bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
why didnt you say anything to mountain bike guy you dick

Cause BMX is totally different the what people are talking about in here, go ride your bike instead of getting mad on the internet. I was letting him know, not harassing him about.

"He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction." - Proverbs 13:3

because there is no mountainbike thread bitch

but there can be;)

I consider Mountain bikes to be in the same as road bikes, same circle of people that are into it.

BMX is more like skateboarding and is a whole diffrent lifestyle, you wont hear bmxers talk about doing sprints and working out...if you know what I mean. Unless they are racers

There isn't really all that much fixie talk in here. There is a lot of track talk, but not much about "dude I did the gnarliest skid yesterday!!!"

I'd like to hear more MTN bike talk though, I've never gotten into it before but it seems like a lot of fun and want to start looking into it.

So I need to paint my main bike. The dude who had it before did a shitty job and shit is chipping off.. I would like to do this before the winter hits.. The painting itself shouldn't be a problem, but putting all back together could, being that I don't have the knowledge I should.

Would it be smart to take the bike to a shop and have them put everything back together?

And any advice on painting, taking it apart or putting back together would be appreciated..

I do have bicycle tutor bookmarked, but still figured you guys got something I could use.

i was real hesitant to start taking my bike apart for maintenance and upgrades, but it turns out it's easy so long as you have the right tools.

packing bearings and all that shit is a real pain in the ass without proper equipment.

luckily i have a friend who is steady building his tool chest /nh.

--

you could get most everything put back fairly simply, minus the headset and BB, and then just hit a shop for those few things.

save that skrilla.

Putting your bike together should be no problem, just dont lose any bolts!

But the general thing is if you took it off put it back on, some bikes have washer spacers and other do dads that dont really look important but are.

I think that the only problem you might have is with the drive train, other stuff is just simple common sense

*edit, also like count c said, having the right tools is a must. Dont go ghetto rigging anything to get a part off or on, it will hurt your bike in the long run

yea i used to be terrified to take my bike apart and whatnot, now that i have the semi right tools (i still need some of those skinny wrenches...) its easy and fun. just put on some slayer and get to work. but dont do it in a shop, if you have to then lay down a drop cloth so all the little parts that come off dont get mixed in with the non parts. because i know some bolts look exact same to some other bolts but really arent...

if yall want il start a mtb thread... once i think of something to start it about.

and i came up with a pretty wicked paint idea last night, im thinking get a assload of little strips of newspaper (just text) then paper mache it onto the bike then cover it with fiberglass resin, that should hold it on and will also give it a yellowed appearance. that finish on the entire bike paired with red metallic components would look fucking sexy on a fixed gear or bmx

im sure if your friends with some of the local bike shop people they will let you use their tools and not charge you if you say "can you guide me through taking my bb out?" thats the line i always use and it always works perfect. ive gotten free innertubes, bottle cages, bar wraps and all kinds of little stuff like that

yea i used to be terrified to take my bike apart and whatnot, now that i have the semi right tools (i still need some of those skinny wrenches...) its easy and fun. just put on some slayer and get to work. but dont do it in a shop, if you have to then lay down a drop cloth so all the little parts that come off dont get mixed in with the non parts. because i know some bolts look exact same to some other bolts but really arent...

if yall want il start a mtb thread... once i think of something to start it about.

and i came up with a pretty wicked paint idea last night, im thinking get a assload of little strips of newspaper (just text) then paper mache it onto the bike then cover it with fiberglass resin, that should hold it on and will also give it a yellowed appearance. that finish on the entire bike paired with red metallic components would look fucking sexy on a fixed gear or bmx

Mmmmm....red components

Yeah, I don't talk with any of the local bike shops just yet.. Maybe I'll start today, but I always feel awkward talking to people in general.. At least the first time anyways.

I have done the same thing as the post above (talk to the guys at the bmx shop) I also got free bolt stems, crank stems, and other do dads just for being friendly and talking about bikes. Its worth it, those little parts are pretty much the top thing that you end up replacing or needing at any moment.

Get of the the shell and save money!

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't talk with any of the local bike shops just yet.. Maybe I'll start today, but I always feel awkward talking to people in general.. At least the first time anyways.

The thing that helped me was volunteering at my bike co-op. You're biggest problem is setting your headset back together and making sure it's perfect. Meaning it doesn't shake nor does it bind. It seems simple but without proper tools its a fucking pain, same with the bottom bracket. Might be worth the extra cash to just buy a cartridge bottom bracket to save you the hassle. Other than that, you should be able to do it, figuring you can take it apart. Plus you can always ask questions on here, its easier to get shit answered here than on other bike forums, from what I've noticed.

• Like 1

thats the truth^

and yea, today i got brand new bontrager gel lime colored bar wrap today because somehow the little strips that go under the hoods were missing so they couldnt sell it and they let me have it. and i never wrap that part anyways so it worked out perfect. and is it just me or does bontrager package their stuff (bar wrap, innertubes) really well? i mean, the package design just flows. i love the way they look.

you definitely need to befriend your local bike shop people, in fact, befriend everyone whos local. (unless you live in a huge city). the way it is in my town when it comes to mountainbiking is no matter how much of a grudge you have against someone for whatever reason, when its race day your best buds because you too busy talking shit to the out of towners.

I'm good friends with my Local Bike Shop. I come in sometimes just to play catch with their dog who is always in the shop. I wear the dog out and take him off their hands for a little bit and all the sudden labor charges for truing a rim or two go out the window... it's a good relationship. They're nice people.

i came SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO close to getting a nice ass time trial bike for free today (i didnt see what brand it was). this chick who does triathalons was training for her last triathalon before retiring and broke her collarbone in a fall. we were talking outside the bike shop and i asked her what she was going to do with it and she said just give it away. and then a salesman from the shop came out with a pretty earth cruiser and told her she could trade for that bike...... i was piiiiiiiised.

hahahahahah^

what did they do?

Well, the race had 4 "hot laps" and then points in the finish line. Hot laps go 3 deep (3, 2 and 1 point for the first three guys across the line) with a double points one in the middle. I got three points in the hot lap and then won the mass sprint at the end of the race (two guys escaped on a breakaway, so they got to the line ahead of the main group). And somehow that gives me an overall result of 12th place? Not computing for me at all.

I'm thinking maybe I should rude the 3/4 race one night an help you deflate that Ironclad team...

That would be awesome haha. They weren't too tactical this time but they do always seem to be the most represented team in our field. Two of their guys were really strong and both got by me in some of the hot laps sprints. I did my homework though and it paid off... made a note of which Ironclad guys were dusting the first few hot lap sprints and got on the perfect wheel in the last stretch before sling shotting away.

That was the wettest race I've done since Banana Belt by the way haha. Its definitely fun in its own way to race in the rain, besides the whole water being sprayed in your eyes thing.

So when I was riding yesterday, I was going like 22mph down this hill riding with no hands. My handlebars/front wheel started wobbling so I had to grab the wheel.

Is this normal?

Should I tighten anything?

check your front bolts, if that is tight it might be that your wheel needs to be trued...10 dollar fix