Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

Originally posted by seeking@Jan 27 2005, 05:41 AM

you can't teach art, huh?

haha. if you say so.

i learned more while living with king of hell for 8 months than i did in the previous 5 years of stumbling around on my own. people who say you cant 'teach' art are generally lazy and scared. sorry homie, just my opinion.

i think u got it twisted, i didnt exsplane myself well

what im saying is yes, you can teach tricks, colors and techqunics (sp)....but u cant teach a style that has to come from inside u....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

WOW i think we have alot of miscommunications here

coffie crave very mature "fuck me" because i asked a simple question

its not like im elitist or even go to college myself so fuck off

onesecondple i dont know if that was directed at me but you really dont know the extent of my work so i hope not

i never said i dont appreciate jokers work, i love it, i wasnt even saying my humble critique is worthy of someone who has put in sooooo much more work than me and painted alot more than me.

yeah i know who joker is, i have seen his early painted work i realize he is a "graffiti writer" first and a quote 'artist" second but shit it was a simple fucking question "did you go to art school?"

he is showing his work in art galleries so im sure it is a pretty common question

But if the discussion of weather art school is good or not started as a result of this then i think there are basic things that are good to know, things that can help you. these things can be learned in art school or could be learned from trial and error or books either way they will help you

love lore

Originally posted by Joker+Jan 26 2005, 11:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joker - Jan 26 2005, 11:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ENO ELPMIS@Jan 25 2005, 07:52 AM

FUCK alot of this shit

Care to elaborate?

[/b]

well im not hating on anything specific, i just think its ridiculous that people start writing like last year and start doing canvasses when they couldnt paint a canvass that looked good period with or without graffiti lettering. and yes i know everybody starts somewhere but take your time post pictures when you got somthing genuine and good. just thinking tho, i was waching style wars (the gallery part) and alot of the stuff i would never rock on my wall...anyway the point is just cause its graff dont mean it look good in canvass its how its done and the colors and the craftsmanship.i dunno ive never done a canvass that i liked, just cause a 16 year old chick you know from class likes it doesnt mean its good. whatever im retarded, and hungry and pissed im in class

wow, this thread is getting all heated.

onesecondple. some people roam all the thread. be it brickslayers, paperchase, etc. and never post a comment. it doesn't make you a toy to roam and not comment. there's already enough b/s and asskissing to fill a fucking someshit (out of metaphors).

the end. more canvases.

p.s.: oneseconple told me totem uses ny thins on his pieces...same with canvases?

Originally posted by Yellow Feets+Jan 26 2005, 02:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yellow Feets - Jan 26 2005, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HAL@ Jan 26 2005, 02:04 PM

i have a small series of graffiti style work that say stupid phrases. I also have a "Stupid Fresh", "Holler Back", "Holy Crap" and "Word Up".

Dude... why?

[/b]

Just because I think it's funny. I was never of the school to think that art absolutely has to be deep and meaningful. What we do is graffiti, for christ's sake. That's not to say that it can't be serious, but that it can also be light. I see so much graffiti art that's trying really hard to be substance heavy, and it's just not for me. My canvas work is just stuff I enjoy doing, and hopefully someone else will like it, too.

I guess the stupid phrases are appealing to me because i can take a step back while I'm working on them and laugh. It's hard to get frustrated with a canvas when it says something retarded. It was pretty funny seeing people at the show opening trying to read them, and laughing a little when they deciphered the text. I'd like to have something funny like that on my wall.

Originally posted by ENO ELPMIS+Jan 27 2005, 05:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ENO ELPMIS - Jan 27 2005, 05:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Joker@Jan 26 2005, 11:35 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-ENO ELPMIS@Jan 25 2005, 07:52 AM

FUCK alot of this shit

Care to elaborate?

well im not hating on anything specific, i just think its ridiculous that people start writing like last year and start doing canvasses when they couldnt paint a canvass that looked good period with or without graffiti lettering. and yes i know everybody starts somewhere but take your time post pictures when you got somthing genuine and good. just thinking tho, i was waching style wars (the gallery part) and alot of the stuff i would never rock on my wall...anyway the point is just cause its graff dont mean it look good in canvass its how its done and the colors and the craftsmanship.i dunno ive never done a canvass that i liked, just cause a 16 year old chick you know from class likes it doesnt mean its good. whatever im retarded, and hungry and pissed im in class

[/b]

I'd have to disagree with you. Maybe on a critical level the art is crap, but if someone likes it, then i guess the goal is achieved. If your goal in making art is making money, I guess you'd better brush up on your academics, like color, composition, proper beret placement on the head, etc.

I personally think it's great that kids develop an interest in art through graffiti. If they're proud of what they accomplished, regardless of how much academic merit it has, then good for them. At least they're not sitting on their ass all day long, and that should count for something.

Here's a couple more canvases from the show. I figure I'll post them here and keep this thread rolling. Thanks for the feedback.

The first is one of my only oil paintings, owned by my girlfriend, and the second is acrylic and spray paint, owned by my tattoo guy. I'd love to do more oil paintings, but they're time consuming. The blending quality is unreal.

