Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not everyone that eats meat is getting it from the sources you are sighting in your rant. Buzz words like 'free range' and 'pastural (congratulations, your beef was at one point in a paddock)' are price jacks and guilt trips.

Move to the country, slaughter locally, eat fresh. This applies to every meat product I eat.

Whole heartedly agree that you don't need three meat dishes a day though.

Buzz words like 'free range' and 'pastural (congratulations, your beef was at one point in a paddock)' are price jacks and guilt trips.

Move to the country, slaughter locally, eat fresh. This applies to every meat product I eat.

im inclined to agree with your first statement, however not completely. i think the price jacks and guilt trips would more be suited for govt certified organic, free range, etc. most of these terms are marketing schemes. just because an egg is labeled 'cage free' doesnt mean it is a joel salatin style pastured egg operation that results in this deep dark orange colored yolks, great flavor and proper omega 3 and cholesterol levels and balances.

i used to be quick to point out that all beef is 'grass fed,' and quickly learned to use 'grass finished' to differentiate. i could care less if the govt has certified the beef i eat as organic, nor do i care if a previous renter of pasture land dowsed the field in urea 10 years ago preventing said field from being labeled 'organic' today. what i care about is health aspects of grass finished beef, the CLA content, cholesterol, etc. to many stories abound of people switching to eating solely grass finished meat and/or wild game and lowering their bad cholesterol levels to obscenely low levels.

the only problem with your second statement is the government has largely made it impossible in most areas to slaughter locally, especially in rural and semi rural areas due to zoning. (most states dont allow abattoirs (commercial zoning) in agricultural areas.)

symbols, check this guy out and report back:

cant remember if he harps much on carbon in this series, but other podcasts and lectures he does...

Before I weighed into the discussion I should have stated I am in Australia. It would seem from a quick poke around, and your post, that things are quite different stateside. I have an abattoir literally five minutes from my doorstep. My venison is from about ten minutes in the other direction, the furthest travel would be my fish and chicken, at about a 45 minute drive.

I always cringe when I have to actually go to the supermarket and I see what people are buying from the meat racks - and then nearly passing out when I see how much they're paying for it!

At work right now, but that video intended for symbols will be on the watch list later on.

Cooked for Bon Vivants event on Friday.

The "Standing on Stardust" party. Our theme was 70's food with a slight modern twist.

Rangoon: filled with mascarpone and uni, drizzled with yuzu caramel

Swedish Meatballs: Brandy Cream, Huckleberry Compote

Rock-A-Fella: Oyster bettered in Magic Dust and fried, placed on a bed of creamed spinach, finished with Old Bay Lemon Aioli

Potato Skins: La Ratte Potato fried and tossed with Bacon Powder, filled with Scallion Foam, garnished with a Chedder Crisp.

PIGS IN A BLANKET- Hosin Pork Belly, Pickles, Steamed Bun

Pigs In A Blanket: Steamed Bun filled with seared Pork Belly, Hosin sauce, Sriracha, garnished with a pickle.

Scooby Snacks: “Chex Mix”, Mexican Chocolate

Hopefully I get pictures from the party. The food came out beautifully. The menu was Chefs Watson's.

thanx doods. i'm workin on it.

made jamaican curry chicken last night.

but my chick cayn't eat the wheat so the

most important ingredient was left out...

my stepfather woulda bitch slapped me.

51T4v6eGnEL.jpg

hada use this bullshit as a substitute.

Curry-Powderashx.jpg

anybody else in here have a significant other with this wheat/gluten allergy bullshit problem...?(not really bullshit. serious binness)

it can really be a fuckin drag sometimes. but i don't sweat it too much.

Not everyone that eats meat is getting it from the sources you are sighting in your rant. .

so this was for me?

that three liner was hardly a rant. it's an opinion with some facts.

oh and i used the word fucking. scary.

so not every single person is using a factory farm, but the vast majority of people who consume meat do in fact get it from them, that is why they exist. after all, this is hundreds of millions of people. i see from your update that you are in oz, but yes, it's a completely different situation here and in many other parts of the world. we currently decimate the brazilian rainforest for mcdonald's beef, for example (sold worldwide)

AOD, i cannot stand watching youtube vids. sorry. i am also educated on this matter, and since i don't eat meat and never will eat meat again, it doesn't interest me all that much to find out about this guy's take on the whole situation.

Nightmare

i can sympathize.

i don't have a wheat problem but i cannot fuck with whey or lactose. it makes most packaged foods a pain to eat, literally. Joker has a massive wheat problem, i wish he still came on the boards as i'd ask what his new favorite foods are. i know that wheat/gluten free is becoming popular but it's still so expensive. good for you for modifying the recipe

i have had really good luck substituting soy milk in many recipes. yeah, i get a bitch slap, but it's almost as good with no pain.

have you looked into it on the net? there seem to be a lot of resources for recipes and food products.

RUSO

nice. i havenb't made a soufflee in years. but lemon? dunno.

