.the Republican National Convention thread.

Poop Man Bob

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BADASS!

"OOH BY THE WAY WATCH BUSH WIN ANYWAY.. AND THEN YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AND COME TO MY STATE AND WE'LL GO TO A GAY BAR AND I WILL FUCKIN RAPE YOUR ASS!!"

SO FUNNY!

checkit...if you're francophone, you can say "Fermer la Bush!". it's a clever play on words that I just came up with.

so not funny, actually.

Word is that Ben Barnes kept his role in getting people into the texas Air National Guard quite hush-hush until the swift boat veterans came out, now he's going on 60 minutes to lay the smackdown. Get ready for an interesting post-convention ANG media blitz.

OK, now to education.

The Bush Education plan (popularly known by its catchphrase "No Child Left Behind") establishes a few guidelines for public schools. The main, overarching idea was to hold schools responsible for effectively teaching their students. From the Department of Education website:

Under the act's accountability provisions, states must describe how they will close the achievement gap and make sure all students, including those who are disadvantaged, achieve academic proficiency. They must produce annual state and school district report cards that inform parents and communities about state and school progress. Schools that do not make progress must provide supplemental services, such as free tutoring or after-school assistance; take corrective actions; and, if still not making adequate yearly progress after five years, make dramatic changes to the way the school is run.

This means that elementary and middle school students get to take another series of standardized tests each year. These tests disrupt the classroom in numerous ways: they take several days to complete, weeks to prepare for, and force teachers to spend more time "teaching to the test" instead of on their own curriculums. There is no national standard, allowing each state to set its own definition of where each student should be (38 states reported above-average results one year).

There is also no additional funding provided to support this mandate, leaving districts to fend for themselves.

Students in schools that fail 2 years in a row have the option of transferring to another school within their district, including charter schools. Thing is, if one school in a district sucks; the rest of them probably will too. Also, charter schools have hardly lived up to their hype (the nytimes article quoted is subscription only):

The first national comparison of test scores among children in charter schools and regular public schools shows charter school students often doing worse than comparable students in regular public ... The findings, buried in mountains of data the Education Department released without public announcement, dealt a blow to supporters of...

Moreover, the whole "school choice" movement is basically a front for people who want to send government money to religious schools.

The NCLB act also forces high schools to distribute their students' names, addresses, phone numbers, and birthdays to military recruiters or face the loss of all their federal funding.

The best predictor of how well a child will do in school is how much education their parents recieved. The way to bettering education in America is to make it less costly to go to college.

Because of the bush tax cuts, many state governments have budget deficits. Because the states, unlike the federal government, cannot have a running deficit, tuition costs at our public universities have skyrocketed. This has put a college education out of reach for thousands of intelligent, driven young Americans.

John Kerry has a plan to help more people go to college. George Bush has no such plan.

Compassionate conservatism is bullshit. They're still fucking us in the ass, they're just using KY jelly and calling it something different. Pay attention to it and it's as fake as W's down-home texas image.

let me just say that i am actually jealous of all of you who are able to watch this live and see our wonderful president in all his glory... seeing as i am currently living in another country with a 14 hour time difference i only get to watch clips of what happens, so i do appreciate the links that have the live feed... although it does make me feel slightly masochistic

Originally posted by Nekro

Check CNN, they have a live feed 24/7.

you mean cnn.com? the only problem is, when bush is live, say 8pm in new york, it's 9am the next day where i am, and i'm undoubtedly at work... thanks for the tip though :)

i thought this was pretty funny... from comedy central's indecision 2004

Election Decoder

Let's Grand Ol' Par-tay! Edition

The Indecision Election Decoder's lights are flashing, which means it's ready to take the latest political moments, process them and tell you how it really is.

This week, the Decoder flipped on its Turbo-Bullsh*t Detection® system as the Republican Party took to the airwaves to prove to the American public (9/11) why they (9/11) should be put in the White House (9/11) for four more years (9/11).

Fact: In an effort to seem a bit more moderate and middle-of-the-road, the Republicans roll out the most likable, popular personalities in their party.

Decoder Sez:Remember that movie "Can't Buy Me Love," where dorky Patrick Dempsey pays the pretty, popular cheerleader to act like his girlfriend and make him seem more cool? It's kind of like that. The Republicans are hiding their Jerry Falwells and bringing out their Giulianis and their McCains. And don't forget star quarterback Arnold Schwarzenegger -- he's SURE to get the Republicans elected Prom Queen in November, right?

Fact: Protestors take to the streets of New York; hundreds of arrests are made daily.

Decoder Sez:If only people put as much effort into other costumes, maybe the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade wouldn't be so boring. Little known fact: That fake money that those "Halli-bacon" protestors with Cheney masks printed? It's legal tender in at least three states.

Fact: After four years of avoiding the spotlight, the Bush Twins emerge on stage at the Convention, ready for their close-up.

Decoder Sez:Sure the Bush Girls' speech was a bit esoteric. Who else but a true pop-culture junkie would get those obscure references to Sex and the City and OutKast? If the Twins aren't careful, they might sink further into the seedy artistic underground -- next thing you know, they'll be showing off their matching crotch tattoos at Burning Man...

