Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

The mark up on cereal is better than the one on dope.

Tonight was a quick dinner, sometimes I like to throw the rice cooker on and see if I can prep, cook and plate right as the rice gets done. I fail at this challenge allot more often since hooking up with my gf, who worked in restaurants for year, and has got me cooking at lower temperatures on the stove top.

Anyway, the point of this post is to sing the praises of those "Curry Simmer Sauces" that are out there. The one I used tonight was from trader joes but I have used others and to tell the truth they really all taste quite similar to me.

What I did was as follows.

-Start rice in rice cooker.

-Wash and chop one head of cauliflower, four carrots, one zucchini (this is what I had around to use up)

-Throw the above in a pan with a jar of curry simmer sauce along with a can of garbanzo beans, med heat, with lid.

-Dredge halibut in flour and fry in butter.

-Plate.

Was just fine and about as easy as it gets.

^GBM putting five pounds of bacon in a burger. :D

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy Pickled Jalapeno

(in the style of nacho slices)

-Slice enough jalapenos to fill jar.

-Fill 3/4 jar with distilled white vinegar, 5% acidic or above.

-Fill 1/4 remaining with water to top.

-Add 1tsp-1tbsp salt

-Pour liquid from jar into sauce pan and bring to a boil.

sfx81y.jpg

-Add jalapenos, bring to a boil. Let jalapenos boil for about 20 seconds (just before all bright green has disappeared), remove from heat and immediately transfer everything back to jar.

al6seh.jpg

- If liquid doesnt completely cover like^ add more vinegar. Gently tighten lid, not to tight yet.

-Now is when they say to boil jar in water for 10-15 minutes, I don't so prepare at your own risk.

-Let cool on counter top, when almost to room temperature firmly tighten lid, for best results place in fridge for at least 2 weeks before use.

^I am going to try that, I also want to make pickled red onion.

Yesterday was a big prep day, had to break down about 8 onions. While it may not be the "cool" thing to do I learned that if a person wears swimming goggles while slicing and dicing onions they do not tear up.

made some awesome veggie stir fry last night. super easy.

oil in pan,

add shallots and onion and garlic.

add broccoli, carrots, whatever other veggies you have lying around.

cook.

add soy sauce (or trader joes soyaki sauce. its the shit)

add black pepper

add sesame oil

enjoy

word. good stuff peoples.

i'd love to learn more about canning, seeing the pickling up there made me think of it

and summer is coming soon.

anyone know about that? i have mason jars but that's about it.

those jalapeños look delicious.

just made spicy Chinese cucumber salad.

Eating it as I type.

2 large cucumbers

1 and a half cloves of garlic

1 birds eye chilli

salt

pepper

sugar

fish sauce

soy

rice vinegar

deseed and chop cucumber... Dry it out a bit.

chop 1 clove of garlic and chilli fine, then fry in sesame oil for about 30 seconds (do not burn garlic)

pour chilli, garlic and leftover oil over cucumbers.

crush remaining garlic and dump it over cucumber.

Add s & p, then soy and a tiny drop of fish sauce.

Chill in fridge for ten minutes.

Eat.

Cool and hot at the same time!

On the easy and authentic chinese tip, Take some soy sauce, dried red chili peppers, cilantro, sesame oil and copped garlic (optional) and msg (optional). Makes a nice dipping sauce for fried things like wan ton wrappers filled with garlic, spinach and mushrooms. fried and fried.

Had another big cooking day on Monday. Lamb Stew, Osso Bucco, Ragu, Baked Ziti, Baked Shells, Meat Loaf, Lentil Soup, Brocoli Soup, Spanakopita Pie, Bolgonese Sauce.

Having the extra freezer makes it possible to do like weeks worth of cooking over a weekend and then just heat, garnish and serve.

word. good stuff peoples.

i'd love to learn more about canning, seeing the pickling up there made me think of it

and summer is coming soon.

anyone know about that? i have mason jars but that's about it.

those jalapeños look delicious.

Canning's actually really simple, albeit a bunch of work. It basically breaks down to making sure your jars are sterilized (boil them) and then doing what dude said above. With fruit it's usually a simple sugar you add instead of vinegar.

Nah, it's easy. If I remember correctly you used to bake or something professionally and if you can handle that this will be a piece of cake. ha.