Simply being a vegetarian does not make a person any healthier than anyone else. In my opinion it takes more effort to be a healthy vegetarian than a healthy omnivore because you need to put more thought into your meal plan to get proper nutrition.

Morbidly obese vegans used to trip me out, getting all up and righteous about their diet when they are weighing in at 400.

The freezer I got the gf for Christmas has been working out well. Stocked with Coq au Vin, Cassoulet, Egyptian Lentil soup, two types of Dall, Greek Lasagna, three types of cookies, two types of muffins. In reserve ingredients I got two steaks, one pound ground beef, one chicken, some thighs, two pounds shrimp.

All home cooked, all pasture raised except the shrimp.

mister blunt

contribute something to the thread or gtfo

seriously, why just come in here to be an asshole..

RUSO i love choc soufflees, they are the only ones i've ever made.

lemon is too strong a flavor for me, except lemon meringue pie.

damn morton. egyptian lentil soup sounds great

i need a good recipe for making fuul.

my man got good bread out of the trader joe's dumpster last night

hahaha

the baguettes were getting a little stale so i made a ton of crostini to go with potato stew/soup

delish

yes! thanks, the first is best, no milk!

i bought cream of tartar awhile back, thinking i'd use it, but haven't yet..

that cooks illustrated have a fuul recipe?

or just a good way to prepare fava beans?

does anyone know about these things? do they have to be shelled? i know i did something wrong last time..

damn.

c'mon suns.

someone tell me how to prepare fuul.

What you need

four cups (about two pounds) dry small fava beans (broad beans or pink beans)

one-half cup split red lentils, washed, rinsed, and cleaned (optional)

one or two ripe tomatoes, chopped (optional)

one onion, chopped (optional)

four cloves garlic, crushed (optional)

one teaspoon ground coriander (optional)

one teaspoon cumin

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper, to taste

ground cayenne pepper or red pepper, to taste

one handful fresh cilantro, parsley, or mint leaves, chopped

one bunch green onions (white part and some of the green part), chopped

four hard-boiled eggs

What you do

Wash and rinse fava beans and soak them, covered with cold water, for an entire day (to have fool in the evening, soak the beans from early one morning until the same time the next morning, then cook). Drain and rinse before cooking.

In a large pot, bring fourteen cups (three and one-half times the amount of beans) water to a boil. Add beans and lentils. Boil for several minutes. Skim any foam off top. Reduce heat and simmer. Add the optional tomato and onion (if desired -- or they can be added after the beans are cooked). Cover (and do not uncover) and simmer over very low heat for eight hours. After eight hours, check for dryness. If beans are dry, add boiling water (not cold water) as necessary. Cook another two to three hours, until beans are very tender.

Mash beans with potato masher or ricer. Stir in garlic, tomatoes and onions (as desired), coriander, cumin, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer and stir for a few minutes more.

Place serving-sized portions into bowls. Garnish to your liking with cilantro (or parsley, or mint) leaves, green onion, and sliced hard-boiled egg. Serve warm with warmed pita bread. (Can be stored in the 'fridge and re-heated.)

The beans can also be cooked in an ovenproof casserole dish: Place the soaked beans in the dish, add boiling water, cover, and place in medium-hot oven.

i did this once, but the skins from the favas were tough.

dunno, something is wrong.

*edit. maybe i am using the wrong type of fava? says up there pink beans?

:confused:

fresh basil pasta for 8-10 people

take 2 cups of basil leaves off of the stems and set aside.

get a food processor or blender and combine basil, 4 eggs, a teaspoon of salt, and a tablespoon of olive oil and then mix until liquefied.

pour 4 cups flour into a mixing bowl. create an indent in the flour to pour the egg and basil mixture.

gradually fold the egg mixture into the flour and then mix it with your hands until the mixture "feels right". if it needs more flour or liquid, add it as needed.

the consistency should be moist, but not wet,

take the dough ball and wrap it in a towel soaked with warm water. this allows the dough to set, about 10 minutes.

lightly flour your work area and get your rolling pin or pasta machine out.

roll to desired thickness and cut to desired shape.

boil in water for 1-2 minutes and serve with whatever sauce you want.

*if this is to be cooked at a later date, refridgerate or freeze the COMPLETELY DRY pasta to keep from developing bacteria from the eggs. the pasta should be completely dry or it will stick together and suck.

for examples of results see the pooperthread. you can also do this with other herbs and vegetables as well. tomatoes work well and give the pasta a nice pinkish hue but be careful because they do add extra liquid to the recipe. enjoy motherfuckers.

thanx doods. i'm workin on it.

made jamaican curry chicken last night.

but my chick cayn't eat the wheat so the

most important ingredient was left out...

my stepfather woulda bitch slapped me.

51T4v6eGnEL.jpg

hada use this bullshit as a substitute.

Curry-Powderashx.jpg

anybody else in here have a significant other with this wheat/gluten allergy bullshit problem...?(not really bullshit. serious binness)

it can really be a fuckin drag sometimes. but i don't sweat it too much.

Curry town for the win!

My mother was recently diagnosed with celiac disease (can't process gluten). I need to buy her a gluten free cook book, because just from your post I realised a LOT of things gots the glute in them...even curry pastes/powders!?

