo of a 20. Like that Sunday up there mimics the geo of a 20, cause old dudes ride cruisers and still want to trick on it.

Now putting 30 miles on a cruiser...why not? They are made for old dudes that want to still ride a bmx but dont want bad knees and be bent over.

A cruiser can go for 500 to 600 bucks, depending.

sweet.

now are there cruisers out there that are bottom of the line and all the components are only made to last one season like bottom of the line road bikes?

also, ive never seen 24 inch tires or tubes. is this a bike that most of my parts im going to have to buy online? i cant see having to replace anything other then tires, tubes, chain and brake pads. most of those i can get at my lbs.

also, what are some decent companies?

i know nothing about bmx, except that when i was about 13 i had to get stitches in my shin because my bmx bike didnt have brakes and i ran into a bench

Shit is progressing into smaller wheels anyways, it seems like they've grasped the point of a BMX bike. This is the newest frame on the market, 26" specific

DSC_1031.jpg

Looks fun as shit with a freewheel!

this is gay as fuck.

if you want to ride a rigid 26" bike ride a fucking ss mountain bike.

and put some brakes and a freewheel on that shit. you're not cool for having less control. these faggots think they're some piece of cycling evolution because they're ignoring sense at every turn.

and that sunday cruiser is fucking beautiful.

Have any of you guys ever given any thought to designing and welding your own frames? I know that there were a few "small shop" bmx places here in Austin that were making their own frames at one point. I forget the name, if I remember I'll share it... they were pricey probably because of the high overhead of being a small business.

I also don't see it being very "easy" to jump or do a lot of bmx stuff on a 26". I'm not saying it cannot be done but it's definitely going to be very cumbersome in comparison to whipping around a smaller 20" bike. I really like cruisers for just rolling around though because of their higher coasting speed.

il check out sunday, thanks for all the advice.

and on the frame building tip, ive looked into it (mainly because at the time i had access to a welder and machine shop. no cnc though.) and most of it is building a jig. that and you have to have a pipe cutter, and im not talking about the hand tool. i mean the thing that looks like a drillpress on its side with bits that look like hole-cut bits.

so the pipe cutter alone is atleast 750, unless they have gotten cheaper

the jig if you buy one is about a grand

decent welder 500-1000 (gas, etc included. but if your welding all day every day your going to want a NICE welder)

various tools can run you about 250 depending on what you already have

and then of course the metal, which i assume youd want to just do 4130 chromoly which is something like 50 a foot last i checked?

so its going to cost you A LOT unless you can buddy up with a guy who owns a auto shop that makes custom roll cages for cars and trucks, cus they will have everything you need. except for the metal.

edit: looking at the sundays, no gyro? so no barspins?

Have any of you guys ever given any thought to designing and welding your own frames? I know that there were a few "small shop" bmx places here in Austin that were making their own frames at one point. I forget the name, if I remember I'll share it... they were pricey probably because of the high overhead of being a small business.

Terrible One is in Austin

Their frames are not that expensive, they got an awesome ramp too...its in a lot of bmx vids, real fun to ride

Nah, FBM is east coast

Terrible One has always been there. i will email my brother in law and he can get the addy for you if you want to ride it. I dont remember where it was I never drove there (I think somewhere south like over on Mopac??) Its cool though

Also have to been to Empire? They have a cool bowl you can ride and plenty of gear if you want to update your ride.

okay, i dont think i want to drop almost 600 on a bike for a sport i might not even like.

so hows this for trying out the bmx world?

i think if i really like it, il buy a 20. i see how 24 inches could get troublesome and all that. but i want to try out bmx with a bike id atleast be semi comfortable riding around on

http://www.danscomp.com/107066.php#

is dk any good?

I also don't see it being very "easy" to jump or do a lot of bmx stuff on a 26". I'm not saying it cannot be done but it's definitely going to be very cumbersome in comparison to whipping around a smaller 20" bike. I really like cruisers for just rolling around though because of their higher coasting speed.

whaaaaaaaaaat?

just sayin' (watch on mute)