The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

wicked awesome peanut..

arcel..

some guy said this..

ISO Settings

Stephen Canning

12-15-01

Are you wondering what the ISO dial on your camera is used for? Learn to adjust the ISO setting in order to "trick" your camera into giving you the results you want.

_

Your camera's light meter decides how much light should be let into the camera based on what "speed" your film is or the ISO setting of your digital camera's CCD. A fast ISO 800 film will need less light to be properly exposed than a slow ISO 100 film. So, if you are using a fast film, your camera will use a very small Aperture, limiting the amount of light hitting the film. If you are using a slow film such as ISO 100, your camera will use a wide aperture, letting more light hit the film. See our Film Speed article for a more in-depth look at this.

_

With a traditional camera, when you load film into your camera, the film has a special coding on it that will tell the camera what speed the film is. The camera's light meter will then select an appropriate amount of light to let in. In a manual camera, the light meter will suggest the appropriate aperture and shutter speed for the shot, while compact cameras will automatically set them for you._

_

However, it is possible to trick your camera to get creative results. Let's say you want to underexpose your picture a bit. This is something that you would commonly do to create a silhouette against a bright background. Just set the film speed one faster than the actual speed of the film. For example, if you are using ISO 400 film, set the ISO at 800. The camera will then think that it must limit the light to get the proper exposure, so it will choose a narrower aperture. Less light will hit the film and the picture will be slightly darker. After adjusting the ISO, just take the picture as you normally would.

_

This adjustment will affect exposure to the same degree as changing your aperture or your shutter speed one setting: decreasing the speed will let twice as much light hit the film while increasing it will let half as much light hit the film.

_

Digital cameras, although they don't have film, will often have ISO settings. However, changing the ISO setting on your digital camera will not overexpose or underexpose the picture like it would on a film camera. This is because the sensitivity of the camera's sensor is actually changed along with the sensitivity of the light meter. Changing the ISO setting is like putting in a new role of film with the new ISO rating. You can't trick the camera. Instead, use the exposure compensation function, often called E.V.. Plus or Minus 1 E.V. is equivalent to one ISO adjustment.

_

ISO adjustment is easily done on SLR cameras, often with a control built into the shutter speed dial. Many compact cameras will not have adjustable shutter speed or aperture, but will have an ISO setting. This may be the only way for you to adjust exposure and will make your camera much more versatile.

_

Don't forget to set the ISO back to the proper level for the film before you continue regular shooting!

I however will be posting photos after work..

ATTENTION ALAN MC ANGRY PANTS

http://www.plugintothefaithless.com/Picture1.jpg'>

I picked these up the other day:

(L to R)

Polaroid Square Shooter 2 Land Camera (Type 88 film)

Polaroid Swinger Model 20 Land Camera (I think this takes actual 120mm film, not sure though...film???)

Polaroid Colorpack II Land Camera (600 film)

Polaroid Automatic 103 Land Camera (film??)

All of camera aside from the Automatic 103 have some cheesey little faux leather cases and I also have two 6 packs of flash cubes!

I'd like to use the autmatic 103 and the square shooter but nothing more than shoot a couple pictures.

So you interested in this lot of cameras?

Originally posted by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

ATTENTION MIS PANTALONES PANTS

Polaroid Square Shooter 2 Land Camera (Type 88 film)

Polaroid Swinger Model 20 Land Camera (I think this takes actual 120mm film, not sure though...film???)

Polaroid Colorpack II Land Camera (600 film)

Polaroid Automatic 103 Land Camera (film??)

Keep theses cameras for yourself. I have multiples of each anyways.

FYI, you have some of the cameras and films types confused.. check here for better info:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam.htm

Also, try using some 667 (B&W packfilm) for your Auto 103.

You'll get pics like SteveAustin just posted.

Speaking of, looks like I have some competition.

:D

Alright you photos nerds, I'm off for Montreal and Vermont.

See you in a week.

Originally posted by -Rage-

Keep theses cameras for yourself. I have multiples of each anyways.

FYI, you have some of the cameras and films types confused.. check here for better info:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam.htm

Also, try using some 667 (B&W packfilm) for your Auto 103.

You'll get pics like SteveAustin just posted.

Haha, I'm actually glad you aren't interested. I went thirft shopping with the lady and found all of these for a buck each and had no real interest in them(other than the auto103...it looks so cool.) and prematurely posted them thinking you'd be interested then I started to see if I could still get film for them and my interest slowly grew into a small obsession. I just ordered a the twin pack of the 667 and a pack of the type 88. I'm expecting them to arrive sometime before friday so probably when you get back there will be pictures up.

For the "swinger" that site you linked said it was "roll film" I was wondering if that's actual roll film as in like 120mm film or if there is some crazy roll polaroid film I am completely unaware of.

Edit: That actually reads "Attention My Pants Pants" and that makes me laugh for some odd known reason.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

^^ Oh my gawd....did you go back to the future and accidentally make your mom fall in love with you? Your brother is starting to disappear from the photo. ha-ha....yeah...probably showing my age with that.

good stuff mr peanut.

hahaha. no doubt. thanks for the good words.

this is probably the best thread on 12oz.

cheers all.

i'm super interested in these land cameras. i know nothing about how to operate them or develope the photos, but i love the way the pictures look. i see alot of you talking about finding them in thrift shops but i've never found one before. any help or info is appreciated. i've searched the internet and basically all i came up with was super long lists of camera models and film types.

Guest Pilau Hands

after ese and i held up the disposable passaround for a combined total of probably 6 months or more,

i'm so itchy to see what everyone took. rage i'll mail you the dough or send some big dude to give

you a piggyback ride to the store so you don't even have to walk.

but please...

please? :)

dude!!

tonight i was eating dinner with the mom and i just so happened to bring up polaroid cameras and photography. i was like i really want to get a hold of an old land camera. then she says "actually i just threw mine out." so i went outside and dug through the garbage and came up with this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/imaslacker02/landcam.jpg'>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/imaslacker02/landcamback.jpg'>

it's a polaroid minute maker plus se colorpack land camera. other than that, i don't know shit about it. i'm really psyched to learn this thing. any tips?