bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when you wrapped it, did you get profile design wrap or bontrager wrap? bontrager wrap is one million times easier to wrap then that profile design bullshit. and dont get white wrap... it will get filthy after 5 miles.

oh and rubbish, dont put drops on your mountain bike. i ride drop bars on a single track course and it kills my hands. even with gloves and bar wrap under the hudz i can only ride for an hour in the hoods. and you have to ride in the hoods for anything technical because thats where your brakes are.

I bought Forte wrap. It was all they had and like $6. I got yellow, and yep, its already dirty.

Does anyone ride to work? I live about ten miles from my job and it would be great to stop driving my truck (5.3l v8) there almost everyday. How do you deal with the sweat in the summertime? Do you just carry your work clothes in a backpack and change there? All I wear are dickies pants and a polo at work so im not worried about wrinkles.

Thanks.

oh, never heard that brand. profile design is 11 bucks ere and its the hardest fucking thing to wrap, bontrager is 16 but its easy to wrap. i buy bontrager.

i ride to work, its exactly 10 miles from my driveway to the bike rack at my work. if i have to work in the office il bring a change of clothes but if im working in the shop im going to be sweaty anyway so il work in my riding clothes (unless im wearing spandex). but be sure to waterproof your bag because i use one of those drawstring cheapass bags and the sweat from my back goes right through it and gets the contents soaked. so just waterproof everything and have fun

oh and rubbish, dont put drops on your mountain bike. i ride drop bars on a single track course and it kills my hands. even with gloves and bar wrap under the hudz i can only ride for an hour in the hoods. and you have to ride in the hoods for anything technical because thats where your brakes are.

True but that's where CX levers come in...

I'm between trying it and not trying it. Seems you have to jump through some hoops to get road levers to work with V-brakes. But it'd be cool to try out on this 29er when the SSCXWC happens this season in Portland.

For now I just gotta get this replace the cheapo POS stock bars/stem on this Bikesdirect bike with some cheap used/slightly better stuff in 31.8 from the bike co-op.

How does one go about sizing the front-end on a rigid MTB? i.e., length/rise of stem?

The bike I posted above is Travis Brown's baller whip for the Leadville 100...

I'm buying a SS rigid 29er, probably today or Monday. It's going to be this POS except with a Regal saddle, Thomson-like seatpost, and better V-brakes:

outcast29_600.jpg

For $200 I can't really say no. Wheelset is shit but can easily be replaced by a tubeless set with whatever decent hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. I'm just looking to have fun on singletrack come winter time and cross-train/improve handling skills. Not really trying to race XC or anything yet.

PS God damn, something like this happens every summer in PDX... http://bikeportland.org/2009/08/13/man-on-a-bike-allegedly-dragged-150-feet-following-traffic-altercation/

wait what?? piece of shit?? thats a motobecane.... the only reason why its so cheap is the fork is rigid and it has Vbrakes.

are you getting a deal the bike or are you buying it offline? i need a mtb...

Buying it from a friend. I'm not saying the frame is shit... it's a Bikesdirect bike, they're usually decent (i.e. not pretty but they work fine) frames with less-than-stellar components. Bikesdirect's business works like this: they buy up the rights of old brand names (Windsor, Motobecane, etc.), get frames out of the same factories that bigger companies use (Fuji for one), and then put their own paint/names on them, spec out some low to decent quality components and price them at near wholesale, then sell in high volumes.The wheelset is shit, the cockpit is apparently unsafe for off-road use according to online reviews, and the cranks are nothing special. That's all fine - it's just a project to slowly upgrade/keep the frame anyway.

no, i race. i go for speed. hence not wanting a full suspension bike.

and rubbish, have you heard anything about kona's fire mountain delux? i just may buy it because the delux has some semi okay components (i already have a nice seat and it comes with disc brakes. the brakes are the first thing id upgrade if i had a bike with v brakes)

there is an extreme benefit to disc brakes when it comes to stopping power. with a decent set of hydraulic disc brakes you can stop the maximum force with just one finger on the lever. and thats impossible with vbrakes unless your going 5 miles per hour. that and you can break your cable by pulling the lever too hard with vbrakes which is a hell of a bad thing to happen when your riding. plus disc brakes just look so much better. in every way.

Got disc brakes on my cross bike, which I also use for winter (i.e. wet weather) training and since buying the bike I have become a firm believer in disc brakes for any kind of wet or muddy conditions. I understand why folks boo and hiss agains them in cross but for wet climate riding they're nothing short of phenomenal.

Of course now I want that Redline Monocog Flite 29er so bad... It's painful to think about. Who is it that rides one of those in here?

Of course now I want that Redline Monocog Flite 29er so bad... It's painful to think about. Who is it that rides one of those in here?

its an amazing bike IF you buy a suspension fork. dont get the regular monocog, its made from a different type of steel and isnt nearly as strong.

other then putting a good fork on it, its the perfect SS bike.

and ironically, i went riding today and the trails were wet and all i heard all day was the screeching coming from my rim brakes.

You MTB dudes never answered my previous question about how to go about sizing the front end with stem length/rise...

what do you mean by "sizing"? fitting it to your body or determining what components you need to buy?

You MTB dudes never answered my previous question about how to go about sizing the front end with stem length/rise...

Length of the stem will affect handling.

Shorter stems (under 70mm) are preferred for quick snappy steering response and control, usually on DH or freeride bikes. And your position is obviously more aggressive. Like this.

Longer stems (~120mm) are sort of the opposite, they're better for a more relaxed stretched out position on the bike, and are common on XC bikes. Like this.

Angle/rise, similar thing again. On DH type bikes the angle is very low, usually 0-10deg. XC stems are usually a bit higher (5-15deg). The higher angle will give you a more relaxed position.

If you're building yourself, maybe leave the steerer tube a bit long, then you can experiment with moving a stem up/down (with spacers) to find the best position.

That's a pretty general overview. Really depends on the kind of riding you're gonna be doing. And you have to consider comfort as well.

So about 6 miles into my ride last night my left crank arm got real loose. Like, at the pedal end there is about an inch of travel. When I found the bike, the left crank arm didn't have a nut on it. So yesterday I took the nut off the other side and went to home depot and bought one that was the same size. So I put that shit on and shit and went for my ride last night around midnight. The first six miles it was tight.

I read around on the internet and it seems like when this happens it means its time for new cranks? Id ask on the forums I read that on but all the threads were from like 04 and 05 (google search).

Now, I'm trying to put as little money into this bike as possible. Is it time to replace the cranks? Would buying a set of used cranks be a good idea?

Thanks a lot.

So about 6 miles into my ride last night my left crank arm got real loose. Like, at the pedal end there is about an inch of travel. When I found the bike, the left crank arm didn't have a nut on it. So yesterday I took the nut off the other side and went to home depot and bought one that was the same size. So I put that shit on and shit and went for my ride last night around midnight. The first six miles it was tight.

I read around on the internet and it seems like when this happens it means its time for new cranks? Id ask on the forums I read that on but all the threads were from like 04 and 05 (google search).

Now, I'm trying to put as little money into this bike as possible. Is it time to replace the cranks? Would buying a set of used cranks be a good idea?

Thanks a lot.

Are you tighting the shit out of them? Really get some torque when you tighten your cranks.