bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

got back from my tour on monday. i took my kona ute because i planned on camping. last day of riding i did upwards of 90+ miles. before leaving i bought those ergo grips because my shorter 50 some odd mile rides my hands would hurt.

now i got a different problem. the ends of both my pinkies and ring fingers are partially numb and its got me kind of worried. i also wore biking gloves but am considering getting new ones with extra padding on the bottom part of my palm because the middle bottom part of my palm where the extra thumb-tissue and pinkie tissue padding meet hurts to put pressure on. i hope that made some sort of sense. im not sure if i sholud be worried about this

im thinking for future tours to find me some pretzel bars which in my still fledgeling search am yet to find, but bar ends were also suggested to me as well.

but... it was an awesome trip and cant wait to do more and be much more prepared next time.

off to see some velodrome racing at the NSC in blaine, mn tommorow night. i'll try to remember my camera. :)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

any opinions on frames, I'm going to pick one up soon for a build..these are in the price range and I'd rather build then buy some shit everyone has..

IRO mark V

vs.

Kilo TT

Im 6'4'' and 240-260lbs...

I plan to build a single speed / freewheel flip flop /no hipster

This is for my around town, I already have a dope road bike..

Acer - I think I'm gonna close the deal on this 29er tomorrow. Got a few questions for you...

I can upgrade the fork out to this in the long run: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=886 for disc tab option. Would running a front disc brake/rear V-brake be chill? Any problems I'll run into?

Also I'd like to build up a tubeless wheelset when the Alex rims eventually run thin at the brake walls. Something like these ZTR rims http://www.notubes.com/ztr_rims.php with some Sapin Laser spokes... got any cheap hub options? I don't need bling, just dependability... I was thinking Deore LX or something. I can handbuild my own wheels so that'll cut down a little on expense.

running a front disc and a back V would get you some very very very odd looks, you might not be able to use the same levers for both and probably most important is when you go to use the back brakes after using the front brakes you will either not squeeze it enough because it will be extremely different then the front brakes and also visa versa. but if your like me you should be fine. i dont even have back brakes on my mtb, all i use is the front and even on the steep downhills is does me fine. and thats while in the hoods on a road bike so im already about 6 inches further forwards then on a mtb so dont listen to anyone when they tell you that the disc on the front will make you flip on downhills. unless you mash it, youl be fine.

and as far as hubs go, not alot of attention is put into hubs when it comes to mountainbiking so whatever yo choose should be fine. deore's would be a good start, they are good and reliable but if you start getting into racing and doing jumps and stuff (which i doubt you will be doing with a rigid fork) id upgrade to some lower level Hope hubs. they run for about 100 for the front and 140 for the back on pricepoint.com but you can get them in that gold finish which i think looks amazing with black rims and black frame. and as far as tubeless goes, that is probably the best upgrade besides going clipless. 29er tubes can get pricey and if your running a rigid youd most likely get ALOT of pinch flats. my rigid bike get them all the time (the trails here are EXTREMELY rooty) and both tubes probably have 6 or 7 patches in each.

what bike are you getting? i only know of a few 29ers that come with a rigid fork. (redline monocog series)

i rode today with some guys from the shop. i stuck out like a sore thumb, they were all on gary fisher hifi's with jerseys and headlamps and i was on a rigid walmart road bike with no shirt and no light haha. i kept up with them though, broke the screen on my computer, now its really dark and crap. still have the warranty though so im all good.

Ratrod Bikes...

100_0595.jpg

pics001.jpg

sactfinished001.jpg

lacucaracha010.jpg

1938-Roadmaster-7-09.jpg

S6304859.jpg

S6304964.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

I had this exact same bike except mine was a brown metal flake color. But I had the banana seat and the ape hanger bars... ah, the 70's were a good time.

DSC02693.jpg

bestsofar007.jpg

unknown.jpg

100_8911.jpg

DSC04954.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

spring2009068.jpg

CopiadeIMGP2498.jpg

side-2.jpg

Final_Spaceliner_quarterbac.jpg

I know, not fixies or roadies but still two wheels... and kinda interesting.

whats the going rate on a early 90s steel colnago road frame in supergood condition?

If it's indeed mint condition, the seller can get basically whatever he's asking. I'd say 1000-1600 frame/fork as a modest point of reference. It varies. People always bid those up high on eBay though.

Acer - It's a Motobecane Outlaw 29er (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm) with a few upgrades from stock (Shimano levers, Flite saddle, Thomson-like seatpost, FSA headset). Just picked it up today off my friend for $200. Gonna have my mechanic friend eye it over tomorrow - mainly the brakes need a little adjustment and the wheels could use a touch up truing. My friend really only rode it on the street - said it was "too slow" for him... well no wonder, I'd hate to ride a 29er exclusively on the street. Gonna swap out the 42t for a 33t tomorrow (33x18 seems like a decent starter ratio), swap the garbage stock stem for a 90mm Thomson lying around and find some cheap alu 31.8 risers to throw on. Then it's pretty much on... can't wait to hit some trails/single track here.

