Post your desktop biatches

saint seiya

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?file=files/270606/1151374616/SCRSHT2.jpg

The update....Torsmo is up there in the corner- it just tells me what my RAM and network are doing, processes, CPU usage, etc. It's extendable, so if I want to monitor other processes all I have to do is insert a few lines into the script and it dutifully adds them to the output.

The big blue thing next to Lenny's head is mc- Midnight Commander, the BEST file manager I've ever used...it alllows me to edit scripts and preview them in runtime within the window.

BTW, this is mostly for casek, mainter, and fuse...they know what I'm talking about. Everyone else seems to think I'm some kind of nerd...and, they're right.

I wrote a bunch of stuff about it in the computer thread....none of it technical, just a comparison between Open Source, MS, and Apple, and a general idea of the differences and good and bad points of each one.

Mostly, I'm into UNIX systems, but UNIX has never really worked for me so I just use Linux. It has some features I don't like that are kernel-based, such how memory allocation is handled. I may end up making my own distro someday. Give me a couple years. It will happen.

I just don't like having to fix thing in Windows. The code is ugly and confusing, and it seems like XP did a lot of things in the background that usually did more harm than good in the long term. I definitely do not miss regedit- now I can fix scripts in Emacs and run them while keeping a copy of the old script in case the new one doesn't work.

Okay, I'm getting carried away. Fuse is the man when it comes to Linux- he uses Slackware 10.2...now, THAT is some real nerd shit. My system is Slackware based, but I didn't have to spend as much time on mine as he probably did. He has my respect just for getting it to work...I never could. Maybe now i could do it, but it's a pain in the ass.

Which distro did you try?