bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Rubbish... I am a firm believer that Campy Ergo hoods are super comfortable but those SRAM hoods are right up there, if you're asking me. I would go with SRAM.

IOU - I've used this in the past and found it to be pretty damn effective when it comes to getting a good fit on the bike - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCM?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO - I did most of the measuring on my own but had to call in a second hand a few times. The fit you have on your MTB is going to be way different from the one on your road/track bike.

Short Track races tonight... kinda scared. Ha!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

IOU For all basic purposes, there should be an ever-so-slight bend at your knee when the pedal is at 6o'clock with your heel flat and parallel to the ground, and your hips should not rock at all when you pedal (put some quarters in your back pocket to find out if they do - if they jingle, seats too high). Bike fitting is a science, though, and while that advice should get you in ballpark range, a bike shop that is experienced with fitting will get the exact angle of your knee measured and dialed in.

Joker you're doing short track eh? I want to but have other priorities this week... wish I could have made it out this year but Cross Crusade should make up for it.

I was looking into Campy Athena (11 spd.) for a gruppo to build up on a Cdale... some Brit sites have it for $700, with Rival in that same range. The new Campy shifters look sweet! It all just depends on if I can build an ebay'd CAAD9 frame + Campy up for cheaper or equal to $1800 for a Rival CAAD9.

• Like 1

So that Short Track race is really fun. I wish I had done the other ones. My arms and hands have never hurt so much though. I guess that course is more intended for a MTB with front shocks. Oh well. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to ride the CCX bike out there. It was definitely fun. Now I'm silly for a single speed MTB... they look like so much fun!!

did you ride it on a CX bike?

and were you wearing gloves?

i ride a rigid CX bike on the local XC trails and they are extremely rooty and technical and i found if you ride in the hoods, your hands will hurt ALOT even with gloves and if you ride in the tops(i think thats what its called. up where the cycle computer would go) your wrists will hurt.

So that Short Track race is really fun. I wish I had done the other ones. My arms and hands have never hurt so much though. I guess that course is more intended for a MTB with front shocks. Oh well. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to ride the CCX bike out there. It was definitely fun. Now I'm silly for a single speed MTB... they look like so much fun!!

Riding an SS 29er has been some of the most fun I've had on a bike period. You should get one... I know I plan on it soon. I think it'll be a great way to beat the winter weather by going out in the trees and actually have fun instead of suffering on base miles in the rain for 4 hours.

Riding an SS 29er has been some of the most fun I've had on a bike period. You should get one... I know I plan on it soon. I think it'll be a great way to beat the winter weather by going out in the trees and actually have fun instead of suffering on base miles in the rain for 4 hours.

jeez theres a novel idea! have some fun on a bike, if your local trail system is extensive you can suffer plenty on a mountain bike. 10 miles of serious single track with switchbacks will feel like 25 miles of road riding and you'll use muscles in your arms you never new you had. I like 29ers but they're best for long flatter, tame rides, nothing too steep up or down. You might like the feel of a nice , light 26 single speed with a 120mm travel(ish) fork. Explosive power feels much better on 26" wheels IMO

i ride ss mtb and i have no problem climbing... and besides, everyone who rides ss mtb with beat anyone when it comes to climbing, its a well known fact that ss is faster on climbs. just slower on flats.

ss 29er is possibly THE funnest thing ever. if you can get your hands on a Redline flight monocog and a fork for it then your golden.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to look into one used. I have always been skeptical about buying a MTB because I was afraid it would be a waste o' money but now that I know I enjoy it... seems like the thing I need to do.

I started last nights race at the back of the field and ended the night in 18th... out of 60+ racers. Next time i gotta be more toward the front when the race starts!!

i might actually. the seat i have on my road bike makes me feel like i have to go pee when i ride in the aerobars.

it doesnt look that crazy... thats the only model with the weird white wave looking things on it and thats not the model i want to try.

put i suspect it will be terrible on the inside of my thigh when not riding in the aerobars.

and also, i bob on my other bike when i ride it. im assuming that has to do with the fit, what needs to be adjusted?

Man... the crit course I raced on sucked ass tonight! Two 180 degree turns in a 2 lane street = entire field slows down to 6mph every other minute of the race. Kind of a "meh" night for me, couldn't get the positioning I wanted in the sprint and had a scary moment 500m before the finish (tire slipped a bit as I got out of the saddle). I just want to upgrade to cat 3 and then get the hell off the road racing thing for the season.

Cyclocross is getting close...!

Yeah, that mid-summer crit course is kinda silly. I'm always amazed at how many people love it. I'd rather go for a training ride that do that boring loop. How did you fare on Tuesday? I was conservative most of the race, then with about five laps to go two Rapha guys, the Bissel guy and a few others got into a decent break about 20 seconds up the road. With two more Rapha guys on thefront of the main field meant they were goingto stay away. So I slowly made my way to the front and put the hammer down. I got them within about five seconds of being caught, turned around to look for some help and here was three Rapha guys behind me. Knowing they would'nt work I stood up and drove it till I reached the back wheel of the break. After that... I was done. I slow rolled into the staging area, grabbed my bag and putzed my way home. I'm still exhuasted from the effort...

Ahh, don't ya hate it when team tactics effectively shut down your race?

I actually placed slightly better than I thought- 4th. I was confused for the first few laps about how deep points were going because I didn't hear anything about it before the race and I'd see guys sprinting for 10th place every lap, then I found out they were three deep. So on lap 5 I was able to win the sprint and then get back in the group and take a rest. Ironclad did a pretty good job with getting their two man breakaway, and when the cat 1/2/3's passed our group, that breakaway disappeared into the distance with it. So it was basically them racking up the rest of the points. On the last lap, Ironclad formed a train at the front and I tried to stay in the middle of it to disrupt their flow but eventually got ousted to the back, so they had all their guys in front dictating pace. In the field sprint at the end I was 10 or 12 back and managed to pass about 7 or so people in my jump. Felt good. Brutal headwind coming into the finish yesterday!

I did like that points format though. Similar to the track except it's usually 5 deep there with about a 10 or 15 in the field instead of 54. But every lap was exciting, as opposed to just the last two.

Badass rider of the day award goes to a guy in our field with one arm! He had half a handlebar and (I'm assuming) one shifter and brake too.

I feel ya. 3 flats in 5 days, all on different tires. I've been getting awfully good on riding on flat tires until I can get near a bike shop or home.

Flat after the PIR race on Tuesday was possibly the biggest buzz kill because I was all spandexed out, riding about 12mph trying to make sure my tire didn't roll off the rim.

Surprising, my wheels never go out of true from that shit.