Joker - we had a crash at the velodrome tonight with 4 laps to go on a 50 lapper... between turns 3 and 4 I watched another guy basically slide down the bank on his left shoulder, and then my friend in the sprinter's lane had nowhere to go and ran into him. 2 guy pileup... Candi ended the race after that. Bummer. I guess the guy sliding down chopped a wheel before that and wasn't really looking to his side before changing lanes. I was feeling good up to that point too, but still got scored into 3rd with my points. Surprisingly I think that's the first time I've been in a race with a crash at the track...

bottom bracket question.

I've got a FSA Gossamer crankset but no BB, I dont have enough time to order one and get it shipped to me before I move on Monday so I'm trying to find a substitute. I have a Shimano SM-FC5600 BB that looks like its about the same type as the FSA. Could I use this as a replacement?

Acer - It's a Motobecane Outlaw 29er (http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outcast29_08.htm) with a few upgrades from stock (Shimano levers, Flite saddle, Thomson-like seatpost, FSA headset). Just picked it up today off my friend for $200. Gonna have my mechanic friend eye it over tomorrow - mainly the brakes need a little adjustment and the wheels could use a touch up truing. My friend really only rode it on the street - said it was "too slow" for him... well no wonder, I'd hate to ride a 29er exclusively on the street. Gonna swap out the 42t for a 33t tomorrow (33x18 seems like a decent starter ratio), swap the garbage stock stem for a 90mm Thomson lying around and find some cheap alu 31.8 risers to throw on. Then it's pretty much on... can't wait to hit some trails/single track here.

run a 32 on the front.

and how are your trails? mine have super steep hills and i ride a 32/18 and its perfect for the big hills. if your trails arent that bad and have alot of good flow (ours are insanely rooty, so unless your on a 29er with front suspension its hard to get a good rhythm going. until you hit the hills) you can get away with the next harder sprocket. i cant remember right now the particular size (i think a 17?) because i started on a 17t bmx freewheel (long story) because the 18t was out of stock. now i use the 18 but i still have the 17t. id mail it to you if you payed me 10 bucks to cover shipping, it weighs a ton.

im getting a friends steel frame rigid 26er mountain bike monday, its super responsive and does whatever you tell it to. i love it but i wouldnt buy one, id want something with a little suspension and some better components... its geared so that will be interesting to see if i can get a better lap time with gears. and i cant remember the manufacturer as of right now...

Word. I picked up a 32t cuz that's what they had at the shop. Got some used Truvativ XC-DH Team Risers too... gonna have my friend take a look at it then it's on for trail riding.

In Eugene where I spend the majority of my time, the trails I've ridden seemed to be a pretty good mix of stuff... some rooty descents, some narrow single track, some long climbs with switchbacks added in, some dirt jumps built into the side of the trail... I'm new to this shit though so I can't really give that great of a description.

yea 32 is a common size.

3 miles of the trails i ride is all flat woods that is nothing but huge ass roots, log crossing, rock "armor", switchbacks which is a terrible combination with wet roots and is in the shade so it stays wet longer. its terrible on a rigid frame... and with hurricane bill coming, everything will most likely erode ALOT more and its going to be tough.

i think im finally getting to the point where my bike is holding me back. i need to get a good mountain bike soon...

got a 2001 parkpre sport limited today. for freeeee.

i put new tires, new bottle cages, new brake pads, new shifter/lever combination, new grips, new seat and new bar-ends(actually called "stabilizers". they extend for and aft of the bar. they are fucking sick)

only spent about 50 bucks, and landed an unpaid internship with the bike shop as soon as a work bench opens up. i helped them out a bunch this weekend while iw as there because it was their 35th anniversary celebration and they were SWAMPED so i did all the repairs for a bunch of customers. so they gave me alot of free stuff (only charged me for the tires, and only made me pay for one)

im pretty excited to take this thing out on the trails. im not used to looking down and seeing a fatass tire and im not used to having gears haha. and it weighs 30 pounds even. (steel frame of course)

Probably had my worst day at the track all year today. Ugh.

Got a bad starting position at the back of a big group but still managed to take 4th in the win-and-out first race, then promptly got a flat front tubular after. Burrowed a friend's Zipp wheel... on lap 4 in the second race some guy on a Trek carbon road conversion put his rim between my non-drive chainstay and crank arm. How neither of us crashed I don't know, but there's a nice little ding on the chainstay where it happened. I guess it pays not to make a quick panic when you hear a bang. That freaked me out pretty good and messed up my mental game for the rest of the day but I still sprinted for a few points and eased off in the final laps.

Third race, got fucked over on some slow wheels/boxed in when the faster guys in the 3's were making their attacks. Same people I've been waiting for attacks and then hopping on for the easy draft all season, but it wasn't happening today. At some point I watched the dude that put his rim between my chainstay/pedal make a quick twitch and nearly ride into the guy right in front of me. A few laps later I felt a hop on the rear at some point half way through the race, thought I was getting a flat and said "Fuck this" and pulled off track. My first DNF in a race on track... thinking about calling it a season after one more match sprint day.

I think I'm coming down with a cold too... or a flu? Swine? I dunno.

• Like 1

i just moved back, i was in portland for the last year.

the cutter has one of those easy release seat post thingies (technical term) - am i stuck with having an easily jacked seat post/saddle, or is there a way to make it so you gotta at least have an allen wrench to pull the seat post out??