I just went to the bikesagainstbush.com website, eager to put in some anti-Bush messages, only to find out that the fucker got arrested, along with the rest of his entourage. Apparently he got arrested while interviewing Ron Reagan and blabbing and advertising his whole graffiti campaign to the world. Likewise, the NYPD confiscated the bikes and threw them in jail.

Way to go idiot!

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040831/i/r3829590006.jpg'>

From Yahoo News:

Interested in contacting Ms. Peale?

ppeale@nortexinfo.net

I told her, in part: "And you got the purple heart "swimming in a river?" Let's be serious - we both know you can't swim with that turkey-neck thing you've got going on. Use the bandaid to hold that up instead."

for some reason this got me angry enough to actually write an email..

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rid...r3829590006.jpg

You disgusting pig. You think all you're doing is supporting a political opinion, when in fact you're trivializing the actions of ALL THE PEOPLE WHO FOUGHT AND DIED FOR OUR COUNTRY. How dare you condescend to support those who are fighting in this war, when you have NO RESPECT for those who fought in wars previous. You absolutely disgust me, as well as the majority of AMERICANS, REGARDLESS OF PARTY LINES.

HOW DARE YOU TRIVIALIZE THE ACTIONS OF THOUSANDS TO SUPPORT YOUR OWN POLITICAL BELIEFS. For this action you are a despicable human being, hoping to gain off the deaths of hundreds of thousands, just to prove a point that is inherently flawed. All the while American troops are dying, as you support their deaths by supporting a policy that uses AMERICAN CITIZENS as PAWNS in an act of geopolitical hegemony while hiding under the guise of FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY.

HOW DARE YOU.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO MARGINALIZE THE DEATHS OF THOUSANDS?

While you wear this false "purple heart," there are STILL American soldiers dying in this CURRENT conflict, and many are CURRENTLY receiving purple hearts.

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU WILL APOLIGIZE TO THE (AMERICAN) PEOPLE FOR SUCH A BRAZEN ACT OF DISRESPECT TO THOSE FROM WHOM YOU ASK PROCTECTION.

You don't deserve the liberties for which our soldiers have fought and died.

i know, it sounds uber-patriotic, and i'm definitely not that, i just wish these people would realize what they're doing has larger implications than can be seen by looking into their own pocket books.

Originally posted by random

for some reason this got me angry enough to actually write an email..

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rid...r3829590006.jpg

You disgusting pig. You think all you're doing is supporting a political opinion, when in fact you're trivializing the actions of ALL THE PEOPLE WHO FOUGHT AND DIED FOR OUR COUNTRY. How dare you condescend to support those who are fighting in this war, when you have NO RESPECT for those who fought in wars previous. You absolutely disgust me, as well as the majority of AMERICANS, REGARDLESS OF PARTY LINES.

HOW DARE YOU TRIVIALIZE THE ACTIONS OF THOUSANDS TO SUPPORT YOUR OWN POLITICAL BELIEFS. For this action you are a despicable human being, hoping to gain off the deaths of hundreds of thousands, just to prove a point that is inherently flawed. All the while American troops are dying, as you support their deaths by supporting a policy that uses AMERICAN CITIZENS as PAWNS in an act of geopolitical hegemony while hiding under the guise of FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY.

HOW DARE YOU.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO MARGINALIZE THE DEATHS OF THOUSANDS?

While you wear this false "purple heart," there are STILL American soldiers dying in this CURRENT conflict, and many are CURRENTLY receiving purple hearts.

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU WILL APOLIGIZE TO THE (AMERICAN) PEOPLE FOR SUCH A BRAZEN ACT OF DISRESPECT TO THOSE FROM WHOM YOU ASK PROCTECTION.

You don't deserve the liberties for which our soldiers have fought and died.

i know, it sounds uber-patriotic, and i'm definitely not that, i just wish these people would realize what they're doing has larger implications than can be seen by looking into their own pocket books.

Damn. I didn't even know what this was about. I just saw a picture of some ugly hag with yellow teeth that was a Bush supporter. Yeah, repulsive enough. But when I read your e-mail, as a person that served in the US Navy in both Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, it for some reason got me a little angry to want to punch that woman in her jaw. And that's a lot since I generally don't approve of men hitting women.

Great e-mail man.

Kerry's Response to the RNC

Kerry takes the gloves off

John Kerry has had enough of the litany of half truths and personal attacks against him that have filled the GOP convention hall all week in New York. The Kerry campaign has just released the following prepared remarks, to be delivered tonight at a campaign rally in Springfield, Ohio.

"We all saw the anger and distortion of the Republican Convention. For the past week, they attacked my patriotism and my fitness to serve as Commander-in-chief. Well, here's my answer. I'm not going to have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have and by those who have misled the nation into Iraq.

"The Vice President even called me unfit for office last night. I guess I'll leave it up to the voters whether five deferments makes someone more qualified to defend this nation than two tours of duty.

"Let me tell you what I think makes someone unfit for duty. Misleading our nation into war in Iraq makes you unfit to lead this nation. Doing nothing while this nation loses millions of jobs makes you unfit to lead this nation. Letting 45 million Americans go without healthcare makes you unfit to lead this nation. Letting the Saudi Royal Family control our energy costs makes you unfit to lead this nation. Handing out billions of government contracts to Halliburton while you're still on their payroll makes you unfit. That's the record of George Bush and Dick Cheney. And it's not going to change. I believe it's time to move America in a new direction; I believe it's time to set a new course for America."

Archived