serato/ traktor/ mac-books for the oontz

podrido

alright anyone on here use any of these programs? i dont know how many djs there are on here. so i was wondering fi you do use these programs how do u like them? or if anyone has anything negative to say about them? my friend told me that serato has a .2 second delay which is literally nothing, but he mentioned that sometime in january feb. they are releasing some sort of new interface along with re-releasing i-books for mac.

anyone got a scoop on this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'm a caveman, and will probably always be a caveman. i'm kind of scared of all that fancy buck rogers dj shit. i know people who swear by it, i know people who have sold off record collections, after MP3'ing them, and i know people who say "it's the same thing, but you actually have more control."

but fuck that!

my records are never going to freeze up on me. i mean, you might get a pop, but that's about it. if you know your records, you know if they skip, and where, if the levels need to be bumped or lowered, and all those flaws can really be managed. but laptops, they can fuck up, freeze, overheat, power down. my buddy was at some three day long dj event in the midwest. they had a bunch of tents set up, and this one dude was doing a hip hop set on serato (or some laptop oriented MP3 demon machine). so the dude is doing his thing, and the fucking crowd is bumping. then all of a sudden --crickets. his fucking laptop froze on him. so they announced "technical blah blah blah" and after 10 minutes, shit came back on. the crowd gets going again, and the shit happens again 15 minutes later. i guess most of the crowd ended up walking out.

so i guess there are pro's and con's to this, just like everything else. i just hope it doesn't become harder to find spots with turntables.

all my friends who spin with serato, usually bring a bag of records, just incase shit hits the fan.

plus theres some shit that they dont have or havent transfered to mp3 that theyd rather play on vinyl.

i think its the way to go, when youre spinning some wack dance shit to make the paper, cause i look back when i was spinning parties, and think when the fuck will i ever need to spin "In Da Club" by 50 cent ever again? why waste 5 bucks on the single when i could download that shit for free, then forget about it after that party.

Serato is pretty fucking awesome. I can certainly see the arguments against it, and it kind of sucks how easy it makes it for any asshole to get into DJing and start juggling shit that I searched for 5 years to find a single vinyl copy of. But for the mobile DJ, it's life changing. Instead of spending an hour pulling records before a gig, and then trying to carry the 3 thirty pound crates you've selected through a crowded ass club, only to have everyone decide they're not feeling what you brought and start requesting a bunch of shit that you left at home, you just roll into the place with your backpack and a laptop with 10,000 songs on it. The time and heavy lifting it saves you are worth the cost. That's without even counting the money you don't spend on crappy singles that everyone wants to hear for a month, and then never again.

Or, you can do what I do, and just try to find everything on 45. It's way more of a pain in the ass, but you look cooler.

If you want detailed info you should check the Wave Music message board. You can find tons of info on there. I run through Traktor 3 and find that its fairly easy to use. I haven't got everything set up though. That will take some time.

I do suggest that if you burn vinyl to digital.. Use a WAV. format. Even @320 files still aren't as good sounding as they should be. I try not to play anything that was recorded at less than 320.

podriod:

Yo the Word is Serato.

Top notch DJ app. I've used it and my boy was a regional DMC winner and can

scratch and juggle the shit out of that software no problems. The better your

Mac with more ram the smoother it will work.

Yeah the advice about 320 is on point but a good soundsystem will make any

compression artifacts noticible even at 320.

The real business is Abletons Live.

DJ, studio production and live sequencing with all kinds of Fucken Dope virtual

instruments. SOOOOOOOOOOOO simple to use once you wrap your head around

the clip view.

If you want to get into a more detailled convo hit me with a PM.

You're on the right track. No pun intended. Ha ha.

yeah..i savin some cash for serato and a 4gb mac book...all my friends are wantin me to spin at there parties now...so shit..$1000 is the amount needed for both..

where can you find a 4gig macbook for less than a G? get at me, cause I'm needing one of those joints.

there's no such thing as a '4gb macbook'. and serato itself is about $500, so whatever dude is talking about is nonsense.

chupacabra,

its not just software, there's a hardware interface that you need otherwise you can't use the software.

serato really is the dopest thing in the world. i spend all day tusday downloading music, then i go and play it tuesday night. i havent played an actual record in months.

as far as audio quality is concerned, i don't think you can really use the same 320, 192, 128 rating system when it comes to vinyl. original vinyl im sure plays at less than '320'. i play shit coded at 128 all the time and it sounds fine. then again, im drunk and its rap, so who knows.

you can get a macbook with 4gigs of ram, the new santa rosa chipsets support it, i just ordered 4 gigs for my macbook pro as i am typing this right now...

DONT BUY RAM FROM APPLE THEY WANT 700 FOR 4 GB'S GOTO http://www.macsales.com/

CHEAP AND RELIABLE 100 FOR 4 GBS

and with bit and sample rates, there is a big difference in 128 and 320, if I wasnt lazy i could rip from CD one lossless, one at 320, and 128 and tracks with only what your missing...youd be surprised, everything from 12khz on up is rolled off hard in mp3's..try it, get a cd you know and love rip a track at 128 and listen to the highs..reverb trails, sibilence, and nice high shit like cymbals and high hats just sound less defined and almost like shakers...

i hate dj kayslay, he can produce but puts his stupid voice over all the tracks on every fucking album.

that's all i gotta say

if you got windows and want to rip music off myspace to use to mix/remix/etc. look for orbit, it's dope and less money to spend on vinyl now, get those singles

all irrelevant,b ut fuck it

i know one thing...buying singles and records just for some lame song that some drunk douche in the back wants to hear cause he heard it on MTV is lame.

And my nigga Pod aint no 25 year old white kid just getting into the game...dude has mad skillz that make the girls go crazy on the floor. And i dont even listen to that music. But I have been there to see it happen.

yeah it basically comes down to this.

i lug around 3 bags of records thats about

100 lbs give or take. even with those 3 bags there is always a request i dont have or something i should have brought.

now as for 25 yr old white kids i see how u can totally come to that conclusion, because i see that myself. but for ppl like me and craze, induce and contra.

who are over 25 yrs old

serato is what it is. craft or no craft, see i will still buy records always will why? because i love collecting and digging. i dont understand kids who have never dug for a record getting into djing. not knowing how to dig? or find that break

thats lame. thats like buying that one show me how to write video and going out and doing straight jocked burners and your handstyle is mad weak.

i do agree that everyone needs to put in work. and do your homework. in whatever craft you do

nothing ever comes easily and if it does, appreciate that.