The BMX Thread

R@ndomH3ro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you do realise 4130 chromoly is a steel, right...

and you do realize i have no idea what im doing here, right...

and you do realize I AM NOT BUYING A SUNDAY UNLESS I FIND ONE COMPLETE UNDER 400, right...?

4130 is not steel, its a alloy of a mixture of metals and is lighter and stronger then steel

Also quit being visibly upset or I wont help your busted ass anymore, i am trying to find you a good bike buddy that wont be shitty as fuck to ride

http://www.danscomp.com/101643.php?cat=BIKES

thats in my budget^

21 inch top tube.

dont know anything about the brand though.

and im not buying a sunday, im not spending over 450. i want to be able to have some cash left over if any of the parts break or i decide i dont like them etc etc

http://www.danscomp.com/101545.php?cat=BIKES

This is a good bike with good parts.

You can upgrade, of course...but it will be good to ride as-is and a good price.

But really, most bikes at that price are basic and the more you spend on a complete, the less you will have to spend in the end on upgrading parts.

4130 is not steel, its a alloy of a mixture of metals and is lighter and stronger then steel

Also quit being visibly upset or I wont help your busted ass anymore, i am trying to find you a good bike buddy that wont be shitty as fuck to ride

didnt mean to come off as upset, but youve tried to sell me a sunday like a million times :lol:

i really do appreciate the help, all the bmx forums ive been to seem to be comprised of half retarded burnouts.

and bloodfart, that was what i was thinking. id rather spend the least amount possible on a complete and be able to upgrade it. as long as the frame fits i dont see anything wrong with being able to ride shitty components long enough to know what i like. because i assume the fact that its easy to find out if a frame works for you but hard to find out if a certain seat or pedals work for you translates to bmx. i know thats how it is in mountainbiking and road riding, you can take your specs and find a good frame but you cant really know what kind of seat your ass is going to like until you ride it (even though bontrager has this new system where you sit on a pressure plate and it suggests a seat for you)

but thanks for the reccomendation, is stolen a decent company overall? i was looking on danscomp and saw some stolen build kits that seemed pretty legit. and also, i noticed the frameson danscomp dont have the top tube length listed?

http://www.empirebmx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9548

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend shopping with these dudes if possible.

They will match DansComp prices on anything and will answer any questions you have about anything.

Dudes are super helpful and it's rider-owned, unlike DansComp which is basically the Wal-Mart of mail-order shops.

thanks for that link, i wasnt feeling how danscomp was set up, and i didnt know they were like that.

and if you dont mind me asking... whats the big deal with sunday anyways? what makes them different from other bikes that are similarly priced?

Really its the opposite in BMX, not just the fit is important in a frame but what its made of...anything not 4130 or at least half 4130 is going to be a tank. Some people like that shit for dirt jumps, but just starting out hopping an shit you are going to have to lift that tank around and pedal on it.

So get the lightest frame you can afford cause that is really half your weight on a bike besides wheels. Plus you dont want a shitty frame that is going to just brake on you and yes....you will brake a frame one day...so try to get one that will at least last

It's more important to get a frame that is built solid and will put up with some hardcore riding, over just buying what looks good or whatever.

For me, I pick shit like seats/pedals by color.

I mean, most seats aren't going to have much padding...and most of the time you'll be standing up anyways.

It's not like a roadbike where you'll be sitting for long-distances and have to worry about getting sore or whatever those riders face.

Seats are cheap and will probably be replaced a few times before you replace your entire bike.

Same with shit like pedals and brake pads and just typical shit that gets worn down with daily riding.

And with pedals, I always ride Wellgo magnesium because they are super light and cheap.

Personally, I hate any type of plastic pedal because if it's slightly wet outside, you tend to slip.

Plastic are lighter and come in better colors, but so fucking what.

Pedals aren't going to add so much weight that it will actually matter in the long run.

Really what you would probably end up changing out would be your gearing, depending on what type of riding you are doing and what type of speed you need.

Or your wheels/hubs/rims depending on what you'll be doing and where you'll be riding.

And like I said, I don't really see where you'd have a problem with a 20.75 unless you are like 7feet tall.

I loved my Stolen.

I upgraded a lot of parts, but not because the old ones shitted out on me, I just wanted more speed or did it purely for appearance on shit such as brake/brake levers, seat/seat post, pedals, sprocket.

thanks for that link, i wasnt feeling how danscomp was set up, and i didnt know they were like that.

and if you dont mind me asking... whats the big deal with sunday anyways? what makes them different from other bikes that are similarly priced?

Sunday makes some pretty incredible frames and parts. They go through a 41 heat treated process, are welded to be strong as fuck and are light as shit.

All Sunday has a lifetime warranty and I have NEVER seen anyone use it yet....really, I think there is even a contest on the internet on who can break one first.

They are a pretty legit company.

