bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I feel ya. 3 flats in 5 days, all on different tires. I've been getting awfully good on riding on flat tires until I can get near a bike shop or home.

Flat after the PIR race on Tuesday was possibly the biggest buzz kill because I was all spandexed out, riding about 12mph trying to make sure my tire didn't roll off the rim.

Surprising, my wheels never go out of true from that shit.

well, they were slow flats and i didnt notice them until i was home. 15 miles away from the nearest bike shop.

but i took them off and it was a thorn that got both of the tires.

and i dont have a pump.

do they make road tires with kevlar bead?

and ive heard about people using co2 to pump up their tires, how exactly does this work? it doesnt look like it would be easy to control how much pressure gets in.

One shot of Co2 would be enough to fill a 700cc tire. Co2 is awesome cause its compact and easy to put in your bag for when you have a flat on the road, really recommend it. Its faster to fill and get get on the road quicker.

They do make Kevlar tires, I have some on my bike and I can run over anything. thorns, holes, glass, it don't phase those tires they are awesome

im guessing there is some kind of applicator that you screw the co2 in one end and put the other end on the valve?

and also, whats the benefit of those long skinny threaded valves (schrader i think is what they are called)? they are just a pain in the ass for me...

and how much does a set of those tires run for?

036.JPG.81039f3c1115b55290a4b936d24e39c7.JPG

im guessing there is some kind of applicator that you screw the co2 in one end and put the other end on the valve?

and also, whats the benefit of those long skinny threaded valves (schrader i think is what they are called)? they are just a pain in the ass for me...

and how much does a set of those tires run for?

schrader is regular valves like you would find on your car

PRESTA is the long skinny ones you would usually find on road tires

most Co2 pumps have adaptors for both

There is an applicator for the CO2. They're around 20 bucks and worth the money. The tubes you're thinking about are presta valves and it's honestly the same thing. All they are, are the shrader valves minus the hard plastic body around the stem. I don't know what the benefit is to these but it's seemingly a lot harder to find 700c X18-25 with the shrader valve anymore. Plus the options with weight and varying thickness on the presta valve tubes is much higher. The kevlar beaded tires are average priced but you have to remember that they are going to be heavy since the added material in the tire.

oh okay.

they are confusing to me...

:confused: :confused:

what is so confusing?

smaller no spring presta valve on road bikes, it makes sense. they have no internal spring so they are easier to pump up quickly (makes sense for racing dudes)

shrader are for fat tire commuters and civilians that really dont need to pump tires quick.

it doesnt really matter what flavor biking you do... anyone enthusiastic about bikes reads up about all kinds of bikes... and considering road cycling is probably the biggest cycling classification out there, theres tons of articles...

and considering i come from XC riding and am only riding road because i was given a road bike to use and i only ride it because its the "rainy season" and the trails close.

now, if you want to compare bike skills, come talk to me about whether or not a hardtail 29er is faster then a full suspension 29er when it comes to XC. and dont say "you know more about that because you ride one". i ride a rigid CX setup...

gt gutterball...what ch`all think? i possibly have one soon.

I'm not feeling the Gutterball for a few reasons. The upward sloping top tube is ugly, parts on it are shit mostly, brakes, braze ons and water bottle holes etc.. take away from a clean track aesthetic. I guess I really just don't like it because of the general disservice it serves to the older GTB and Pulse models. I doubt you're buying it for track use, not that I hold that against anyone who rides fixed solely on the street, you'd be better served starting on a mid 2000's Pista or the like, even a Mercier Kilo. But whatever, I like my GTB, plus the triple triangle looks dope.

GT-09-gutterball.jpg

vs.

gt_pulse_54_01.jpg

(not mine but close)

Yo Joker, you catch the crit tonight? Ho-lee-shit.

Two bad crashes right at the corner we were watching (Couch St.). First one was in the 3's - whole group took too wide of a turn and two unlucky guys on the edge went into a curb... about 5 seconds later, the two person pile up turned into a 8 or 10 person one when other people in the group had no where to go. Luckily everyone was up a few seconds after they were done, but a lot of skin left on the concrete.

Second one, in the pro/1/2 race a guy's tire clincher exploded and he went down, the guy right behind him launched over his bike, lunged forward (after being aired up 3 or 4 feet) and went right down on his arm/shoulder. Broken collarbone. Poor guy. The other guy had a taco'd Reynolds rim.

Twilight Crit has to be one of the most dangerous of the year for sure. I remember last year a guy bunny-hopped over a fallen rider and his bike, and there was some rolled tubulars and assorted mee-lee. Year before was probably the same but I don't remember it as well.

• Like 1