anyone else disenfranchised?

Giving Tree

Fatalist, word to the Buddhist references.

I dont have the attention level to read everyone's posts, so excuse me if I repeat some things.

If Im not mistaken, Giving Tree, youre getting your degree in fine arts? Yes, the many shit heads of the art scene.

I go to art school, and YES there are an insane amount of fake, ridiculous people and you will still have to deal with these kids when you enter your career of choice, sadly. But, thankfully there are a large amount of kids who are awesome, who are nothing like Williamsburg Brooklyn and the Crew artfags.

Im not quite sure exactly what is bothering you, but you seem to be down and out about your reason for being here. Im getting this vibe that you are comparing yourself to other people too much. You will never, ever be happy if you continue to compare yourself to more "successful" people. More successful? What is that? Is it money, success in a career, a good family life? I mean, Giving Tree, do you REALLY know whats going on in that so-called successful person's life? No, you just see what those people ALLOW you to see. Those motherfuckers probably are saying the same damn thing you just posted to a friend or even posting it on another message board.

Fuck others, think about yourself. Read Aristotle's philodophy on eudaumonia. Happiness should not be a static state, but a continueing movement of happiness. Catch me? Saving your money to buy a BMW/more reliable car, good. Saving your money to purchase a BMW cause itll make you happy, bad.

Dude, I get down and out. Art is a bitch, Im a graphic design/illustrator. I look at others and go, why the fuck am I even trying? But you know what? Fuck em. If Im being true to myself, if I enjoy creating and if I do have talent (whether or not I believe it), then fuck em.

I re-read your post. You feel unfulfilled, which is probably do to the fact that youre not facing a problem of your's directly. You appear to be subconsciously distracting yourself from real life problems with your physical appearence. Look around yourself. Do you really give a fuck about your Gaultier sweater? What has it done for you? dumb question, but honestly. Is that Gaultier sweater really "you" Giving Tree? These are all really important things to ask yourself. Having style is one thing, working a full time job to afford $100 or more tshirt is another.

Anyway, Im ranting on, ill post later.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand angst.

you can lok up my "saturn's return" thread about feeling this way at 28 if you want.

but, you have to give thanks sometimes.

there are some sick, starving, poor, paralyzed motherfuckers out there.

can't find something meaningful in life?

stop being so selfish and volunteer.

work in a hospital for awhile, that will make you feel more accomplished judt by being able bodied.

sometimes you have to look around you and be glad that you were lucky enough to be born in a first world country, where your every whim and desire can be catered to, where every option is attainable, where you are the master of your own destiny.

seriously.

i'm not trying to patronize you, but you are losing sight of the big picture.

over 50,000 people died over the weekend.

find some meaning in the fact that you wre in no danger of being devastatred by that tragedy.

and btw, i've been at work now for over 13 hours doing research on a barely known protein called MGC1203 so that i can help my lab get a research paper out that might actually contribute to helping people. i'm not complaining.

My problem is i feel like i'm living too much and having too good a time. A while ago i decided to stop worrying too much about being responsible for a couple more years and just living for me. Not caring about settling down and doing the career and the picket fence until i've covered everything on that list of things to do before i get old. But that list is long and just getting longer. Now i worry that by the time i finish that list, i'll have missed the boat on a career and a lasting relationship with a woman and end up a washed old alcoholic with a bad bladder.

People told me your 20's were about living large, but everyone just seems to be worrying about being a loser or not being enough of a loser!

i felt kinda the way you guys were feeling, i still do at time, i do the same, wake up, go to work, come back home, sleep, and so forth, on my days off however i try to fill that up with as much fun stuff as i can. I havent found a nice girl in a very long ass time and it's bothering me at times, when i think i have it just turns out to be a big bummer. I do art almost every day, even though this past month it's been very hard to motivate myself, eh, i think at some point you just need to get in your car, drive out to the country somewhere and just gather your thoughts, adn come back home and do it.

Originally posted by symbols@Dec 29 2004, 01:39 AM

stuff

I'm frustrated by the number of people mis-reading or mis-understanding what I am saying.

I don't care about money, I don't care about clothes, I really don't care about a bmw. I am cognitively aware of this, and yet somehow I got caught up in the "system" and found myself working for these items. I KNOW in my heart a car isn't going to make me happy. I know in my heart money or power or wealth or anything like that isn't going to make me happy. I openly admit I have NO IDEA what will make me happy, but I DO know that this situation, the one that life has been preparing me for 12 years of my life, is DEFINITELY not doing it. I HATE this office. I HATE this city. I HATE feeling like this and I DON'T know how to change it. it's not as easy as it sounds.

