Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Children%20Underground%20Cover.jpg

It's a documentary.

"This film shows the daily routine of a group of homeless Romanian children living in a train station. Anyone who has ever seen or read about the homeless knows how depressing it is, and seeing children in this state of affairs only heightens it. The children here are addicted to Aurolac paint, which they inhale to get high. While the subject matter couldn't be any more depressing, Children Underground is very well made and holds one's attention."

Children%201.jpg

Children%202.jpg

Children%203.jpg

studied LA HAINE for film studies a couple of years ago, its motivated me to buy a camera and make some films.

Its got a good soundtrack, at one point a dj mixes sound of the police with a french classic ballad.

Its in french but its the shiznit.

Basic story line is, a jewish kid, a muslim and a black kid living in the french outskirt projects and its basically a day in their lives after a big riot has gone down. Police tension, racial hatred, spliffs, guns, hip-hop and a bit of graff...but its all done well...

B00064AE0G.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I know some people here hated this film, but I liked it a lot. I knew that it wasn't going to be an action-packed Jaws film like the advertising campaign suggested because I had read about the film before the advertising blitz. It's better watched as a small, realistic indie film about how two people deal with being stranded in the middle of the ocean. And the sharks ARE real.

I just picked up a DVD from a flea market for $5. It's

called EXECUTIONS. Live footage of Drive-by Shootings,

Iraqi Death Squads, Mutilations, Car Bombings....

The deaths aren't that bad to watch, what's horrible

though is the mutilations. I started shaking when they

were sawing off hands and feet with knives.

i found "Bomb the System" for free on demand. It was in the free movies section under Palm independents. I thought it was pretty fresh. Good enough story. Decent cinematography a few good pieces and a fresh soundtrack produced by El P

Kinda like KIDS but with a graffiti twist and no Hiv

^what is it about??

-

"Journey Of Man"

a Documentary by Spencer Wells

k7442.gif

Saturday September 3rd at 8pm

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Sept.4 at 4am

WLIW Channel 21 in New York

This movie changed my perspective on life..

----

Around 60,000 years ago, a man--identical to us in all important respects--lived in Africa. Every person alive today is descended from him. How did this real-life Adam wind up father of us all? What happened to the descendants of other men who lived at the same time? And why, if modern humans share a single prehistoric ancestor, do we come in so many sizes, shapes, and races?

Showing how the secrets about our ancestors are hidden in our genetic code, Spencer Wells reveals how developments in the cutting-edge science of population genetics have made it possible to create a family tree for the whole of humanity. We now know not only where our ancestors lived but who they fought, loved, and influenced.

Informed by this new science, The Journey of Man is replete with astonishing information. Wells tells us that we can trace our origins back to a single Adam and Eve, but that Eve came first by some 80,000 years. We hear how the male Y-chromosome has been used to trace the spread of humanity from Africa into Eurasia, why differing racial types emerged when mountain ranges split population groups, and that the San Bushmen of the Kalahari have some of the oldest genetic markers in the world. We learn, finally with absolute certainty, that Neanderthals are not our ancestors and that the entire genetic diversity of Native Americans can be accounted for by just ten individuals.

It is an enthralling, epic tour through the history and development of early humankind--as well as an accessible look at the analysis of human genetics that is giving us definitive answers to questions we have asked for centuries, questions now more compelling than ever.

----

(review written by Princeton University Press)