Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

Eh, i honestly don't think so. I wasn't too young for 2001: A Space Odyssey, Contact, or Sphere at age 15-18. Though, i'm talking all of those as the books (2001 the movie was horrible too).

Yeah, but Sphere the book was light reading anyways. Crichton is a breeze and formuliac. "The Quiet Earth" is about the science, the look might be a bit dated since it's from 1985, but the concept is even more valid now than it ever was. It also has an ending the blows away most every sci-fi film ever. You want to read some good techno science fiction, btw, read "Neuromancer", "Snow Crash", or "The Diamond Age".

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think what held the movie back from total greatness was the third act, when the Maori dude shows up. I dunno, it felt kinda forced to throw in a third element to make things funky, I think it would have been better to just focus on the interaction between the first two people and come up with some other type of personal conflict. Not to mention dude looked ridiculous, I cracked up when he first appeared... he was hard to take seriously.

The ending made me forget everything about him though. Seriously ill.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

broken-flowers.jpg

Broken Flowers

Plot Outline: As the devoutly single Don Johnston (Murray) is dumped by his latest girlfriend (Delpy), he receives a anonymous pink letter informing him that he has a son who may be looking for him. The situation causes Don to examine his relationships with women instead of moving on to the next one, and he embarks on a cross-country search for his old flames who might possess clues to the mystery at hand

Sneak's Review: Great movie, love Bill Murray...never really seen him do a bad movie and this is one that did not dissapoint. I would have liked to have seen a better ending to the movie but it was good none the less and the music was even BETTER. So good I downloaded it.

I give it 4 Sneaky points (out of five) Like I said the ending could have been better.

Yeah, but Sphere the book was light reading anyways. Crichton is a breeze and formuliac. "The Quiet Earth" is about the science, the look might be a bit dated since it's from 1985, but the concept is even more valid now than it ever was. It also has an ending the blows away most every sci-fi film ever. You want to read some good techno science fiction, btw, read "Neuromancer", "Snow Crash", or "The Diamond Age".

You're right, Sphere was light reading, though i figured i'd throw it in there since i read it when i was 15. Perhaps i should have watched 'The Quiet Earth' alone and not with a group of friends and being interrupted by a pizza delivery?

broken-flowers.jpg

Broken Flowers

Like I said the ending could have been better.

thats why i hated this movie, there was NO ending. it just stopped. it had some great scenes, esp. those classic "awkwaaaaard" type. bill does great, but hugely disappointing as murray is one of my favorite actors. i tend to not like films "that artsy"

Aren't The Prestige and The Illusionist the same movie? You know, like Aeon Flux and...shit, what was the name of that movie. You know, it was the same movie but dif name, came out close to the same time too. I know someone knows.

Ultraviolet.

The Prestige and the Illusionist are both about magicians, but two very different stories. They both look fucking awesome, but The Prestige sounds like a more brainy movie.

You're right, Sphere was light reading, though i figured i'd throw it in there since i read it when i was 15. Perhaps i should have watched 'The Quiet Earth' alone and not with a group of friends and being interrupted by a pizza delivery?

Yeah, I read it when I was younger than that if you wanna step outside for a minute and settle this.

Seriously, though, "The Quiet Earth" is not what I'd call a group of friends on a pizza night movie. It increases the odds of one person totally hating on it because of the ridiculous 80's clothing which will ruin it for everyone. It's like when I tried to watch "The Hospital" with a girl and my friend who was coked, weeded, and pilled up. He killed it.

I think what held the movie back from total greatness was the third act, when the Maori dude shows up. I dunno, it felt kinda forced to throw in a third element to make things funky, I think it would have been better to just focus on the interaction between the first two people and come up with some other type of personal conflict. Not to mention dude looked ridiculous, I cracked up when he first appeared... he was hard to take seriously.

The ending made me forget everything about him though. Seriously ill.

I felt the same way the first time around a few years ago. But I think that dramatically it works. With just the main guy and woman, it's a paradise situation and bringing in the other guy drastically alters that situation. It shows that the main guy and the girl really haven't changed at all even though the world has, they're still deeply flawed. It breaks them out of their dream world, now she's just another slut, he's a loser. She's the kind of girl who acts like they love someone until someone more attractive comes along and you can read the hurt in his face. Without the third wheel, the characters wouldn't deepen as much and wouldn't be more human. It could have gone the other way, either without the Maori guy or with him but having him just be a wingman, but the film wouldn't have been as distinctive.

I just finished Seven Samurai. I can't believe how long I went without watching it, it's fucking incredible. It's like the prototype for every "team" movie ever made.

Ferms, I see what you're saying, but I still think there could have been something more interesting to bring in as an element of conflict. Bringing in a third person is kind of like the easy way out. I was fascinated by how much it changes life when you're so alone, when that third person shows up and shows that everything is pretty much the same, it kinda ruins the wonder for me. I wanted to see this radical new kind of life play off for these two people, I seriously doubt it'd have been a paradise situation. How do you deal with being at conflict with the last person on Earth besides you? I think that would've been a more interesting (and challenging) story to tell, instead of bringing in a third paper-thin character to basically ground the movie in areas of human relationships we're familiar with. Maybe they were worried about being too speculative, too weird, whereas I just wanted it to get weirder.

^^ LOL yay I win!!!

Maybe they were worried about being too speculative, too weird, whereas I just wanted it to get weirder.

If any movie needs a sequel....haha

I just watched Raging Bull the other day, it was good but it wasn't as good as I was expecting, considering how the film is so well-regarded.

thats why i hated this movie, there was NO ending. it just stopped. it had some great scenes, esp. those classic "awkwaaaaard" type. bill does great, but hugely disappointing as murray is one of my favorite actors. i tend to not like films "that artsy"

i thought the ending was great for the movie...he starts seeing his kid in everybody and lets the viewer fill in his nearing collapse (well thats how i see it playing out). bill murray is one of my favorite actors too and i dig him in these "artsy flicks" because, like roger ebert said, dude is one of the best actors at doing nothing on camera. :lol: