TOPICS & SUBJECTS FOR 12oz BOOKS

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• a whole book on brazil, or more specifically picxaõ (or however it's spelt). i can't get enough of that shit and there needs to be a real effort made of documenting it for the world to see.

uze & que wufc/sdk (stockholm). an interview/lots of flicks of them. tag team of the century.

fmk/174th crew(s) (france) special. all those dudes are ill and deserve way more props than they've received.

handstyles of paris. the kids there are 200 times better than the rest of the world and deserve recognition for it

history of the new york throw up

history of philly hands

chintz lifetime achivement award

that's all i've got right now, but expect wayyyy more ideas outta me

- ny subway being painted on in 2004-2005

definatly a history on philly hands

and history and why euro style is so much different

a lot of good interesting interviews

some hot sketches

some tits too....cant forget them

and id like to see a lot of trains mostly

It's hard to find exactly what can be written about graffiti that hasnt been already. The basis is very limited to a few things really.

having said that, everything thats been mentioned has been done before hasnt it?

The only fresh idea was key's history on the materials and such.

One of the magazines that i regularly get is "graphotism" the way they have their layouts and the people that are interviewed is broad and captivates for one. ( a few months back they had an interview with snatch, who was stated is now a singer in a pop group, that kinda stuff) also interviews with not just writers but artist from all over the world.

Is this a book going the gauntlet of graffitti or strictly based on one part of it? going into the art aspect ? wheat pasting?

...yeah...on the surface it sounds kinda boring...but out of the thousands of kids that paint trains, there are very few that are also dedicated benchers...i just think it would be a more interesting way to cover freights than just one guy talking about all the panels he's done...in the experience that i've had, the kids that are benchers have a completely different perspective on freight painting than the kids that don't...

Okay, so umm...

1) An interview with someone(s) who doesn't get much coverage/exposure. Check.

2) Graffiti History on a certain topic. Whether it be a city, spray can, or a style. (ie. Philly Hands, this could be interesting) Check.

3) A section dedicated to the "abstract" (or whatever you want to call it) would be ill.

4) A section dedicated to dropping knowledge on new jacks. Maybe an overview on how graffiti has changed over the past 30 years. Compare and contrast. Whatever.

5) Pictures that I haven't seen already on the net would be nice.

I'll add more later. By the way Misterraven, is it already too late to submit photos?

no interviews. im sick of reading writers trying to sound intellectual and sophisted but street at the same time. No concept based articles on hip hop or graff culture, that shit is all subjective and it means very little to other people. Nothing 'histories' on how certain aspects of graff evolved, its immeasurably complex and thus piontless to write about and annoying to read people trying to express their piontless opinions.

The mag should be scene based with lots of photos and maybe brief stories, and short articles on whats going on in the particluar scene and the way writers from particular crews and cities get down, with lots of raw flicks. maybe a section or two on the others thing in life like drinking and having fun and music and random cool things like visits to different countries and getting down with vietnamese protitutes

but mainly no stupid articles about things that cant be written about objectively and therefore there is no piont writing about, because no one cares

Originally posted by WhiteOx@Mar 23 2005, 05:07 PM

No concept based articles on hip hop or graff culture, that shit is all subjective and it means very little to other people.

Nothing 'histories' on how certain aspects of graff evolved, its immeasurably complex and thus piontless to write about and annoying to read people trying to express their piontless opinions.

when i was referring to a history on whatever, i meant a history in photos. a timeline of photos tells more of a tale than anybody could put into words.

and i'll second the 'no hip hop' request.

whoever said a book on pichação, that gets my vote.

and i don't see why nobody has put a real nice, fat twins book out yet..

anything different from your regular graffiti that every

kid and mother is doing.

civilian type graffiti too...random bullshit that people

that have zero affiliation with graffiti do..i find that 10

million times more interesting and real than most shit.

Originally posted by porque@Mar 23 2005, 05:01 AM

...yeah...on the surface it sounds kinda boring...but out of the thousands of kids that paint trains, there are very few that are also dedicated benchers...i just think it would be a more interesting way to cover freights than just one guy talking about all the panels he's done...in the experience that i've had, the kids that are benchers have a completely different perspective on freight painting than the kids that don't...

youd have to be an earnest hemmingway to make that shit interesting

abc - yeah i dont know why i didnt assume photo history

Guest sneak
Originally posted by WhiteOx@Mar 23 2005, 07:07 AM

no interviews. im sick of reading writers trying to sound intellectual and sophisted but street at the same time. No concept based articles on hip hop or graff culture, that shit is all subjective and it means very little to other people. Nothing 'histories' on how certain aspects of graff evolved, its immeasurably complex and thus piontless to write about and annoying to read people trying to express their piontless opinions.

The mag should be scene based with lots of photos and maybe brief stories, and short articles on whats going on in the particluar scene and the way writers from particular crews and cities get down, with lots of raw flicks. maybe a section or two on the others thing in life like drinking and having fun and music and random cool things like visits to different countries and getting down with vietnamese protitutes

but mainly no stupid articles about things that cant be written about objectively and therefore there is no piont writing about, because no one cares

i like these ideas. this is what i was kind of leading towards.

Baltimore Graffiti....

I like the idea of a bencher's perspective. Not every bencher sits in one spot and waits for a car to roll by... what do you know about visiting 6-8 spots over an 8 hour peroid? Benching hot yards without permission...

..ah nevermind it would be better to be misunderstood

If you are releasing 2 books a year, and i don't know how street or how professional you are going to do the covers, but maybe on the spine on the outside, when you put the 2 together it could make a picture. But nice and subtle, not all annoying and wildly colorful. I don't know what that's called, but it doesn't have to be a picture of a bomb or piece or whatever.

yeah. like that.

mainImage_1.jpg

I still like the idea of dabbling into different aspects that surround graffiti without coming out and saying 'this is for people that do graffiti!!'. I.E.: Replace "Fix It" with "Surveillance" (dress, how to behave, repelling, gathering info, 5-point entry methods), "Color/Line Theory" (duh), "Urban Survival" (dumpster diving, free places to stay, evasion, etc), or "Train Hopping" (safety, history, methods).

Are you guys going for something unique that almost has a function or another bunch of pictures and stories of another egotist's life that I (and I think most other writers) could give two shits about? Sure, they're entertaining and it's good to pay respects but I think interview/stories belong in magazines due to shelf life. How many tmies can you read the same interview/story and how much can you really learn from it?

If lesser-known kings of the past were a topic people are interested in I'd dedicate an entire book, instead of a section, to that.

Remember all those really grandeous thread ideas everyone had for Ch.0 about a year or two ago? Well, here's the chance to do it right. Once again, that's probably "too much work" ...so go with more pictures of graffiti I could probably find somewhere on the internet.

..back to work I go.

since so few people have actually been able to score copies of 12oz, or are too young to remember them, we'd been discussing maybe republshing some of the better parts of past issues along with all the accompanying photos that we never had room to print.

ultimately, whatever we do will probably be a reflection of where are heads are at. i'm not really trying to do straight graffiti interviews or a typical graff book cause that's not really what i'm about or what i'm into. same with when we were actually releasing 12ozprophet magazine, we've always had one foot in the door, and the other someplace else. since our heritage is in graffiti, i'm sure the underlying themes will probably be graffiti or street oriented, but we're also into a lot of other stuff that has a big influence on where we go with it.