bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
shouldnt at all, just make sure the geometry is right

yea theres a frame builder who pops in at my work from time to time and im going to try to get his opinion on it and to see if he has a frame jig i can rent/borrow.

il be making it out of steel because i dont know how to weld aluminum and i dont have access to stock aluminum and a tig welder.

but i have just a few questions...

is the bottom bracket just a hole of a certain set diameter that you get tapped before you assemble the complete bike?

the hole that the fork goes through (i dont know the name) is it just that, a hole?

i guess what im getting at is all i am able to do is cut metal with an angle grinder and a chopsaw and weld it. i wouldnt be able to put a collar around a hole or any other complicated stuff if that makes any sense.

yea theres a frame builder who pops in at my work from time to time and im going to try to get his opinion on it and to see if he has a frame jig i can rent/borrow.

il be making it out of steel because i dont know how to weld aluminum and i dont have access to stock aluminum and a tig welder.

but i have just a few questions...

is the bottom bracket just a hole of a certain set diameter that you get tapped before you assemble the complete bike?

the hole that the fork goes through (i dont know the name) is it just that, a hole?

i guess what im getting at is all i am able to do is cut metal with an angle grinder and a chopsaw and weld it. i wouldnt be able to put a collar around a hole or any other complicated stuff if that makes any sense.

The bottom brackets are precise measurements for bearing and crank spindles to fit in...I would recommend buying some BB's to find the fit...I dont know about road bikes but in bmx some BB's are threaded for easy installation.

Also the headtube is precise for the fork to fit through...again buy the fork you want and measure the diameter so you can make a headtube that fits.

Having a bike out of steel is going to be heavy as fuck....but at least it will be fast since it doesn't bend and all the momentum will be going to the cranks

Single speed? How come you dont wrap your bars?

Just noticed that you said your bike was a "motoBACON!"

yeah its single speed, i took off the tape to change them to this bike

and havent bought any new tape. /yeslazy

and yes my other nike i call it the "MOTOBACON"

because shes greasy

the tubes have to be mitred to fit around one another.

bottom brackets are often part of the lugset if you are going to go lugged.

a steel bike will not be terribly heavy if you are working with a proper tubeset.

if you work around steel then i imagine someone knows about reynolds and columbus.

you should be able to order a tubeset through the distributor.

i dunno how frankenstein you are gonna go.

also head tubes have a lip to fit bearings and the headset in it

this is what i cant do.

i mean, i can do it but it will be reeeeeeally sketchy and it wont be flat, it will curve downward toward the hole some (ream out the hole with a drill bit)

we dont use steel tubing for anything at the shop (oddly, im the only person to ever touch what little tubing we do have) so i will be ordering it all.

and im perfectly fine with going frankenstein with the bike,

Raced an alleycat last night. Tried something new and used a speedometer/HRM as well. Also raced a geared bike instead of track bike this time, second time I've done that. I was at a 175 average HR for the whole thing...fuuu. I guess I'll call that my lactate threshold. Placed top ten but not close enough to winning, but for once I didn't have anything in the way of close calls like every other damn alleycat I've done. Got a slow leak near the end though...

I need to do some serious time trial/lactate threshold work.

Today I am building this up:

yhst-84224226242177_2065_118839

http://www.velo-orange.com/vopari.html

If anyone is doing a classy vintage build, this is your rim. It's like a mirror polished Mavic MA2, perfect box profile with a super clean joint and single eyelets.

critical mass ftl.

in other news.. im getting ready to go on a 10-day bike tour around wisconsin/minnesota but i'll be on my fixed gear rather than my cargo bike. i am not sufficiently confident in my roadside repair skill when it comes to gearing stuff. besides, finances dictate i "stealth camP" i.e. go 10-15 feet off the road, hide my shit and hang my hammock setup. quick, easy, portable, stealthy. also why i opted for the smaller rig.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com has some good stories and pictures. i'll probably post some journal stuff there after the ride. might post pictures too if i decide to take my camera along.

anyone else do the touring bidniss ?

• Like 1

I'm too fucked to ride intervals tonight.

But anyone wanna try this one....

10 min warm up

1min at FTP*

1min recovery

2min at FTP

1min recovery

4min at FTP

1min recovery

8min at FTP

1min recovery

16min at FTP

10min cool down

Total = 55min

*Functional Threshold Power (otherwise known as FTP) is the highest power (watts of output) a cyclist can maintain in a consistent, steady effort for 1 hour.

I'll save that one for future reference but I have other intervals I need to get done with no time frame for them with 2 or 3 races in the vicinity this week.

Hey Joker, I was wondering what you thought about SRAM's ergonomics/brake hood comfort vs. Shimano? I was thinking about making the switch next season. Kind of bored with 105 and my next bike will probably be a CAAD9 so 105 or Rival is the choice in my budget.

Euth - they built up with almost no fuss either. After the initial truing following getting one thread showing on every spoke, there was barely any work to keep it trued with each round of adding 1/2 turn tension. Only really had to touch two spots of hop on the radial side too. Even easier than building my Open Pros, but then again I'm more experienced with truing this time around too. I can't wait to get riding them today. The high polish is really nice and the joint is real clean.

Kind of a stupid question, but how bent should my knee be when fully extended while pedaling?

I feel like maybe my seat should be just a slight bit higher. On my other bike(single speed mountain) my legs feel a little more comfortable if that makes sense. Seems like there is more extension. I also need to get a better seat for the mountain. Fucking seat is rough.

Gotta admit I'm really digging riding lately and may even step my game up and get a bike(with gears and all) for exercise purposes, but right now just riding around, benching and doing errands is a good start.

Thanks to everyone in this thread that helped me before I got my two beater bikes. It was much appreciated. My apologies if I forgot to mention that before.