i need book reccomendations

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rant

Haunted

Survivor....all by: Chuck Palahniuk

cats cradle

slaughterhouse five

welome to the monkey house

galapagos...all by: Kurt Vonnegut JR

fear and loathing in las vegas

the great shark hunt

the curse of lono...all by Hunter S Thompson

the whole dark tower series, all seven books...by Stephen King

'Hit Man' publisher settles Oregon lawsuit

By The Associated Press

Printer-friendly page

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. — The publisher of a technical manual for hit men settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who fought off a hired killer who used the book as a guide.

Bobby Joe Wilson sought at least $4.5 million in damages from Paladin Press of Boulder, Colo., in a lawsuit filed in federal court in Eugene in September 2000. The case was scheduled for trial next week.

The sides won't disclose terms as part of the settlement agreement, said Lloyd Berstein, a Portland lawyer representing Paladin.

Paladin Press publishes titles such as The Anarchist Cookbook, Be Your Own Undertaker: How to Dispose of a Dead Body and Silencers for Hand Firearms.

The lawsuit was the first to be filed after a similar lawsuit in Maryland triggered national concern that free-speech rights might erode as more people blame publishers and movie producers for crimes inspired by their work.

But Wilson's lawyer, Don Corson of Eugene, said yesterday that the lawsuit boiled down to whether the publisher conspired or aided and abetted in the crime against Wilson. The settlement reached Feb. 5 didn't require the publisher to curtail any of its book production or distribution, he said.

"This was not a case where First Amendment defenders were rising up. This kind of activity was not generally recognized as being protected by the First Amendment," Corson said.

The case began in 1998 while Wilson and her husband, Robert Leslie Goggin, 29, were getting a divorce. Goggin hired Robert Vaughn Jones, also 29, to murder his wife in exchange for $100,000 from her life insurance policy.

Goggin and Jones each were sentenced in 1999 to 17 1/2 years in prison for the attack.

In court, Jones testified that Goggin recruited him to kill Wilson. Jones said he then purchased Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors, published by Paladin Enterprises.

In her lawsuit, Wilson outlined two dozen points of advice from the book that Jones followed to the letter in planning to kill her.

The advice covered such points as disposing of evidence, creating a disguise, selecting weapons and avoiding conviction if caught, according to court records in the case.

A spokesman for Paladin Enterprises said company officials won't comment about whether Wilson's lawsuit caused them to alter their business practices.

In defending the Maryland lawsuit, Paladin lawyers had claimed Hit Man was intended for a broad audience of crime buffs and mystery writers. However, the company agreed in September 2000 to stop selling the book in a settlement of the Maryland lawsuit.

or did you stalk that one pole vault bitch too hardcore...?

:lol::lol:

Kingdom Of Fear". It's Hunter S. Thompsons autobiography and it's 110% awesome.

He helped a lot of people stay out of jail and god knows how he managed to stay out himself.

Edit/Add on: You're not actually going to jail are you?

I hope it doesn't suck as bad as the last one.

hah! im sorry, what? i didnt know any non pedophilic males over the age of 14 actually read harry potter.

*since becoming unemployed i have picked up where i left off and just finished hp 4 and started hp 5.

Loved books 1-5. 5 is in my humble, the best of the series. 6 was pisspoor. She changed her writing style, and the whole thing was filled with extremely important things that were rushed through unlike her other books and previously established styles of going very indepth into everything. She is tired of the series and wants it done. and so we will all suffer.

Loved books 1-5. 5 is in my humble, the best of the series. 6 was pisspoor. She changed her writing style, and the whole thing was filled with extremely important things that were rushed through unlike her other books and previously established styles of going very indepth into everything. She is tired of the series and wants it done. and so we will all suffer.

I was fucking angry after finishing the last one. I was totally pissed off actually. I agree with you 100%. She obviously decided her own life was more important than her writing and oh shit was she wrong. Bitch should be strung up. I hope at least one person had a fucking hard word with her after that last book and got her to sort her shit out. However, this next book apparently being the last, I can't see how it's possibly.

Seeking is going to be pumped when he notes that his thread has become a Harry Potter fan fair.