bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Yeah, numbness is an issue that is a tough one to figure out. It could come from a bunch of things... including seat height or fore/aft position and not changing up the way you're riding from time to time. Meaning, standing up often to stretch - changing the position of your hands from hoods to top bar to drops. I won't even go into diet/nutrition.

As for cramps... I used to get cramps all the freakin' time. All the time. And as luck would have it, I would usually get them with about five minutes left in a race or with about half an hour left in a training ride. I tried using "e-caps" from Hammer Nutrition but found them to be a bit of a pain to use, though they did work. I tried to do it the natural way with vitamins but that didn't work very well for me. Lately I've been using Nuun tabs and they have worked beautifully. Haven't cramped up once since I started using them.

496826a5-fb01-44f9-86a3-743bb82bb158.jpg

They come in a bunch of different flavors and two sizes of tabs. For 24oz bottles I use the large tabs and put one tab in each bottle. The smaller 16oz bottles I use half a large tab in each bottle. Great product.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Raise your bars and stem and level/lower your seat till the two planes (seat and flats of your bars) are approximately equal. Any bike shop will know what to do if you tell them this is what you want. I have carpal tunnel and a bad back and neck and this really works. In fact, I swear by it.

All those doofuses who ride with their seats way too high and their bars super low are just asking for severe problems down the road. The idea for everyday riding is to be comfortable, not to look cool/aero.

As far as seats, nothing beats a Brooks. They're not cheap and they take a while to break in but they'll last you 10+ years if you take care of them.

i have one of those seats with the cutout in the middle and i think thats part of the problem. i can feel my weight forcing me to put all my weight on that one section with the cutout and then it chafes hella bad because i sink down in the seat there but the parts of the seat in the back and front of my crotch dont sink down and they rub. the owner of the bike i used rides in triathalons so it had aero bars on it so the only hand posistions i could ride are the drops hoods and a aerotuck, which i did the aero tuck quite a bit but they get very wet with sweat and he had brifters so i could only stay in them for so long. i think if i had wore gloves that would have helped with the numbness in my hands a bit. and now that i think about it i only stood up 3 or 4 times the entire ride and that was to sprint or to go up a hill, i probably should have done that some more...

i hesitate to do any adjustments to the bike because i dont know how long i will have it for, id hate to spend 50 dollars getting it fitted just to ride ten miles on it and then have to give it back and make him pay another 50 to get it fitted to him

il have to check if my lbs has that nuun stuff, thanks for all the help guys

no homo haha

Acer, the numbness in your dick isn't going to be fixed by a seat with a cut-out. It also has to actually fit you. Ideally the seat should be the proper width meaning your sit bones in you ass are what is sitting on the seat dispersing the weight of you on your sit bones. Otherwise your weight is put in between your sit bones cutting off the blood flow to vital parts... So a cut out wont fix all your problems.

All those doofuses who ride with their seats way too high and their bars super low are just asking for severe problems down the road. The idea for everyday riding is to be comfortable, not to look cool/aero.

This.

I have back problems from snowboarding and i carry massive bag with all my camera gear alot.

I, as of now, have a racing saddle. I want to find a comfortable saddle, or at least one that isn't so painful on long rides.

And the racing grip I have on it now kills my hands when i'm not wearing gloves. Any grips made for going w/o gloves?

And whenever I stand up to pedal, even when my hands are not near the shifters, the gears seem like they "slip" into another gear.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/pbrbag.html

"Sign up for our bulletin and you will be automatically entered to win this custom-made, one of a kind, PBR Citizen buckle messenger bag. Contest runs until July 31st at midnight, and the winner will be announced on August 1."

Enter to win free chrome bag, I am.

this is right up my alley, isn't it... :lol:

woo finally found these for cheap since my shop doesn't carry em... i wanted to go with the nitto rb-018s, but these are cheaper and pretty much the same thing

http://www.bikeparts360.com/products/soma-urban-pursuit-bar/

Acer, the numbness in your dick isn't going to be fixed by a seat with a cut-out. It also has to actually fit you. Ideally the seat should be the proper width meaning your sit bones in you ass are what is sitting on the seat dispersing the weight of you on your sit bones. Otherwise your weight is put in between your sit bones cutting off the blood flow to vital parts... So a cut out wont fix all your problems.

i think i can solve that by moving my seat further up a little bit.

im just trying to work with what i have here...

+1 on Nuun...

