the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Anyone using kettlebells?

Thoughts? Tips? Useful links?

Bought my kettlebells (although if you're considering buying I'd say just buy one) along with a door pull up bar during wintertime when I lost my license/couldn't make it to the gym anymore. These two things combined with a developed addiction to running has been 10x more affective in getting in shape/staying in shape than my gym membership ever was.

i love my kettlebells, although feel a little ridiculous sometimes if someone watches while i'm doing swings. They're very versatile and a lot of fun to just play around with if you don't end up hurting yourself. Which is the only downside I can think of - it's pretty easy to hurt your back or shoulder if you're doing something incorrectly. In the beginning i remember throwing my back out and being out for like two weeks - shit sucked. Also I get crazy popping sounds in my shoulder when doing certain exercises, there's no pain but it certainly doesn't sound good.

check out the FAQ thread on the forum @ dragondoor.com

Enter the Kettlebell is pretty standard reading to get started

learning technique is a really important and can be a tedious/painful learning process but overall i feel a lot stronger since combining it into my workout. That said it's a lot more about muscle/body strength than muscle mass/building.

• Like 1

actually, other way around. theres only 3 black people on our roster of 102 :lol:

also, the heat really isnt that bad when you do everything in the heat for years. im just used to it. i also drink atleast 1.5 gallons a day, and sweat it all out. being on a run and not sweating is a TERRIBLE feeling.

and lastly, i dont look like i have aids. but thanks.............. haha

beat my personal record today by 37 seconds. our school won every single class, boys and girls varisty, boys and girls junior varsity and even the developmental (people slower then 25 minutes for a 5k) placed first. this is significant because our rival team has won almost every single race in varsity for about 20 years.

not if he has something to motivate him.

first week of training (keep in mind, a mile and a half was out of my comfort zone) we did 6 miles first day, 5 the second, 4 the third, 3 the fourth and 2 the fifth. just to weed out the pussies, the week after everyone who was a first time runner was bumped down to about a mile and a half. people who quit couldnt re join, and were umad.

edit: yes recovery, but isnt this just his second workout? recover on the weekend if thats the case. and by recover, dont do anything. at all.

not if he has something to motivate him.

first week of training (keep in mind, a mile and a half was out of my comfort zone) we did 6 miles first day, 5 the second, 4 the third, 3 the fourth and 2 the fifth. just to weed out the pussies, the week after everyone who was a first time runner was bumped down to about a mile and a half. people who quit couldnt re join, and were umad.

edit: yes recovery, but isnt this just his second workout? recover on the weekend if thats the case. and by recover, dont do anything. at all.

Is it not the same for runners as it is for bodybuilders/strength training? Does DOMS not affect you guys as much?

Here's a good article I came across:

The Myth of Non-Functional Hypertrophy

If you read my articles you know that explosiveness is largely dependent upon strength, and strength is fairly influenced by muscular growth, or hypertrophy. In this article I'd like to address another topic along these lines and this the topic of functional vs non-functional hypertrophy. Non-functional hypertrophy refers to gains in muscle size that aren't associated with an improved capacity to produce force. "Functional" hypertrophy refers to gains in muscular size that improve maximal force production, and thus carry over into the real world. Simple enough.

Manufactured Strength Vs Natural Strength

Before I get into it I'd like to point out that no supplemental training method is perfect and has a perfect transfer to sport. The practice of adding strength and size thru weight training in an attempt to apply the benefits of that strength and size to a sport is effective but it won't ever be perfect. You're basically manufacturing something that wasn't there to begin with - You're allowing your body to adapt to one stimulus and then applying those adaptations to another area. It really is cheating in a way. The only thing that isn't cheating would be actually playing the sport and letting your body adapt naturally. However, we know there are limits to that. But this is one reason why people that have "natural" strength, size, and power will generally have a "functional" strength advantage over those who have to manufacture it. Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Mike Tyson rarely if ever lifted a weight. Compare them to muscled up guys like Frank Bruno, Tony Mandarich, and Vernon Gholston. Manufacturing size and strength isn't perfect regardless of how you acquire it, but it beats the alternative and can allow you to compete at a level you wouldn't have.

Rest of article:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/nonfunctionalmyth.html

GYM BUDDIES :D

i got wasted last night on souther comfort and shots no more beer belly?

never have a hang over so didnt mind the gym this morning at 6am did 3x12 on the leg press and 3x8 squats and just a light session with the free weights then hopped in the pool and did some laps then chilled a bit and im heading up to london for the day so a fair bit of walking about should add to the burnnnnnn

......learning technique is a really important and can be a tedious/painful learning process but overall i feel a lot stronger since combining it into my workout. That said it's a lot more about muscle/body strength than muscle mass/building.

Thanks!

I've been looking to supplement my cycling with some strength training (which I've completely neglected recently). And kettlebells have come up a few times so I'm gonna give it a try.

I'M DOING IT WRONG.

Fuck this is frustrating.

I workout. I've been working out for at least a few weeks now and I've improved my diet and stayed away from shit food... but I've only showing slightest fucking improvements. Im skinny fat, thin clothes on, all fatboy in the midsection.

I do simple stuff. Pushups, diff workouts with the dumbbells, just started squats and run a couple miles every 3-4 days. My schedule pretty much allows that.

It's off putting as fuck when you feel like you put in work and NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL.

Fuck, I dunno. All you dudes seem like pros and I have shit knowledge of what I'm doing. I google shit and read.

Is it not the same for runners as it is for bodybuilders/strength training? Does DOMS not affect you guys as much?

put that in laymans terms and i can tell you.

but i think i know what your saying, and the answer is no. distance runners rely on slow twitch muscles. sprinters rely on fast twitch, to put it in perspective (of course, when we pick up the pace for the last half mile and go 80 percent for the last 200 meters and all out sprint the last 50 yards we use fast twitch. which is why you can still sprint after running 3 miles)

also, nike lunarflys are some sickass shoes. the most cushioning ive ever seen in a running shoe, with a stiff sole for less energy loss. for 75 bucks you cant beat it.

I'M DOING IT WRONG.

Fuck this is frustrating.

I workout. I've been working out for at least a few weeks now and I've improved my diet and stayed away from shit food... but I've only showing slightest fucking improvements. Im skinny fat, thin clothes on, all fatboy in the midsection.

I do simple stuff. Pushups, diff workouts with the dumbbells, just started squats and run a couple miles every 3-4 days. My schedule pretty much allows that.

It's off putting as fuck when you feel like you put in work and NOTHING HAPPENS AT ALL.

Fuck, I dunno. All you dudes seem like pros and I have shit knowledge of what I'm doing. I google shit and read.

Give it time. You won't see instant results. Just give it time and keep working hard.

If you want, I'll zip some books up and PM them to you.

put that in laymans terms and i can tell you.

but i think i know what your saying, and the answer is no. distance runners rely on slow twitch muscles. sprinters rely on fast twitch, to put it in perspective (of course, when we pick up the pace for the last half mile and go 80 percent for the last 200 meters and all out sprint the last 50 yards we use fast twitch. which is why you can still sprint after running 3 miles)

also, nike lunarflys are some sickass shoes. the most cushioning ive ever seen in a running shoe, with a stiff sole for less energy loss. for 75 bucks you cant beat it.

DOMS=delayed onset muscle soreness. Yeah, I think I've got ya since you explained it.