rest in peace - TOWER RECORDS is out of business

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: tower records - out of business

Wow. Ditto on the graff mag history. 99% of my graff mags were Tower bought, including my fist two. Skills and Styles for Miles.

yeah, same here...

I still have the first few issues of Can Control that i got from there years ago. They were the first stores i knew of to carry graffiti magazines.

Damn, this really sucks to hear. Some of the Tower stores I went to usually had at least one bangin' asian girl working there....goddamnit

RIP Tower

Re: tower records - out of business

yeah, same here...

I still have the first few issues of Can Control that i got from there years ago. They were the first stores i knew of to carry graffiti magazines.

Damn, this really sucks to hear. Some of the Tower stores I went to usually had at least one bangin' asian girl working there....goddamnit

RIP Tower

I got my first issue of can control like 10 years ago. Do they still make that mag?

Life Sucks Die was the best graff mag ever

Does WYWS even have graff anymore?

LSD was great weren't tehy? those guys used to hook me up with lot's of free shit.

WYWS.....naw, they decided to turn themselves into a half assed "street" version of Maxim. There's no graff in it. Shai hulud was telling me that Sophia Coppola came on as creative director and the editor said "Uh, yeah....I quit".....then it tanked 2-3 issues later.

I'm not too disapointed to see them go, as I prefer independent shops that sell vinyl, and I rarely see graffiti mags in Tower anymore anyways.

It does suck if it will be a major blow to magazine distributors, though. I still love graffiti magazines, and would rather look at an old Scribble, 12 ounce, or Skills magazine than Brickslayers anyday. I've got a milkcrate full of graff mags spanning the past decade, and they are among my most prized and protected posessions. As far as I'm concerned, they will never become obsolete. Any time I'm going to be taking a bus, plane, or train ride, I pull out two or three to bring along. It's nice to be able to keep up with the newest shit around via the internet, but you can't beat the portability and quality control that a mag provides.

They don't make Can Control any more.

WYWS sucked as soon as Roger Gastman left.

Beautiful Decay is no longer as graff heavy as their first four or five issues, but they still put in some nice stuff. The Private Stock section is always interesting.

LSD was awesome. I definitely miss that magazine. I feel like Day in The Lyfe tries to imitate what they were doing, but with lower quality pictures.

Scribble was the shit. Almost no ads, great quality, great content, if maybe a little nepotistic.

And not to sound kiss-assy, but 12 Ounce was honestly the best graffiti magazine, in my opinion. I would love to see another magazine with that caliber of quality design, content, and production value.

On the Go was also a fantastic magazine, even though it was not strictly graffiti. I actually got into hip hop through them, because I would buy it for the graff flicks, and then end up reading it cover to cover because the writing was so good. I remember reading interviews with Redman and De La Soul in the early 90s, and being like, "damn, I should check out these albums."

Sorry for the tangent, but I looooove me some graffiti magazines. If I could afford to waste money on an almost certainly profitless venture, I would turn some of my 5,000 graffiti flicks into a magazine. Maybe someday.

R.I.P. for reals.

I bought LOTS of music from tower records in the early to mid 90's (late 90's I discovered a thing called mp3's)...and I bought lots of graffiti magazines too....also books for english classes in high school.

interesting fact:

The first tower records store opened in my home town (sacramento, ca)....and it was named after the historic tower theater...cause the first tower records (books/movies)...is across the street from the tower theater.....

tower.jpg

Tower is/was like a one-stop shop for some dope books, music, videos, and mags.

They had a lot of books/mags you wouldn't find at the local borders books. (not just graff)

Plus they had the larger variety of other tyes of music. ie. reggae

Shit you can't grab at local mom and pops or walmarts or wherever.

I'm gonna go to tower and try to clean out the Trojan Box Sets.

What about Flashbacks? Mass Appeal? Those were dope mags, especially Flashbacks. It was more of an NY mag, but very good. Backjumps was the only Euro mag I liked that I could go to a store and buy at the time, right along with spray tips they kept behind the counter. Cant forget the Can Control Freights issue. I still have that in very good condition. I sometimes wonder if any of those cars are still running with that mid 90's style.

WYWS.....naw, they decided to turn themselves into a half assed "street" version of Maxim. There's no graff in it. Shai hulud was telling me that Sophia Coppola came on as creative director and the editor said "Uh, yeah....I quit".....then it tanked 2-3 issues later.

I remember that, his last issue his editor letter actually said how he felt the magazine had totally turned into shit, totally catered to advertisers and fashion, and basically lost all of the things that made it unique in the first place. It was an awesome letter, ballsy. The magazine had been garbage by that point for the last couple of issues but it really sucked hard after that.

Guest spectr

Its really no big suprise that they are going out of business. it has been a long time coming..

and yes tower did have the great selection of mags i used to cop phantom and mass appeal there back in the day..

I remember that, his last issue his editor letter actually said how he felt the magazine had totally turned into shit, totally catered to advertisers and fashion, and basically lost all of the things that made it unique in the first place. It was an awesome letter, ballsy. The magazine had been garbage by that point for the last couple of issues but it really sucked hard after that.

yeah....while you were sleeping was awful towards the end.

What about Flashbacks? Mass Appeal? Those were dope mags, especially Flashbacks. It was more of an NY mag, but very good. Backjumps was the only Euro mag I liked that I could go to a store and buy at the time, right along with spray tips they kept behind the counter. Cant forget the Can Control Freights issue. I still have that in very good condition. I sometimes wonder if any of those cars are still running with that mid 90's style.

it appears mass appeal is going the same route as wyws

Guest spectr
tower had good graff mags, but ALOT of it was european....which is cool and all, but i wanted to see more us stuff....

tower always carried the local shit to though, they made it a point to let everyone have a outlet for what they were doing.. most stores that size don't do that you have to jump through hoops to get your shit inside there..