bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Rubbish... was there last night. The guy whose tire exploded and ended up with the Reynolds taco was my team mate. He also snapped the deraileur hanger... bike no good no mo'. Second Scott he's been through this year due to crashes. Not a happy kid. The Felt rider who went over him definitely broke his collar bone. Talked to him after the race. He was supposed to come to our team at the start of the season but decided to stay with Felt. He wasn't pissed, just chalked it up to racing.

There were other crashes you didn't see that saw where I was... in the S turns. In the 3's the guy who won the Mississippi crit did a spectacular somersault and barely missed going into the full crowd at the corner. He was down for a few minutes but eventually got up, shook it off and rode till he got pulled. In the 1/2's one of the Hagens Bergman guys lost his front wheel in a turn and went flying. Craziest thing I've ever seen. His front wheel just came out of his forks!! Took about five guys down with him. Amazing no one was hurt in that one. My friends in HPC went down... all at the same time! In the far north corner. What sucks is they had just caught the four man break when they went down. Yeah, that crit is brutal for sure. One of the main reasons I don't do it. I don't have the money to replace any equipment if I were to get in a crash. Broken bones are no big deal... at least I get to rest. Ha!

most tires that cost more than $30 each have some kind of flat protection. that protection has nothing to do with the kind of bead though. the bead is the outter edge of the tire that locks into the rim. a kevlar bead is often used on folding tires because kevlar is strong but pliable, unlike wire bead which cannot fold. some companies also use kevlar in their flat protection such as continental in their gatorskin model.

Won the criterium today! Well, cat 4's. Fun course. Six corners on an "L" shape. I took a lot of flyers in the front today and "tried" to attack right from the gun but my inability in clipping in fast kind of turned that into just setting the initial tempo with another guy instead. With about 2 laps to go the pace got up and I made sure to stay in the top 6, @ 1 to go two amigos on another team went out for a flyer that the rest of the field didn't respond much to, I bridged up to them between the last two corners and then match sprinted against my friend for the win.

Here's the crash I was talking about in that race on Friday, person with the camera was right next to me watching but I'll be damned if they didn't do the worst buddy cam job ever. You see a tennis ball fly in from the right @ 8 seconds and then the carnage starts. Mostly you can just hear it in the video.

started welding a frame together. luckily theres a steel bike in the shop thats already been stripped for parts so i have a bb and headset to use.

the top tube is going to be 2 separate rods that connect to the sides of the headset, then the gap between them (its a tad over a inch) widens past the seatpost and connects to the top of the dropouts. atleast thats the plan. i may cut the two rods right at the seatpost because i dont feel like trying to get that bend perfect. id have to outsource for that if i wanted to do it half accurately.

and when building a frame, how do you know what length to make the stuff? im mimmicking my road bike but i have no idea what angle the headset should be at etc. and ive never been fitted so i have no sizing to go off of...

and way to go rubbish!

Seems like you're just going in this blind without any research. I'd suggest reading up on it a little more before getting to involved. Get yourself sized at your bike shop and mimic those measurements. Try to get in touch with someone else who does hand build frames.

ive been reading on frameforum.com and it really hasnt told me anything i didnt already know. im a fairly experienced welder, the top tube (both of them) are perfectly level and whatnot.

and also, every thread i read about a guy who is making his first frame and is basing his measurements on his fit got it wrong. wrong as in the bottom tube length and the headset angle combined means theres half a inch gap between the end of the bt and the headset. stuff like that. so im just going to mimick the dimensions on a road bike that fits me great.

ive been researching this for months... i just didnt know how to get around the fact that i cant make a headset or bb. then i discovered we had a steel frame bike.

I got no idea about frame building, but I would recommend you look at frame spec sheets from different manufacturers to get a better idea of sizing and geometry. I think one of my old mtb bikes came with a diagram showing all the tube lengths and angles for each size.

But first you need to figure out what size you need.

Post pics of your progress.

Rubbish... was just reading the results from todays race and saw you had won... had to come in here and say congrats!!! Technically it's the same tough course as the Friday night crit which is really hard. That's great you won!!!

Looking at that video... I don't think the tennis ball had anything to do with the crash, unless riders went wide trying to avoid it. Still was pretty stupid of someone to do.

I got no idea about frame building, but I would recommend you look at frame spec sheets from different manufacturers to get a better idea of sizing and geometry. I think one of my old mtb bikes came with a diagram showing all the tube lengths and angles for each size.

But first you need to figure out what size you need.

Post pics of your progress.

yea, im looking for a decent angle measuring tool and i have to go get 3 new innertubes and a pump(fuck having two different bikes with two different sized tube with two different type valves) so im going to try to use my leverage to get a free semi fitting. if i have to il just call up this guy i know who builds frames in town, we are pretty good friends through work, i had to call him for his "expert advice" on a project i was assigned. the only reason why im getting into frame building is because its fun, its uncharted territory and i can get all the metal and tools for free. and i dont have the cash to just get a new bike.

but il definitely post pics of my progress.

i will probably leave it raw depending on how my welds look. im not brazing it so i wont get that cool rainbow effect.

yea, i love the look or raw steel. i wouldnt use gun blueing if i were you, and since your going to have to remove the paint somehow you wont get that rainbow look around the welds either.

I'd just go for a clearcoat or nothing at all if you dont live in a rainy area. but if my welds dont look too sexy and depending on the components i might get my graff n dance skills with the rattle can out and paint a white front which fades to blue at the chainstay and do a bunch of polkadots on it like the king of the mountain jersey in the tour de france. i mocked it up in bikecad and it looks pretty ill. go to bikeforest.com and check out their bikecad program, theres no download and you can see what your bike will look like before doing any changes to it. they have a really comprehensive paint scheme mode.

They used to do that up to the late 80's and call them "crit bikes". Basically, the geometry was between road and track - shorter chainstays (~39cm), higher BB, steeper head tube and seat tube (~74 degrees), less rake on the fork. The standard road geometry almost universally across the line for a mid range size is 7cm BB drop, 73 degree head tube and seat tube, 40-41cm chainstays and 45mm rake. The reason the chainstays are around that for road is for longer ride comfort, so one can ride easier in the saddle all day without hurting. Shorter chainstays are more responsive but beat the rider up a little more in less than perfect surfaces.

Personally, I'd love to have a crit geometry bike but no one makes that anymore. Specifically, a really high BB would be awesome for pedaling through corners worry-free (I'm talking 45mm BB drop).

Chainstays are one factor of how a bike will feel sprinting but not a completely make-or-break deal. Stiffness is also very important (as is rider preference for how stiff they want that BB area to feel), as is bike position and weight distribution in the drops.

id give you a good deal on a frame if you told me the exact dimensions you want and gave me a goal weight to aim for. i did a cost outline and what these people are charging for custom frames is insane...

Just get the gas pipe frame out of the way first. I am sure there are more than enough experienced frame builders where he is. What kind of tubing are you using any way?