I've done charity work. I said that before, so I don't know where this statement comes from. honestly when I did work with ramapo for children it was the best summer I have ever had in my life. I had some seriously hard times there, dealt with things no one should EVER deal with, I mean EVER.. but I know I did so much for some of those kids, and I hope they know they changed me too. but it's just not a realistic option for me to stay there forever. it's a summer camp. year round is an option, but I can't do it due to debt, and my desire to finish college.

I've tried hard to figure out what it is I need to do to make my situation better. I should move, I plan on it. but will moving change my life? maybe yes, or maybe I'll leave here to realize this is where I'm supposed to be and just come back. either way, I need to find out. do I belong in this cubicle? I certainly think not. but maybe I'll go and come back to this job and be happy later in life. all I DO know is that at this point I feel very discontent, and there is no way that I can figure it out all at once.

life has become overwhelming for me. it just seems SO big, such a daunting chore with debt, bills, jobs, cars, girls, school, art, dreams, and finding yourself so very small in your room to try to take on the world. I don't think I can't get out of where I am, I just feel like I lost track of myself somewhere, I lost my dream and let my wishes slip from my hand, and now that I see that I want to grab them again and run. most people would be happy here with a nice job, a nice place to live, benefits, a car, etc.. but not me. my heart wants more for myself. otherwise I'd have no reason to complain.

this isn't about me not making enough, or having enough, or even giving enough, it's about me feeling like I am not where I belong, or where I don't want to be.

this is honestly a really hard topic for me because it leaves me fairly depressed. that's why I want to do something about it. that's why I wrote this, and that's why I'm trying so very hard to find what I want.

True happiness comes from within grasshoppa.

If you feel like you are becoming a consumerist robot, try to interject the mundane tasks of your life with bits of randomness ....

I think we get so caught up with goals and dreams and aspirations and the regimen of the daily grind that we often forget to stop and smell the roses. Live in the moment.

That's why I like gatita's quote so much.... Happiness is not a static state. A far off place to be strived for. It is a state of mind in constant motion. Think about it, when we were kids we could be happy with some leaves and sticks and rocks. Maybe we are just taking things for granted? Maybe we should appreciate things with the awe and wonder that we once had. For who is to say that life is not magnificent, despite all of it's flaws? Truly it is magnificent. Mindbogglingly so.

A new friend of mine who has been all over the world and is now a professor taught me a good point about life:

it is NEVER too late to change it.

Get the fuck out of your state, granted first you have to save money, etc. to do the move, but do it. Fuck a car, move somewhere with reliable public transportation (shit, Ive been born and raised in NY and still dont have my license, my metrocard is my bmw.)

You dont know what will make you happy? Well staying in one place and not changing your habits or surroundings wont suddenly one day make you happy. Change, change, motherfunkin change.

Originally posted by Giving Tree+Dec 29 2004, 09:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giving Tree - Dec 29 2004, 09:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-symbols@Dec 29 2004, 01:39 AM

stuff

this isn't about me not making enough, or having enough, or even giving enough, it's about me feeling like I am not where I belong, or where I don't want to be.

this is honestly a really hard topic for me because it leaves me fairly depressed. that's why I want to do something about it. that's why I wrote this, and that's why I'm trying so very hard to find what I want.

[/b]

look, just the fact that you can sit back and ponder "what can i do to make myself most fulfilled/happy/content etc?" makes you incredibly fucking lucky.

if you've seen how bad things can get maybe you should look around and be grateful.

life is no fucking bowl of cherries, if you lost your legs tomorrow you'd know real quick how to get happy again. .and that might be impossible.

i know that at the pits of some of my worst depressions, i have been acting like a selfish bastard.

anyway, feel better.

..+ thanks villain...

having legs is no guarantee of happiness, just as not having them is no condemnation.

happiness is all about making the best with what you have. the first step towards that is to take a step back, survey what your life, project as to what you need, then you barter your way till you get there. don't get too down bro, as marry poppins said 'well begun is half done'. you're already to the depressed introspective stage, things should start getting easier from here forward.

as raven told me last night 'the first million is the hardest, after that it just sort of rolls in'.

I liked 26sided's response the best. But fuck him if he thinks I'm 'jockin' him.

I find a cure to these blahs is to read. See, a lot of people I know who lack that identity, who wear the trendy gear and focus on just making money - they aren't very intellectual. I don't know if it's going to come back and haunt them one day that they are one dimensional, but it might.

giving tree sounds like he's doing alright in this respect. You do your charity work, you have a goal set out to buy a 318, and you are an artist. That should be good. Sure, you don't get to travel the world, but man, that shit is expensive, and not everyone is constantly doing it.

