Insomnia

PUMPKIN ESCOBAR

Every night I lie down at 11:00 pm and stare at my ceiling and count the number of times the heater goes on and off until 4:15 am when I finally fall asleep. I get up three and a half hours later and I'm pissed off until about 11:00 when I finally wake up. I've been taking over the counter sleeping pills but they aren't doing shit and I'm this close to going back on presciption pills. You guys got any tips or methods to fall asleep without them?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, I had your problem all through the summer. Get off the OTC sleeping pills right now, they're all the same and they're all fucking useless after a couple days.

You can try the herb Valerian, that helps alot of people. Didn't help me though, I ended up taking 10 at a time and still wouldn't be able to sleep.

Prescription wise, there's Ambien but you shouldn't take it long term. It works, though.

I'm off the Amb now, I'm taking a supplement called 5-HTP and it's been working better than anything else. It's not really a sedative, what it does is it puts serotonin in your brain which is the chemical that regulates sleep. More serotonin, easier time falling asleep on your own. You take it a couple hours before bed on an empty stomach, I highly recommend trying it out. No side effects for me.

Anyways, if you smoke weed, get a nice indica strain and smoke it an hour or two before bed and you should fall asleep immediately. The downside of this is that you usually don't dream when you go to bed blunted, which I miss. It can also get expensive.

Beer will help you fall asleep, as we all know, but you get low quality rest and wake up feeling like shit...

Sometimes I like to drink coffee up to the time I go to bed, and than my dreams go past me like race cars on the Indy 500...Zoom..Zoom.. Just kidding on that one, place the movie quote on that one and you can have a cookie....

Anyways I'm feeling pretty wired and productive and all that shit, it's probably time for me to end this post.

RubberSheepOner

i've had chronic insomnia since this one day when the girl i fell in love with told me that her and my best friend had fucked. that was probably one of the most fucked up days. anyway, i don't think about her too much anymore. atleast, i try not to. but i still have the insomnia.

Originally posted by onesecondple@Oct 19 2004, 09:50 PM

velarian is just supposed to help with restful sleep, not gettin you to sleep.

all the otc are just benadryl, so he is right

what you want to do is hit yourself with a bat

valerian helps relax 'you'. ambien is the ill pill form illaville. mexican ambien is it's awesome cousin 'ricoh'

ricoh ambien. you heard me. go to sleep, fool

Originally posted by PUMPKIN ESCOBAR@Oct 19 2004, 10:31 PM

Every night I lie down at 11:00 pm and stare at my ceiling and count the number of times the heater goes on and off until 4:15 am when I finally fall asleep. I get up three and a half hours later and I'm pissed off until about 11:00 when I finally wake up. I've been taking over the counter sleeping pills but they aren't doing shit and I'm this close to going back on presciption pills. You guys got any tips or methods to fall asleep without them?

gigli.jpg

Buy this movie and watch it every night. You should have no problems falling asleep after that.

Serotonin actually doesn't have much to do with sleep; personally if I was managing neurotransmitters in order to accomplish a more restfull sleep, I'd focus on melotonin. Moving on.

The most effective cure for insomnia that I've seen implemented is actually a behavioral plan, rather than a medication. It works as following:

1. Night one: Stay up until 5 a.m. Go to bed. If you can't sleep, don't worry about it. Set your alarm for 7 a.m. It is essential that you don't sleep past this time.

2. Night two: Go to bed at 3 a.m. Wake up at 7 a.m. again.

3. Night three: Go to bed at 1 a.m. Wake up at 7 a.m. again.

Repeat these steps, reducing bed time by one or two hour increments until you reach your ideal bedtime over a period of a week or so, and you shouldn't have a problem creating a residual sleeping pattern. It is critical that you reduce your caffeine intake and that you DO NOT NAP, as that will most likely impact your circadian rhythm and melotonin cycles.

I might also add that you're working against yourself by sleeping in until 11:00 in the after noon. Your body doesn't want to go to sleep 12 hours after you woke up... ideally it would range from 14 to 16 hours. Try waking up a few hours early for a couple days in a row. You'll feel like Captain Shit-Ass for a few days, but should be able to fall asleep easier.

Also, if you can't sleep after 45 minutes or so of laying in your bed, go do something else. Your body creates incredible behavior patterns, and if you're laying awake building anxiety, you will build a pattern. Current research suggests that you do something very lowly stimulating, and not in your bed, such as walking around your pool, or reading on a couch.

i've been having this exact problem lately. they prescribed me ambien but for various reasons, i didnt try it out until a few nights ago, and holy shit, did i get high. my girl took one too and fell asleep immediately, i on the other hand had a trip i can compare in terms of its mental aspects only to psilocybin. i forgot where i was, who i was with, what was happening, i couldnt see...

not to mention it did a shitty job of putting me to sleep. i'm giving it a second shot tonight.

I'd say try reading in bed. that way when your eyes get tired you can just set the book down and crash. something really uninteresting might help as well. make yourself read for a set amount of time. those boring ass school books always made me fall asleep after only 20 minutes or so.

Prescription sleeping pills always got me a little bent before I passed out. I used to be on Seroquel, it's for schziphrenics but it's also a very powerful sedative. I'd take three or four and watch some TV and when those fuckers kicked in it was a fucking mission to get off the couch and climb the stiars to my room.

I've been doing a lot of reading before I go to bed. I usually flip through old magazines until my mind is going numb. I can't even fuck with my school books, they get me heated and I usually end up throwing them across my room. I'm going to try to do that clear your mind stuff. Whenever I lie down my head gets flooded with shit. I start worrying and getting all anxious.

stopping all those random thoughts that keep flying into your head is hard.

don't get frustrated.

if you get good at it, it will calm you down a lot.

try to concentrate on your breathing.

like i said, even if you don't fall asleep, it will relax you.

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Oct 22 2004, 11:09 AM

I'd say try reading in bed. that way when your eyes get tired you can just set the book down and crash. something really uninteresting might help as well. make yourself read for a set amount of time. those boring ass school books always made me fall asleep after only 20 minutes or so.

Supposedly if you have insomnia, reading in bed is exactly what you don't want to do. I can't explain exactly why, but if you have a lot of trouble sleeping, you're only supposed to use your bed for sleeping, not other activities. So if you can't sleep, don't read or watch tv in bed, get up and do it elsewhere for a bit, then come back to your bed and try again.

Originally posted by MrChupacabra+Oct 22 2004, 09:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChupacabra - Oct 22 2004, 09:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SteveAustin@Oct 22 2004, 11:09 AM

Supposedly if you have insomnia, reading in bed is exactly what you don't want to do. I can't explain exactly why, but if you have a lot of trouble sleeping, you're only supposed to use your bed for sleeping, not other activities. So if you can't sleep, don't read or watch tv in bed, get up and do it elsewhere for a bit, then come back to your bed and try again.

[/b]

I already explained this in my previous post :love2:

...a few sleeping meds are actually hallucinagins (...the prescription meds)...but they only work if you stay awake...a friend of mine was bi-polar and on some sleeping pills...he used to take them and just force himslef to stay awake for hours by drinking coffee and other shit...he said it was the craziest trips he ever had...for this reason i completely discourage use of sleeping meds...

...the best thing to do is get tired...spend the day doing stuff...alot of times insomnia is coupled with depression because you exert almost no energy during the day...force yourself to be active and it might help...but if you're going to be up you should do something productive with your time like read or write or something like that...

Archived