I remember when I was a kid my mom would have a garden and pickle cucumbers, etc. from that as well as buy cases of fruit from the grocery store and go on two week long canning sprees that would supply us with canned fruit and picked veg for the entire winter. Canned BC peaches ftw.

i was out in a really nice part of b.c. this summer called the okanagan. theres a few cities that fall under this region, kelowna/penticton/osoyoos etc etc etc. really is an unreal area coming from the coast. bout 4hr drive, worth every second.

anyways thats where all the winerys are and a huge portion of apples and other shit like that come from orchards as far as you can see.

i grabbed a fuckload of stuff to can but i dunno if its cause it was organic or nearing the end of the season cause it went bad hella quick. i went out n grabbed a shit ton of canning stuff and its sittin in my closet.

straight goods tho i brought back all kinds of hybrid varieties of vegetables etc i aint never seen or heard of.

^I am going to try that, I also want to make pickled red onion.

Im gonna pickle red onion tomorrow, I'll fiill you in on how it goes.

Yesterday was a big prep day, had to break down about 8 onions. While it may not be the "cool" thing to do I learned that if a person wears swimming goggles while slicing and dicing onions they do not tear up.

I used to have to julienne about 30 pounds of yellow onion daily, at first it kind of sucked but I got used to it within a couple days.

i made roasted garlic pasta sheets for the lasagna we made for a dinner party.

-chop about a 1/2" off the top of couple whole cloves of garlic

-dip whole clove in olive oil (i added a bit of truffle cus that shit's hella good)

-bake in oven on sheet pan for 40 mins. at 350 or so

-remove garlic peel

-add roasted garlic and four eggs to a blender/ food processor and liquefy

-combine 2 cups semolina flour and 1 cup white flour in a bowl

-mix egg mixture and flour until the desired consistency is attained (add water or flour as needed)

-roll into sheets with pasta machine or rolling pin and cut to desired shape

it has a slight roasted garlic flavor and adds something extra to the pasta dish without adding too much salt to the cooking water. i plan on trying the recipe with roasted red pepper to add some color as well.

I made more of those chocolate chip cookies that I posted a while back, half were with out chips, only pecans and they're pretty good, just omitted the chips and used a light brown sugar instead of dark. I stopped drinking alcohol 7 mo. ago so I eat a lot of fucking cookies.

RUSO those look good but i hate nuts in dessert. i used some mini chips over the weekend, love them.

i also worked on developing a recipe for pastry cream using soy milk instead of real milk. i can hear julia child turning over in her grave but it's coming along really well, maybe a little tweek and it'll be set

pad thai.

i've made the "how to Cook Everything" version twice, maybe thrice. it's good. i've also had to use the ketchup instead of tamarind and i felt weird doing it but it really works. also made it with and without tofu and peanuts for my picky man. ..and had to substitute other peppers but whatever's hot works.

Pad Thai

Makes 4 servings

Time: 30 minutes

Easy to make at home-easier than you thought, I'm sure-and better than most pad Thai you've had in restaurants. Just make sure you have everything on hand and prepared before you start stir-frying, because it goes pretty fast once the heat is on.

12 ounces dried flat rice noodles, 1/4 inch thick

5 tablespoons peanut or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn

3 eggs, lightly beaten

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 ounces small shrimp, peeled

4 ounces pressed tofu, or extra-firm tofu, blotted dry, sliced

2 scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths

1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed and trimmed

2 tablespoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)

2 teaspoons tamarind paste or ketchup

2 teaspoons sugar

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

2 small fresh green chiles, preferably Thai, seeded and sliced (optional)

1 lime, cut into wedges

1. Put the noodles in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover. Soak until softened, at least 15 minutes; if you want to hold them a little longer, drain them, fill the bowl with cold water, and return the noodles to the bowl.

2. Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the eggs and scramble quickly for the first minute or so with a fork almost flat against the bottom of the pan; you're aiming for a thin egg crêpe of sorts, one with the smallest curd you can achieve. Cook just until set and transfer the crêpe to a cutting board. Cut into 1/4-inch strips and set aside.

3. Raise the heat to high and add the remaining oil. When hot, add the garlic and shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp lose their raw gray color, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate next to the stove. Add the tofu, scallions, and half of the bean sprouts to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to the plate with the shrimp.

4. Put the drained noodles, eggs, nam pla, tamarind, and sugar in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are heated through, then add the stir-fried tofu mixture. Toss once or twice and transfer the contents of the pan to a serving platter. Top with the peanuts, cilantro, chiles, and remaining bean sprouts. Serve with the lime wedges.

Vegetarian Pad Thai.

Omit the shrimp and increase the tofu to 8 ounces. Substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce.

Archived