Just putting salt in my water (and a little sugar or dextrose to mask the taste) and eating a banana or two every day was working great for me up until this recent heat wave in Portland. I'm on the Nuun now and so far so good. Lemon lime is pretty tasty. It's kind of overpriced for what it really is (which is a few cheap minerals) but it'll do.

Now that I know you're not riding your bike and that it's a borrowed bike... that's your problem. You're never going to be comfortable until you have your own bike and it's set up to fit you. Just sayin'.

Most of my team mates use this seat -

spec07_seat_toupe_gel_large.jpg

The Specialized Toupe Gel. They swear by it. They have all said it took a month to break it in but once it was broken in, they have never been happier. I'm personally making the switch myself.

You could also go with this -

roll.jpg

Selle San Marco Rolls. Favorite of the pros. I have heard nothing but great things about this saddle. And you can find them online for as little as $60.

You can't really tell in this photo, but this little section of a well traveled road here in Portland is a beast. I have no idea what the gradient % is but I'm assuming it's in the 15% range, if not worse. This section is about two city blocks long... and getting to it is no joy either.

Rubbish knows... Newberry Road.

3760035547_d495ff08fa_o.jpg

Holy shit.

I just had to ride another 10 miles home a little after I made that post up there.^

Though I would take a shortcut. Didn't work. Had to HIKE a mile with my bike and a bag with all my camera gear and water.

Blisters on my feet.

Someone link me to a site where i can get some GOOD flashers/blinkers for night. I need 1 for my bag, one for my handlebars.

Nice pic Joker... I want to get out there sometime soon but lately hills aren't in my plans with all the racing until Eugene Celebration being pancake flat... That whole area + Skyline rules though.

I'm kind of wishing I gave Speedplays more of a chance now and having buyer's remorse with these SPD-SLs I got. Mostly because my left foot feels great in the shoe but left knee is starting to hurt, right foot starts to hurt in the shoe by right knee feels fine. Gonna check out those Specialized BG footbeds, see about some varus wedges and keep trying to dial in my right cleat. Ugh. And everything was so easy when I was just riding with Dominators and ATACs...

Now that I know you're not riding your bike and that it's a borrowed bike... that's your problem. You're never going to be comfortable until you have your own bike and it's set up to fit you. Just sayin'.

Most of my team mates use this seat -

spec07_seat_toupe_gel_large.jpg

The Specialized Toupe Gel. They swear by it. They have all said it took a month to break it in but once it was broken in, they have never been happier. I'm personally making the switch myself.

Been riding this saddle for close to 4 weeks now and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It was well worth the money in my opinion and saves my taint on long rides. I love this saddle.

i know, im either getting the bike im on now to keep soon or im getting my friends giant in october.

i ride FizikGobiTiSaddle.jpg a fizik TI gobi on my cyclocross setup and i was hesitant to put t on the road bike because the only reason why i really like that saddle is it absorbs impacts amazingly well. and you arent doing too many drops on the highway.

and what is up with that bike above me???? is it a road bike? is it a mountain bike? why does it have disk brakes?????

bundy.jpg.e87fa82cd508e5d5759cd8f7c9f62721.jpg

My guess is fast hybrid commuter seeing as it's MTB pedals and flat bars... kind of cool but kind of weird.

I'm amazed some of you guys really like the Toupe saddle... I tried it on a buddy's bike and found it about the same as an SLR - minimalist, hard, nice shape but nothing to pad a pothole or rough road. Maybe I should try it in chamois though...

I swear I posted this earlier but maybe it's just one of those days. I like the Toupe because of the shape. the Toupe Gel has a little extra something there to help with road vibration and to pick up the slack on potholes. A nice pair of shorts is all the padding you need. It's especially nice on longer rides because there is nothing there to irritate you. Just my $.02

Any recommendations/advice on some shorts? would probably be wearing them under something, just on longer rides.

Speaking of saddles, i ride a one of these

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42055

I've never had a problem with saddle sore or chafing or numbness or anything like that, and i ride in boxer briefs and denim. Its not the most comfortable thing after 15-20 miles (probably because of what I'm wearing) but it works. I rode 60-70 miles on it the other day was just the tiniest bit sore when i got home.

Another question:

I usually use my bike for commuting 15-20 miles, and it fits great. On said 60-70 mile ride the other day though, my arms and feet started to hurt/get sore. I'm going to get a fitting soon for the arms, i figure my stem is just too long or too low, but i'm not sure about the feet. I think its because my clips are too short? Seems like the ball of my foot rests a little towards the rear of the pedal, and i would imagine it should be closer to the center. Does that seem right or do I just need some different shoes? What are footbeds? would they help in the shoes i have???