The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you all think Nike will remain involved in skateboarding once it loses popularity? I personally don't see Nike as having anything to do with skating, and for that reason I will never own a pair of their shoes. I'm not too crazy about any brands that have various "lifestyle" oriented shoes, like Osiris and Etnies. For some reason Vans seem ok, maybe it's because they've been involved through thick and thin forever. Etnies has been around for a long time, but I feel they lost it somewhere in the mid 90's. They're all I wore from 93-95. i especially liked the white suede with black sole.

Anyways, here's a good video about the history of the Carlsbad Gap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_c_p-0mgQ

eric koston skating jordans back in the day (when i was like 2) was the shit.

Honesetly skateboarding has been exploited to the point that I dont see it losing popularity. Nike makes bank. Via skateboarding. We live in a capitalist society. Besides there shoes are the best to skate in.

If your not feelin that check cons skates or vans.

Not to spark too much of a debate, but a capitalist society relies on the consumer to make the purchase, and one should be conscious of that fact. We can all feel like one drop in a bucket, but I'd much rather drip my money back into skateboarding. I feel that Nike is sucking as much money out of skateboarding as they can. Skateboarding has gone through highs and lows in the 70's. 80's and 90's. It's inevitable that it will again. I started in the early 90's, when skating was definitely not cool, and I think that time period instilled a certain mentality in everyone who skated at the time. Protect your own, and stay away from outsiders. Nike is the epitome of that to me.

Mike Mo is really good, but I'm starting to get a bit sick of him. It seems like every time he lands a trick, it gets filmed and put on the internet.

HAL , my problem with Nike is...where the hell were you in the 1980's & 1990's when skateboarding needed you ? While I like how some of the Nike shoes look , I've never found myself compelled to buy them . Granted people like Lance Mountain , Chet Childress I respect ...but I have no personal attachment to Nike at all like I do with Vans .

Youtube is fun and all , but it seems any kid skating like a tech robot can get a sponsorship these days . If I owned a skateboard company , I wouldn't be cruising youtube looking for the next Chris Cole or Greg Lutzka...I would be looking for the next Sammy Baca , David Gravette or Chris Troy . But that's just me I guess .

PATRIOT_VANDAL1.jpg

i've been rockin fallens since they came out...i find that even though they are about as trendy as it gets, they are a pretty decent shoe. They hold up and they're comfortable. I owned a pair of SB's and i wasn't impressed at all...they are comfortable but i had a giant hole in them after a few weeks of skating...i need durability. Lakai's are another personnal favorite.

right now I'm wearing some nike sb s and frankly they blow. the only reason i got them was cause i was looking at them at the skate shop and i said i like the way these look but i feel like i will tear through them instantly. one of the people working assured me he has been skating them a long time and they hold up well. I figured he actually know what he was talking about. I had a hole within a week and now I have six holes. I am not getting nikes again. I used to wear vans as a kid like nonstop and then dcs for a long time. also, what do you guys think of DVS shoes. I know Deawong song;s new shoes look nice. And I have heard good things about DVS

Yeah, it's pretty sad what people will pay for a pair of kicks. Conspicuous consumerism/

Emericas have always treated me well. I think that's my favorite brand. They hold up nicely, over the five pairs that I've skated.

The one pair of DCs that I got "delaminated" on me. The sole was literally hanging off in the front.

whats up with all this nike shit...Nike should not be a shoe for skateboarding but i see it its a fad now if you dont got nikes your not a skater. Honestly nikes should stick to the court. I mean its not bad i just feel nike is taking it to far going in the skateboarding world.

Nike tried forever to break into skate ... all the way back to Animal Chin, almost every shoe in that video was a Jordan. Didnt work then, they dumped a bunch of money on a second go that also didnt work(But had some great TV spots). Then they let a small group of skaters start SB without the rules Nike would usually run with ... thats when it finally popped off. I dont skate them ... but I cant hate they are doing it as right as they can do it. Sucks the SB's have gotten so popular with the sneaker heads, but at the same time I think they buy more of them than skaters do.

I have been skating in slip ons recently (Suede ones from Supra, not canvas Vans) ... I had to go back to laced shoes and it felt uncomfortable for most of my first session with them. It caught me a bit off guard.