Super Hero Hype

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Spiderman I read is Ultimate Spiderman, it's by far superior to just about every Marvel title out there. Astonishing X-Men is a great book, too, I wish they would put it out more often. You should pick up the back issues, WeapX, the way they re-introduce Collossus is awesome.

Check out Powers, too, pick up the first trade paperpack or the first issue of the re-launch.

I haven't read any of the other Ultimate books, it's a basically a re-telling of the Spiderman story except it keeps him a Sophmore in high school the whole time. Pick up this week's issue if you want since it starts a new story arc with Hobgoblin. Brian Michael Bendis, the guy who writes it, is pretty awesome, too, he writes about 10 other books including Powers. Powers and Spiderman are the only ones I read by him, though. He's the current comic heavyweight.

Also, Warren Ellis just put out a series of 4 one-shots that are his experiment with "creating what comic books would be like if there had never been superheroes". They are pretty awesome.

I dunno, though, listen to me and you will go broke. Comic books are what I spend almost all my money on, I need a 12-step program.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Feb 3 2005, 09:56 PM

you're an ogre in every sense of the word. stop picking on me.

can someone briefly explain this spiderman being a clone nonsense? guardian devil touches on it, and my friend was too stoned to explain it so i could understand.

From spiderfan.org

What Happened?

Spidey runs into Ben (his clone) at the hospital where Aunt May is staying {WEB#117}. He's quite shocked as he (and the readers) believed his clone had died five years ago Marvel Time. Pete, having had a tough time of late, starts fighting {ibid.}. Ben knocks Pete out and makes a hasty retreat {ibid.}. Before he has much time to mull this over, Spidey heads to Ravencroft, an asylum that houses many of his foes, where Judas Traveller and Scrier have taken over {ibid.}. They capture Spidey {ASM#394} but Ben comes to his rescue {SM#51}, seemingly dying at the end {SPEC#217}. Pete goes on to fight Puma (ASM#395,SPEC#218}, get poisoned by the Owl {ASM#396,SPEC#219}, team up with DD {ibid.}, and finds out MJ is pregnant {SPEC#220}. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Pete, Ben, having survived, makes himself a new costume {WEB#118}, gets dubbed the "Scarlet Spider" by the press {ibid.}, then tackles and beats Venom {SM#52,WEB#119,SM#53}. Ben's presence causes a new character called Kaine to show up who inexplicably has a great hatred for Ben and a desire to protect Peter {WEB#119}. Doc Ock saves Pete from the aforementioned poison , but gets killed by Kaine {ASM#397,SPEC#220,ASM#398,SPEC#221}. Kraven's son the Grim Hunter tackles Ben but gets killed by Kaine {WEB#120,SM#54,WEB#121,SM#55}. Soon, both Pete and Ben experience a kind of "calling" that leads them both to what turns out to be the Jackal's hideout {WEB#122}. He's been "incubating" himself all these years, and begins to taunt Pete and Ben with the possibility of both of them being clones {ASM#399}. He even shows them a new Gwen Stacy clone that melts fairly quickly {SM#56}. Meanwhile, a third Peter Parker has been awakened in the Jackal's lair. This one can't remember much and starts wandering {SPEC#222}. After a battle, Pete and Ben subdue the Jackal and haul him to prison {WEB#123}. Pete gets called to the hospital where Aunt May has revived {ASM#400}. After taking her home, Aunt May reveals to Pete that she has known for years that he was Spider-Man (she prob. found out in ASM # 200), and that she's proud of him {ibid.}. Soon she passes on {ibid.}. Ben, having no more reason to stick around, tells Pete he's leaving forever {ibid.}. Before Ben can skip town, however, Pete is arrested in connection with a murder years ago in Utah. He's sent to jail while awaiting trial {SM#57}. Ben, feeling responsible, goes to the jail and takes Pete's place, giving Pete his Scarlet Spider outfit {SPEC#224}. Pete then sets out to prove his innocence. It turns out that Kaine, who is yet another clone of Pete's {SM#60} (the first Parker-clone Warren ever made), is responsible for the Utah killing {LOST YEARS#1-4}. Rather than see Pete go to jail, Kaine admits to the murder and is taken to prison {SPEC#226}. Pete's name is cleared. Ben and Pete now have time to devote to finding out who the original is {ibid.}. With the help of Ben's friend Seward, tests reveal that Ben is the original {ibid.}. Pete goes batty, hits MJ (accidentally) runs off {ibid.} and joins the escaped-from-jail Jackal with the previously mentioned third Peter-clone who has taken on the identity of Spidercide {MAXIMUM CLONAGE ALPHA}. Ben arrives and fight off a bajillion Spidey-clones {SM#61} to get Pete to come to his senses {MAXIMUM CLONAGE OMEGA}. The Jackal, Spidercide, and newly escaped Kaine all die in one fashion or another {ibid.}. Then Pete almost murders MJ due to a post-death command the Jackal had given him {SPEC#228}. He fights and beats the impulse {WEB#129}. Pete decides that with MJ pregnant, it's time for him to retire, so he and MJ move to the west coast {SPEC#229}. Ben remains the Scarlet Spider for a while {SCARLET SPIDER BOOKS}, but soon his reputation is ruined by an impostor, so he takes back the Spidey identity {SEN#0}. Meanwhile, Pete looses his powers in a lab accident {FINAL ADVENTURE#1-4}. Ben goes on to fight a bunch of villains as the new Spider-Man {SEN#1-3,ASM#407-410,SM#64-67,SPEC#230-233}, and soon Pete and MJ move back to New York. Ben's friend Seward is kidnapped by a mysterious person, and doubt is again raised as to who the clone is {ASM#412}. Pete seemingly dies from some ailment {SPEC#237}, but it turns out that it's just his Spider-powers slowly returning. Seward finds out who the big mastermind is and escapes, off to tell Ben and Pete about the rigged test results {SPEC#240}. Before he can find them, he's killed by Gaunt, an agent for the mastermind {ibid.}. A new waitress at the Daily Grind named Alison puts some drug in MJ's food, causing her to go into premature labor (though she was at least 10 months pregnant marvel time) {SEN#11}. MJ is rushed to the hospital where the attending doctor (another agent of the mastermind) tells MJ that the baby was stillborn {ASM#418}. However, Alison wheels something from the delivery room and takes the "contents" to the mastermind - Norman Osborn (who was dead, but got better) {ibid.}. When Pete gets to the hospital, the doctor drugs him and takes him to Norman {SM#75}. Norman tells Pete that he's the original, not a clone {ibid.}. In a big battle, Norman seemingly dies again, and Ben dies, disintegrating afterwards {ibid.}. Pete finally gets to MJ and they mourn over the baby and Ben for a couple of panels {ibid.}.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