Anyway, here's a NON-gluten-free (yummy) recipe for freaking awesome muffins, nice and crusty on top (ignore hand written notes up top):

Definately try replacing blueberries with WHITE CHOC AND RASPBERRIES ;)

img0958n.jpg

I used to live in Japan which had a lot of very nice Italian restaurants so I got used to some very nice dishes. I was for some reason addicted to carbonara, which isn't easy to find here in New England, and whenever I did find a place that had it, it was shit. So after trying many recipes I finally melded some together to something I like. Now I'm not a great cook and I don't frequent this thread so forgive me if there is already a recipe for this.

Spaceman Carbonara for one.

Linguine or fettuccine noodles

Bacon, pancetta, or a slab of bacon cut into about 1 inch squares by 2 inches long

Clove of garlic, minced

Little bit of oil, I like avacado

Medium size handful of grated parm cheese.

Very little asiago cheese

Very little cheddar cheese

One whole egg plus another egg yolk

About 2 tablespoons of heavy cream

Red pepper flakes

First I start boiling the water then put the oil, bacon and garlic into a frying pan set to about medium low heat, tossing when needed. While pasta and meat are cooking I prepare the cheeses and eggs. I usually just grate the cheese on the same plate I'm going to eat with and beat the egg and egg yolk in a glass/jar.

The meat should be finished before the pasta, so take it off the burner to let it cool down A LITTLE. There should be some oil/grease, but not so much that the garlic is swimming in it. Once pasta is done, I put it into the frying pan with the meat and garlic. NOTE: The frying pan should still be very warm, just not sizzling hot.

I toss the pasta making sure it's all coated with the oil, then add the egg. If the pan is still too hot the egg will start to cook and that's what you don't want. You just want it so the pasta is steaming hot. After the egg is in, thoroughly mix the pasta.

Gradually add in the cheese, I usually put enough just to cover the the top then mix it and repeat. Now the cheese should be melted, but there shouldn't be any solid bits of egg in it.

Add the heavy cream to get it to be a little bit creamier, mix again and add a slight dusting of red pepper flakes.

This isn't supposed to be something super fancy, I usually make it when I don't really know what I want to eat.

I would be glad of any suggestions for improvement.

when i made that^ at a restaurant when i was a cook, we'd add grilled chicken to the top

sometimes i'd also chop up sundried tomatoes and throw it in there.

i don't eat meat anymore and can't have heavy cream so i can't do many cream sauces on pasta

i will however, break out the soy milk as a substitute on this recipe for baked mac and cheese

so good. and of course, you can use regular milk.

it's pretty easy to make, and when you are reducing the milk you don't have to be too careful about adding it gradually, i get impatient and end up dumping a lot of it in at once.

COLD WEATHER COMFORT

HOMEMADE BAKED MAC N CHEESE

Salt

2 1/2 cups milk (low-fat is fine)

2 bay leaves

1 pound elbow, shell, ziti, or other cut pasta

4 tablespoons (1/2stick) butter

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

11/2cups grated cheese, like sharp cheddar or Emmental

1 /2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Freshly ground black pepper

1 /2cup or more bread crumbs, preferably fresh

1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it.

2. Heat the milk with the bay leaves in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When small bubbles appear along the sides, about 5 minutes later, turn off the heat and let stand. Cook the pasta in the boiling water to the point where you would still think it needed another minute or two to become tender. Drain it, rinse it quickly to stop the cooking, and put it in a large bowl.

*SHORTCUT: throw the milk in a measuring cup with the leaves and microwave it for about 3 minutes on high

3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter; when it is foamy, add the flour and cook, stirring, until the mixture browns, about 4 minutes. Remove the bay leaves from the milk and add about 1/4cup of the milk to the hot flour mixture, stirring with a wire whisk all the while. As soon as the mixture becomes smooth, add a little more milk, and continue to do so until all the milk is used up and the mixture is thick and smooth. Add the cheddar or Emmental and stir.

4. Pour the sauce over the pasta, toss in the Parmesan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to grease a 9 ×13-inch or like-size baking pan and turn the pasta mixture into it. (You can make the dish to this point, cover, and refrigerate for up to a day; return to room temperature before proceeding.) Top liberally with bread crumbs and bake until bubbling and the crumbs turn brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve piping hot.

*experiment with other kinds of cheese, like gouda or goat cheese

i like the cheddar version so much that's how i always make it but you can use most anything that melts easily

*i also use a smaller pan for it, so i reduce pretty much everything in the recipe by 1/3

leftovers of this stuff are GREAT

White Bean Chicken Chili.

Boil 1-2 chicken breasts for about 40-45 minutes - shread

In a dutch oven add:

1 jar of white navy beans-drained

1 carton chicken stock

1 small onion chopped

1 jar of salsa

1-2 shredded cooked chicken breast

At first it will look really watery but bring to a boil,

reduce to a simmer and let simmer, stirring often, for a bout 2-3 hours

It will thicken up! Yum!