My only qualm with this shit is the 318. Nothing says "I'm a yuppie who made a bit of cash, and now I'm entering hardcore yuppiehood with this bottom of the line Bimmer." Seriously, find a new car to buy.

You'll hopefully be making a lot more money when you're done college, and life will be much better. You're 23...that's still young, man. Sure, LeBron was making 90 million a year when he was just eighteen, but that's just him. Do things at your own pace. You just haven't peaked yet, I bet.

i work at a huge corporation. im talking enormous. we got like 3,000 people on one floor, and we have like 3-4 floors per building, and about 12 buildings in a one mile radius.

on one floor their is like a billion cubicles, im talking as far as the eye can see there are cubes.

not only does that make me small as a fucking ant, but it makes me feel super overwhelmed.

i dont know how the owner of the business could ever manage such a huge project. (i know he doesnt do it alone, but still, its such a huge operation, its mind boggling how it all came about).

that shit depresses me because i feel like i couldnt ever get to that level, or atleast i dont have a clue how i'd handle it right now.

i think i have a lot of insights and ideas of how to make money not only fast but in a pretty easy way, well, not really, but i see the ideas/goals/etc of the games you need to play to make money, ill put it like that. i just got to get my shit together and capitalize on them.

and that's really what life's all about.

everything is a game, and once you learn the rules of the game, and how to manipulate different aspects of the game in order to win, you'll be on top of the world.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 29 2004, 12:40 PM

having legs is no guarantee of happiness, just as not having them is no condemnation.

my braoder point being that people don't appreciate what they've got until it's gone.

it's a weird perspective one gets from spending a lot of time around very sick and disabled people.

all they want is to be pain free, or able to walk , etc.

all the other shit can go to hell.

i'm gonna shut up on this one now.

have a nice day.

Dont trip man... When I was 19 I was accused of Armed Robbery and Kidnapping which never even happened, I was thrown into jail w.o bail for 90 days while i was waiting for a probable cause, where I wasnt even charged, I was being held on suspicion, and now, nearly 2 years later the DA wants me to go back to Atlanta to be interrogated since they also forgot to question me regarding this matter.

I am 20 and I work for the government in a Rural economic faciltity and I am benefitting the mankind of appalachia. I am feeling like i have already accomplished everything I set out to do when I graduated, and Now i have to come up with new plans.

I think you should work on fucking all the women in your office.

I wear black slacks, nice belt, nice button down, and tie. I look sexy as hell. I make women wet when I walk into the room. That's why I make twice as much as you an hour. They pay me to keep the female employees happy.

Hollatchaboy One! LOL true story.

symbols,

my point was simply that everyones problems are their problems. the guy with no legs just wants to walk, but the guy with no legs and no arms with an itch on his nose just wants it's scratched. the guy with no arms, legs, half a face and colon cancer...that dude just wants to die.

you can't really view things in a comparative light, because there's always someone worse off, no matter how bad you are.

besides, as dude has tried to clear up half a dozen times, he's not complaining about what he has (or doesnt have), he's just trying to figure out how to be happy, which is what we're all doing.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 29 2004, 02:10 PM

besides, as dude has tried to clear up half a dozen times, he's not complaining about what he has (or doesnt have), he's just trying to figure out how to be happy, which is what we're all doing.

Here's how. get laid. as much as possible. Maybe he should get married... he seems like that type. White picket fence, three kids, a volvo!

5 times a day?

:haha:

damn, tease...is that hair on your palms?

MichikoHairyPalms2.GIF

best advide I can give is to get back to your roots. find that one thing that really makes you happy and set yourself to doing it. depression is a horrible, suffocating thing. I've found speed (as in actual physical speed ie cars or motorcycles) is the best cure for me. Gotta love the adrenaline. If only I could bottle it.

yeah, like steveaustin said.

Strip away all of the bullshit and find simple pleasures.

Wether it's riding a bike, or skiing, or sailing or anything

that you do to unwind. Now find someone who also does

that too, and stay with them. So many people are bored

crazy because they married someone they dont have things

in common with asides from highschool memories and kids.

Dont end up that way.

Too many people give up their passions for their partner.

If your partner adds to your passion, then you've got the formula right.

ps. I'd rather be sailing

let the man have his angst. Chances are if you are 20ish and living in the united states and completely content with life you are either mentally retarded or a fucking asshole.

I hate when people act like youre not allowed to feel like shit because life isnt what you expected. sometimes you must feel that way in order to make things get better.

Archived