btw, Vanity, did you know that they're making a 'V for Vendetta' movie? Natalie Portman has already been cast.

Also, the Watchmen movie official site is up, though there ain't much on it. I still don't see how they're going to pull that one off, though.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Holy shit, I had that Molly Hatchet tape when I was little. I loved that cover to death, as well as all the Judas Priest mecha-animal covers.

I like how the comic cover says "Apologies to Frazetta".

that molly hatchet cover looks just like 'death dealer'

also by frazetta ..good 3 part comic/graphic novel combo

written by danzig..who was alright, the drawings are dope.

i have slept hard on comics in the past couple years.

i'm still loyal to sin city.

i don't read spawn anymore. i do still have the first 100 or so issues.

http://www.gossipingbitches.com/news/archives/000067.shtml

It may be too early to call it, but the Gossiping Bitches just caught word that Stan Lee & Marvel are suing MF Doom for copyright infringement. We've even heard Stones Throw had to pull the cover artwork to the Madvillain project cause Doom was cold-chilling with the mask on the album.

If this news proves to be incorrect, feel free to sue us instead. Rather, file this news story under "inevitable" and we'll point our fingers one day and say, "told you so."

-----------

UPDATE (02.02.04):

Gossiping Bitches has learned that Doom is not being served a lawsuit, but a cease & desist order from Stan Lee/Marvel Enterprises. What this means is Doom will not be able to reprint the original Doomsday artwork, or the Special Herbs albums which feature Lee's original Dr Doom character art.

However, because the Madvillain artwork is original, Stones Throw is in the clear in regards to releasing it.

- By a Gossiping Bitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thomas Haden Church (Sideways), who will be playing the central, as-yet-unspecified, villain in Spider-Man 3 may very well be The Sandman. Also in Spidey 3 Chloe Sevigny may be playing the role of The Black Cat. As of right now, the cast in the new movie is Tobey Maguire, Thomas Haden Church, and Kirsten Dunst. other cast has not been announced yet, but it's likely that many of the supporting characters from the first two movies will return.

Archived