Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm kind of curious...

What do people find interesting in those Ges or Kem canvases? I like the graffiti that both of them do, but in terms of art I'm just not feeling it. The bugs on the lightbox is kind of cool, but if you look at Kem's canvases its a posterized photo of a train yard screen printed (or cut out of paper in the second one?) with some sundial-like circles painted in a tint of the background color, and some 5's etched in the glass. The result is an unthoughtout hodgepodge which looks like it was made just for the sake of making a Kem5 canvas. In the first piece the placement of the etched 5s in no way help your eye move through the piece, instead acting more as a distraction. In the second piece, the traffic signal wire continuing from the etch to the photo is a nice effect, but then the van at the bottom looks awkward in relation to the street above it. The piece becomes very bottom heavy also with the pole leading your eye to the bottom where the detailed van and kem outline is.

In the first Ges canvas the little rectangles at the bottom with bones look totally amateur. I realize they relate to the number body parts, but they aren't integrated into the work at all. The placement of the bones in the darker background make them pop a lot, creating a focal point, even though the figure is much more interesting. Those numbers aren't doing much for me either...

I just don't see much substance. Anyway... call me a hater but I've always wondered this...

Typeerror..

Yeah, fair enough some of those canvas' dont look as good as they could of but sometimes thats what makes them interesting. That they are weird and dont really make sence. Art is what you feal, not what someone else does. Otherwise who is really doing the artwork? Those works show creatitivity and skill, maby not to their highest level but they still show it. Seeing the few Kem5 pieces i have seen i know that he can produce quality. But pieces have sketches and canvas' dont in many cases. I know most of the time i paint i just start out doing what ever i want to and then ill get the idea when im about half way through. I also just prefer those works to some of the ones on here showing things like newspaper clippings or cardboard coming off the canvas etc. I dunno, my friend just died and i cant really explain it that well but i like them because i can relate to them and they seem to paint a picture i can lose myself in so im no longer sitting here at home on my computer.

typeerror.

good post. i was going to completely sidestep the kem/ges stuff, but since i cant be accused of bringing it up, i'll go ahead and add my .2 cents (of course).

my 'problem' with their work, is that it seems to lack any kind of real emotion. it seems to be driven more by the desire to make something that looks 'cool' and is marketable, than something with an inherent expressive value, the ges stuff especially. of course i've always had problems caring too much abotu stuff that combines random imagry in an attempt to 'say' something. to me it just usually says 'i needed a line here to blance this out and make it look more like a diorama'. just not my style. they're all very well done of course...they look like 'finished' works, but once you get over the initial amusement of them, theres just not much there. not for me anyway. the box with the cans and the bug box im a little more into just for sake of creativity, and conversation. they'd be cool to have in your living room almost as non-functional furniture or something. i dont know, i cant explain it. they still seem like something constructed just because it was 'pretty cool' though. obviously theres nothign wrong with that, but i think it could be taken a bit further somehow. maybe i'm just over critical though.

since some of you have skin like rice paper, and i'm potentially setting peoples heads on fire by 'dissing' their heroes, i want to make sure it's understood that this isn't at all an 'attack'.

jher is awesome. i met him a few years ago at scribble jam. we were both being courted by the same girl. he was to hang otu with her that night, i was to hang out with her the next. we spent a whole lot of time together laughing about it. thats all.

this thread is a better place with the likes of people like typeerror and seeking. we will miss jokers thoughts too, maybe if we play nice he will come back (well heres to hoping anyway). Its good to hear opinions of people who think about more than just good images.

I am a lazy artist and due to opinons like these i have been able to look deeper at my own work and start the search for new ideas that have more to them. sorry for the rant, its just these past few days discussion have hit home and I just wanted to extend my thanks to these guys for putting up with so much bullshit and still comming back to share thoughtful opinions.

typeerror and seeks-

good points, but i disagree with some of it... kem took ulgy iteam's...that people mostly over look as just trash and made them into something beautiful that catches your eye and gives you a whole other out look on thos iteam's, i belive it was very creative and alot of thought went into this...i very dought it was just on some this looks cool stuff...all tho kem canvas work is over reated just becuase hes ''kem'' but the shelf and glass case to me at lest has alot of meaning....the glass case is almost like looking into a graveyard of olds cans...drained of their soul, which was once used to create beautiful art work pecies...and all thats left now is the rusted shell...

but yet...i dont know thats just my opion on how i see thats peice, we all think diffrent...the others im really not feeling to much,the train yard/city canvases...but hey maby thos 2 might have something ment behind them to someone ealse.

its art there really is no end to thought, you cant just draw the line, its all endless, which makes it so awsome~!

yes i said awsome...dudezz

It's funny to me when writers are surprised that talented wall/train painters can't make the transition to canvas or alternative mediums. We all grow up developing a stylized word, to make it look 'cool'. It's branding a product. There isn't a concept other than make eye candy.We are not trying to make a conection other than 'look at me'. So when a writer switches medium he also has to switch his thought process in making images. When you share your pictures w/ others you are communicating, and to be successful you need to know what you want to say before you say it. But talk is cheap and I'm anonymously making points about people's work I have never seen in person.

other than that the cans behind glass and the shelf instalation looks like they came from the photography meetings for the movie "Seven".

--- light boxes are the new black.---

Originally posted by seeking@Feb 4 2005, 03:05 PM

it took me seriously 3 minutes to figure out that 'iteams' meant 'items' and 'dought' meant 'doubt'.

my point made sence and instead of you, just going your own way, you had to find something that had nothing to do with my post let alone this thread, you say to me...thats just how you are tho

i mean by all means...please post up some of your canvases with 5th grade acrylic backgrounds...i need a good lol and maby some of ur graff work with hurt letters and sorry colors...you talk so highly on here but really your not that much of a high step to some of these new jacks on this thread....

but all in all your the real joke