Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by H. Lecter@Aug 6 2005, 08:58 AM

Huge bump for "A Cidade De Jesus" / "City Of God"

--------

The essential electronic music documentary~

modulationscinema.jpg

Full history and vast information to put the music,the scene and the time in perspective.

Featuring Music and Interviews by nearly all of the innovators new and old alike~

Marshall Jefferson

Derrick May

Derrick Carter

Juan Atkins/ Model 500

Kevin Saundersen

Carl Cox

Giorgio Moroder

John Cage

Robert Moog

LTJ Bukem

Danny Tenaglia

DJ Sneak

Joey Beltram

X-Men/ X- Ecutioners

ISP/ Invisible Scratch Pickles

Roni Size

Ken Ishii

DB

DJ Funk

Afrikka Bambatta

and more more and more~

Beautifully arranged~ with footage and music from all over the world

Must have for anyone into electronic music~

It covers every denomination of electronic music out there from Electro to House, Trance to Jungle, Hip Hop to Disco..

Originally posted by Steve Miller@Aug 2 2005, 11:43 AM

251-1-man_bites_dog.jpg

artsy, foreign, mindlessly violent. includes a rape scene, child being suffocated with a pillow, and countless other murders

If you liked that you would probably like Naked.

Morbid apocalyptic poetry in motion.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0107653/

I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last night. That was the shit.

But mostly I watch anime. I'm in the middle of watching Wonderful Days right now. This is the most expensive movie ever produced by South Korea and it is top notch.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0353014/

All the reviews were stolen except where noted, but all the movies are dope.

eXistanZ

existenz.jpg

This is a hard to follow mystery sci-fi about a virtual reality game designer who's games seem completely real using bio input. Infact the game seems too real and we (the audience) find it hard to follow which is the real world as they constantly come out of one game into the 'real' world. The characters in the film are not completely sure if they are still in the game either, and as a result the 'game scenario' which is continually designed by the 'collective' imaginative inputs from those in the game resort to acts of violence to survive unsure if when they killed someone whether it was for real.

This is a sad but possible future in a world of total immersion without rules. We have to be careful.

***They plug into a port in the base of the spine and "jack in" to the game... pretty twisted.

CANNIBAL: THE MUSICAL

tr_cannibal.jpg

WRITER/DIRECTOR: Trey Parker and Matt Stone

CANNIBAL: THE MUSICAL is the true story of the only person convicted of cannibalism in America - Alferd Packer. Packer, the sole survivor of an ill-fated trip to the Colorado Territory tells his side of the harrowing tale to news reporter Polly Prye as he awaits his execution: Searching for gold and love in the Colorado Territory he and his companions lost their way and resorted to unthinkable horrors and toe-tapping songs!!!

**!!!THIS WAS TREY AND MATTS FIRST FILM!!!

LIGHT YEARS

102248.jpg

Originally in French, this English-dubbed sci-fi animation tale concerns technology turned evil in a strange, strange land.

In Gandahar, Prince Sylvain has created for the past millennium a peaceful culture in which its people, animals and ecology thrived. Gandahar's inhabitants enjoy a healthy bounty typified by liquid blue trees that bear basketball-sized fruit.

This utopia is then shattered by a technological disaster, which creates an automated monster. Sylvain learns he must somehow use time travel to change the course of history and, in doing so, obliterate the synthetic menace. Through his travels, Sylvain meets various mutants, both good and evil, who will clog Gandahar in the future if the past isn't altered. These mutants include a pile of protoplasm named Metamorphis and a gang of creatures that have excess limbs and facial features, often placed in unusual locations about the body.

**I saw this when I was 20... changed my outlook on everything.

GREASERS PALACE

greaserspalace.jpg

A combination of the Old West and the New Testament; a zoot-suited drifter (Allan Arbus) discovers his true calling and begins to perform miracles. What he really prefers though is doing his boogie-woogie song-and-dance act. In his wanderings he attracts many followers and finally gets to play The Palace, a saloon run by ruthless Seaweed Greaser (Albert Henderson). The act is a success, but Greaser's spoiled daughter, Cholera (Luana Anders), his hitherto star, is furious--"A man with holes in his hands is a bigger hit than me?"--and all according to the Gospel of cult filmmaker Robert Downey.

***For the "What the Fuck" movie of all time, featuring a third floor out-house and midget in the middle of nowhere holding a sign saying "that-a-way".

WHERE THE BUFFALO RAOM

B0006H32EI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Comic star Bill Murray is at his wildest as America's leading "Gonzo" journalist, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, the legendary underground reporter whose passion for writing was second only to his love of weird chemicals, alcohol, violence and insanity. Along with best friend (Peter Boyle), Murray offers a manic look back at the Sixties and Seventies as an eyewitness to everything from a free-for-all San Francisco drug trial to a one-on-one bathroom interview with then Presidential candidate Richard Nixon. This off-the-wall comedy also boasts a musical score by rock superstar Neil Young.

***A must see, if you havent

Originally posted by villain@Aug 7 2005, 06:12 PM

But mostly I watch anime. I'm in the middle of watching Wonderful Days right now. This is the most expensive movie ever produced by South Korea and it is top notch.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0353014/

arrrrgh this movie sucked so bad, IMO. i was pretty hyped when i watched this too. the animation was superb however.

holla at me bout some anime

i'm watching the whole ranma series for nostalgic and entertainment purposes. bittorrent is fuckin awesome. got all the ova's, every season, and both movies. all dvd rips. shit is like 25 gigs.

next is urusei yatsura, i.e. the funniest shit ever. ataru and lum forever nigga!

for real my boy, i got that animated work son, holla!

Guest Swizel

Cecil B. Demented. The mind numbing movie about real video artist.

not no pozer hollywood "film". This is the real stuff.

Not for the skittish.

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Jul 27 2005, 01:39 PM

"Crazy"

-Heddy Honigmann

Dutch Language/ English Subtitles

CRAZY is a film about the reminiscences of several Dutch UN soldiers about various battlefields were they served; memories that are inextricably bound up with one special song that brought solace far from home. Starting with the very first UN mission to Korea (1950), the film takes us on a journey to the Lebanon, Cambodia, Rwanda and former-Yugoslavia - to end up with the Fall of Srebrenica in 1995. Using home videos and photos, moving and also gruesome archive footage, the soldiers tell their moving stories about responsibility, consternation, fear, love, total impotence and death.

CRAZY is a very personal journey through the world of Dutch UN veterans through music.

Excellent movie

Web Site from the Production Group

This film is quite difficult to obtain,

You'll likely have to contact the production group to recieve a direct copy.

But if you have the SUNDANCE CHANNEL, (101 in New York City)

it will air on Monday, August 8th at 4:15 EST

This movie is as real as it gets.

This is coming on TODAY at 4:15 EST...that's in 45 minutes

If you have the chance, you really should take some time out to watch this~