BUT, all the Sunday talk...I ride a Fly Pantera 2.5. LOL

DSC_0004.JPG

I love the shit out of it, but they dont make a complete of it. I bought the frame and just built everything to it, it was a lot of time, money and dealing with retards for parts but i love it

• Like 1

yes, i will be looking for the lightest bike possible. my mountainbike is a fully rigid 4130 build, weighs 31 pounds complete. shit SUCKS, if i rode more id spend some real money on it making it lighter (i could probably bring it down to 24ish, but thats after a few grand on new parts.)

whats a good weight to aim for in a 4130 complete build? i see alot of them at around 25 pounds, whats considered "high end" weight wise?

and ive got to agree with you on the upgrading by color and looks bit, my bike HAS to look good. i wont buy carbon fiber frames unless they are made to look like regular straight tubing frames, everything matches on all of my bikes, etc.

and yeah, i know i wont be spending much time in the saddle, i was just using it as an example. should have said something about how i prefer eggbeater clipless pedals over SPD's, even thought they cost the same and pretty much do the same.

i was looking at the gearing, but thats something i know i wont be able to make up my mind about before i try it. theonly single speed gearing ive ever ridden (other then some ridiculous fixed gearing) was 32 front 18 back, which is the preferred gearing for ss mountainbikes.

but its really good to see that all the "small things" (pedals, grips, etc) on bmx bikes rarely run over 50. im used to looking at top of the line pedals that cost 400, 300 dollar seats, etc.

and i promise when i upgrade anything on my future bike i will consider Sunday brand components before anything else :lol:

edit: jesus christ. you dont even fucking ride a sunday hahaha

double edit: thats a massive heater, never seen one that long before!

People now are real into having the lightest bike possible, but I never really cared so much.

I mean, I don't want a tank.

But I don't really feel a difference between a few pounds.

But that's just me and I'm just a little girl so what do I know.

I'd just say don't be a baby and get stronger legs.

Most parts are relatively cheap to upgrade, even if you're going to go top of the line.

I mean, unless you do dumb shit like my brother and have thousand dollar titanium rims that every time you snap a nipple or spoke it's a huge hassle to find someone that knows how to fix it and it costs an arm and a leg to get worked on.

yeah fuck that, i have a friend who spent about 8 grand on a singlespeed mountainbike and it isnt fun to ride at all. it weighs about 18 pounds but its the most uncomfortable thing ever. that and the second he lays it down in a rock garden, he has to replace the 4 thousand dollar frame.

okay, good to know about the weight.

im sure i could take a 25 pounder and trim it down to 23ish, im pretty good at taking heavy bikes and trimming the fat

yeah fuck that, i have a friend who spent about 8 grand on a singlespeed mountainbike and it isnt fun to ride at all. it weighs about 18 pounds but its the most uncomfortable thing ever. that and the second he lays it down in a rock garden, he has to replace the 4 thousand dollar frame.

okay, good to know about the weight.

im sure i could take a 25 pounder and trim it down to 23ish, im pretty good at taking heavy bikes and trimming the fat

Yeah you can....half of that is wheels, which are pricey but it can be done. Other shit is like bars, cranks, sprockets, seats and posts....and usually all cheap and easy to find used on the internet forums

haha i was just looking at that last bike, but im afraid that would also get me in with the hipster crowd.

and from what i read on other bmx forums, they dont take so kindly to easterns?

and yeah, im positivei can put road components on there (mainly brake, cables and levers, saddle and seatpost) to cut down on alot of weight

Well you wont have to worry about that, if you have a Light ass frame its probably made out of some titanium alien spacecraft type metal and wont break if you threw it against a truck going 60mph and hauling bowling balls

Like an S&M L.T.F (light as fuck) awesome frame, only weighs 3 pounds and is strong as shit.

haha i was just looking at that last bike, but im afraid that would also get me in with the hipster crowd.

and from what i read on other bmx forums, they dont take so kindly to easterns?

and yeah, im positivei can put road components on there (mainly brake, cables and levers, saddle and seatpost) to cut down on alot of weight

Like I said before, I'm a little girl (albeit a little girl with strong ass legs), but I've never had problems with any of my bikes being too heavy and I never build them with the intention of worrying about the weight at all.

Usually, you just get used to whatever weight it is and it's no problem.

But I guess it's all up to the person...if you feel like your bike is super heavy, you can cut weight pretty easily, but I have never been faced with the problem of feeling like my bike was too heavy for what kind of riding I was doing.

You can get super short seat posts or cut em to save weight, but I like a longer seat post just because my bike is a daily rider and I ride home from work with a backpack full of groceries and like to be able to sit down while going down big hills and not have to worry about it.

yeah im by no means a weight weenie (i race, and win, with a 31 pound mountainbike.) but when were talking about spending only a few hundred to shave off a few pounds on a already decent bike, its no problem.

wheras in mountainbiking if youve got a decent bike and you want to cut down on the weight your looking t replacing the fork or the wheelset which will run you atleast 500 in most cases

yeah i figured bmx frames wouldnt be carbon fiber, seeing as carbon fiber is insanely weak against impact.

but i dont think thered be anything wrond with putting cf brakes, levers and seatpost on a bmx bike

I wouldnt....dude you are going to be crashing a lot...you are going to be putting a lot of stress on part that shouldnt really have that stress.

Really, forget about road bikes and MTBs....BMX is diffrent, its like skate boarding. You are going to drop your bike, you are going to throw your bike, and you are going to get into some fucked up situations.

So BMX parts are made strong tough and light....dont put anyother shit on your bike besides a BMX part made from a legit company...trust me...you will thank me when you still have your teeth and your bike isnt demolished into pieces

The only BMX bike I have seen with CF parts is a race bike...and you aint racing buddy