the un official workout thread

podrido

Yeah. All calisthenics. They love it because they dont have to work out in a gym to exercise. There's also something very ego-massaging about misusing equipment to do exercises nobody's ever seen before.

But yeah, Casek, I know you got knee probs so I'm tellin you this: check out yoga. Most knee issues are actually hip problems that yoga can correct.

This knee prob is the result of two metal bars being screwed into the knee. I don't

think yoga can help that. I've got a p90x yoga dvd that I may check out. It might

be useful.

If you're interested, I have the BarTendaz dvd.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Thats completely not true. Most people, regardless if they even workout at all, have bad posture. Thats because we spend most of our lives sitting, hunched over in cars, at work, on bicycles etc. Various sports are notorious for making athletes with bad posture like boxers, MMA fighters, etc. Even the amount you wear shoes can throw off your musculoskeletal system.

And isolation exercises don't lead to bad posture. People who dont isolate and work out the corresponding muscle have bad posture... which is almost every dude in the gym. Guys love to only work out the parts that they can see.

i dont know where in the hell you are getting this....

if doing actual lifts instead of curls does one thing... it gives you AWESOME posture.

my posture is perfect once learned to squat like a man, dead lift, etc.

most of the movements that people do for 'aesthetics' is nothing but iso work. even the bench press. when doing a typical commercial gym/body builder style bench press, only the chest and tri's are hit, and usually they dont even get their tri's involved. when you do a power bench press, your whole damn body is sore when you get out of position. all the weight is on your upper back, which is tensed like a mofo. your lower back is arched hard. the tri's lock it out and most of the weight is on them. the descend is mostly your lats. you are driving through your legs.

the proper squat and dead lift stance leads to awesome posture. guaranteed. most people dont even know how to arch their back at all until they start to do these lifts.

but your point about working opposing muscles is a good one for one reason... it will increase the weight on your lifts. if you want to bench big, the first thing to do is bent over row to where you touch on the b. press.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss26.htm

What's the one thing you always see guys doing in the gym? Presses. What's the last thing you ever see guys doing in the gym? Back exercises. What's the result? Most guys look gawky with their shoulders rolled forward and huge traps. Reason for this is because as you work out and tire the pecs, the deltoids and traps have to overcompensate, extending further forward. Then other muscles have to compensate for those muscles and so on.

the last thing guys do in the gym is leg work and/or squats the proper way.

and it is the height of stupidity to bench or military press without rows and chins for accessory work

self-bump

i think its your achilles

ice it for 15 minutes before bed every day

edit: didnt realize everyone already answered. but its just inflammed, ice it and keep running. running long distance on it would actually help a bit, your achilles just isnt used to running. and if your sporadically stressing it, its gonna get pissed, calm down and then get pissed again.

happened to me and coach just cut my milage in half, told me to ice it and keep running.

some of you guys with the know how should put together what you know and post it up to help the rest of us . never knew you had to to pull ups etc after benching i usually just bench curl and do some squats then move onto the leg press,im also looking into starting a martial art if anyone has any recomendations..although im pretty biased towards wing chun after watching ip man ..

there are a few different methods for strength.

some, like rippetoe dont do alot of assistance work for their moves. other systems like westside and variants use repetition/body building style assistance work to train the muscles that support the lift. the weak muscles for the most part.

on squat day, you squat, then do lots of hamstring/ass/hip flexor, ab, low back work. bench day, you do your bench movement, then work lats, upper back, tris in a semi body building style. most consider westside the best basic method for getting strong once you are past a beginner level.

if you just bench and you cant row atleast 50-60% of your bench this needs to be brought up.

this got driven home when a guy i've been hanging around at the gym was doing 405x3 on the bench, then would row 365x5-8.

Funny. I was gonna ask you about that tire and the sledgehammer.

I haven't built my sled. Decided to look around for a flat sheet of metal (found),

some piping, and something to use as runners. Now I need to cut the metal sheet

and bend it, weld, etc.

Here's 20 of the best fitness blogs:

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2006/11/20_of_the_best_fitness_blogs.html

and the girls of Gorilla Fitness.....

http://wildgorillaman.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZ-U7smHM4

hahah I know i have to look like a psycho doing this but seriously its awesome.

its like chopping wood without having to clean up, or fuck with wood and axes.

i really want to make that medicine ball in the net or whatever, amazing!

i only do it twice a week cause it really goes in on your shoulders and upper back, which i already do a lot of and i dont wanna injure something.

since starting a more strict calesthenics routine and those metabolism accelerators (i honestly dont know how much they do im pretty good about eating good or small portions if not so healthy) ive definitely noticed changes in my physique (i got a sweet ass 4 pack and i drink a lot hahaha) and DEFINITELY in strength.

ive noticed also my muscles are not only stronger but theyre more useful, better stronger more accurate when i hit the bag, hand strength and grip strength are noticeable too.

over all im really happy and im gonna follow closely the next 3 months

as i quit smoking cigs and drinking.

Casek you still fuck with that e-cig shit? :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, I still puff an e cig. I've got plenty of stress in my life and it helps a little.

I've got something for you to do: Sandbags. You can toss those fuckers, heave them

up on a shoulder, squat, drop that nigga on the ground, repeat with other side. Or, you

can lug that sandy ass fool around on your back like you were rescuing your point man

from a massive firefight with a bunch of gooks in Vietnam, or you can fireman carry that

bitch and drop it, then straddle it and beat the shit out of it like you were Royce Fucking Gracie.

P.S.: Found on ChaosandPain, AOD will probably appreciate this stuff

"The Golden Age of Iron Men" various books and such on the old timers.

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/compindex.htm

I've got something for you to do: Sandbags. You can toss those fuckers, heave them

up on a shoulder, squat, drop that nigga on the ground, repeat with other side. Or, you

can lug that sandy ass fool around on your back like you were rescuing your point man

from a massive firefight with a bunch of gooks in Vietnam, or you can fireman carry that

bitch and drop it, then straddle it and beat the shit out of it like you were Royce Fucking Gracie.

I fucking love sandbags.

Shifty fucking pricks.

Ip Man is a badass, but I wish it were possible to resurrect Bruce Lee and watch him slay everyone who fancies themselves as an "I train MMA, br0."

Bump that video.

MMA wouldn't be where it is without Bruce Lee, though. Fighters train mostly for strenght, speed, agility, and to keep their bodies 'fighting fit' ... EXACTLY just what Bruce Lee did.

But then some jerkoffs made the decision to make appearance the ONLY priority, throwing strength and health down the drain.

Id rather drive a simple-looking v8 muscle car with so much torque and horsepower than a Lamborghini with a 4-cylinder motor, if you know what I mean.

"I train MMA br0."

:lol::lol::lol:

no ones ever made a sandbag sound so appealing.

looks like i need me some sandbags to beat up on.

slowly im gathering all the workings of a gladiator school hah.

I was lookin into that keto diet on BB.com... shit looks hard to pull off.

They say a max number of carbs a day is 50... that's like 2 slices of bread, or a banana. And that your breath starts to reek.

Could you still take multivitamins while on the diet? What about dairy products?

First week or so is weird.

After that it's no big deal.

Plus you get to do the carb up on the weekend.

The breath thing doesn't happen to everybody and it's not really a funk but rather a slight metallic taste.

If you work out everything you usually eat in calories or grams and take a deficit into account beforehand it's much easier to track your results.

You can take a multivitamin.

This link explains it pretty well.

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-ckd-cyclical-ketogenic-diet.html