Canvas_05.jpg.9ccaf0033f7abf17791ec3e89b324a01.jpg

Canvas_06.jpg.8baaee04d8f31e4b0b35ab7af728d0dc.jpg

Joker that's a shame that you no longer feel the urge to showcase your work. I've always admired your new direction and found your work very inspiring.

Hecz-that collection of yours is worthy of its own thread. Its cool that you surround yourself with some sweet art and support urbans arts, much kudos. That totem canvas must have cost a fair bundle but defintely worth it considering the others in your collection.

Originally posted by HAL+Jan 27 2005, 08:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HAL - Jan 27 2005, 08:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Jan 26 2005, 02:22 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-HAL@ Jan 26 2005, 02:04 PM

i have a small series of graffiti style work that say stupid phrases. I also have a "Stupid Fresh", "Holler Back", "Holy Crap" and "Word Up".

Dude... why?

Just because I think it's funny. I was never of the school to think that art absolutely has to be deep and meaningful. What we do is graffiti, for christ's sake. That's not to say that it can't be serious, but that it can also be light. I see so much graffiti art that's trying really hard to be substance heavy, and it's just not for me. My canvas work is just stuff I enjoy doing, and hopefully someone else will like it, too.

I guess the stupid phrases are appealing to me because i can take a step back while I'm working on them and laugh. It's hard to get frustrated with a canvas when it says something retarded. It was pretty funny seeing people at the show opening trying to read them, and laughing a little when they deciphered the text. I'd like to have something funny like that on my wall.

[/b]

Yeah, I see what you mean. I do stupid shit too. But yeah, let's say I bought a ton of your "stupid phrases" canvases. I go home and hang 'em on my wall. A couple of my friends come over, maybe even my girl, and they go "Hey, what does this say?" and I say "It says Holler Back". ... ... ...... .

I'm not one to say shit like that. I'll see what's up at Evos though.

peace

Yeah, I see what you mean. I do stupid shit too. But yeah, let's say I bought a ton of your "stupid phrases" canvases. I go home and hang 'em on my wall. A couple of my friends come over, maybe even my girl, and they go "Hey, what does this say?" and I say "It says Holler Back". ... ... ...... .

I'm not one to say shit like that. I'll see what's up at Evos though.

peace

I'm not sure I understand. Are you upset that I make canvases that say dumb things, as opposed to my graffiti name or whatever? Does your girlfriend get really offended by slang? I don't say things like "jolly good, ol' chap!", but I'd get a charge out of a fancy painting that said such a phrase. I'm not trying to prevent anyone from buying my artwork, but I also don't understand buying a piece if you don't like it. I'm confusing myself by trying to figure out what you're saying. Ow.

That patch is awesome.

Originally posted by HAL@Jan 26 2005, 11:32 AM

Those two canvases in the previous post are done with paint markers and acrylic paint, on a spray background. Pretty much standard issue. The first says "Hell Yeah" and the second "Yeah Bro". i have a small series of graffiti style work that say stupid phrases. I also have a "Stupid Fresh", "Holler Back", "Holy Crap" and "Word Up".

Here's a couple more that I'd call more traditional art. These are done with scrap cans of paint that I took home from fame spots, any can that the mixing ball still rattles in. It's interesting, because sometimes the can is so rusted that I have no idea what color paint is inside. I like them because it's someone's discarded trash and making something out of it. You'd also be surprised at how many kids throw away cans with a lot of paint left in them.

awesome idea man... very cool.

It's funny to me, the people who talk shit about art school. Art school, like any extended education is to prepare you for a career in commercial art (if you sell it...it's commercial). It's not for everyone, the work load is usually veryhigh, and many "creative" people can't handle criticism, this thread is proof of that. But it's not just the instruction you get, it's the people you meet in your peer group. Life is about networking, and no one becomes succesful without it. That's not saying you have to go to art school to meet people in your field, but it does make it easier. While on the subject, not everyone who goes to art school is rich.... far from it. Yes the best schools ( arguably) cost the most, but there are plenty of lesser known schools that have strong faculty and a good student body. So stop all the hating and judging things on the surface without looking at the big picture, or.... fuck it.... just keep on going threw life hating on every thing that doesn't fit in w/ your world view.

oh and that Transend shoe looks kind of interesting. Is there an online link to that gallery?

time to crawl back into my computer.

yellowfeat,

hey man, if you're not feeling ouija's stuff, you can go on ebay and 'verbal kint' will do any word you want in a 'graffiti style' for $19.95.

:rolleyes:

i feel you though man, im so fucking sick of artists making the art they want! it's like...HELLOOOOOOOO, i'm the one spending the 'dinero' ya know?! shouldnt my opinion matter the mostest of them all?!?!

Well, there was that one time we took down a handle of Beefeater, put on tweed suits and bowler hats. I forgot about that one.

If I ever had a signature euro paint color, it would be tweed. It would come out mostly gray and tan, with bits of black woven in. Yeah.

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Jan 28 2005, 10:58 AM

I didn't mean for it to sound like "Stupid phrases? That's a stupid idea" but yeah, I see how y'all took it that way. BTW, "Jolly Good" sounds good. ;)

It's next on the list.

Come to think of it, I've never said holler back and been serious about it. Or stupid fresh, for that matter. Oh well.