Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done that blue cheese sauce and it's money.

Tried something new today, no flicks though.

1 Red or Yukon potato shredded with excessive liquid removed.

1 Avacado(mashed up with salt and garlic) basic guacamole. You can make it fancier if you want.

1 poached egg

Some cilantro

So form your shredded potato into a pancake. Salt it up and cook on both sides til its nice and crispy brown. Spread the gauc on the pancake and then top with the poached egg. Salt and pepper to taste and throw some cilantro over the top. Some hot sauce also goes well.

Real simple real good.

For dinner last night I made twice baked potatoes with spinach, bacon, sour cream, assiago (sp) cheese along with tenderloin steaks topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms all of which turned out quite well.

What was more noteworthy about the meal is that I poached the asparagus which I found to be a very pleasant preparation. Five minutes (just until tender) in simmering water with some lemon juice, pull and dunk in ice bath to stop cooking, chill and dress with a vinaigrette, I skipped the vinaigrette and just used olive oil, lemon juice, s and p.

Looking to make beanless chili to use as a hot dog topping for an event this weekend. I want the consistency of the meat to be extra fine like in the filling for a deep fried beef burrito from taco time.

Input would be appreciated.

I've done that blue cheese sauce and it's money.

Tried something new today, no flicks though.

1 Red or Yukon potato shredded with excessive liquid removed.

1 Avacado(mashed up with salt and garlic) basic guacamole. You can make it fancier if you want.

1 poached egg

Some cilantro

So form your shredded potato into a pancake. Salt it up and cook on both sides til its nice and crispy brown. Spread the gauc on the pancake and then top with the poached egg. Salt and pepper to taste and throw some cilantro over the top. Some hot sauce also goes well.

Real simple real good.

5933618005_2823c2b5af_z.jpg

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!

This contest will run all week until Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

Click on any advertiser(non-12oz. paint shop ad) check out what the advertiser has to offer and while you are there

Take a screen grab on any page within the advertisers site and get 2 free weeks.

Each screen grab has to be from a different advertiser per day, you can only submit 2 screen grab ads per day, giving you 1 free month a day you participate. Thats 3 months if you send in 2 submissions a day until Friday.

Send me your screen grabs via Private message, we will update your account nightly. Please make sure you submit correctly, we will not reply back to submissions that are wrong.

DON'T send us your old screen shots from previous contests. We have them saved and will reference back to avoid schemers. We also know what ads are running, some have ended and some new ones have been dropped into rotation....

Enjoy…

This contest will run all week until Friday - July 15th, 2011 .. 6 p.m. EST

SUPPORT OUR ADVERTISERS!!!!!!

WIN FREE MONTHS OF 12OZ. VIP STATUS

been on a healthy baking binge lately so i can satisfy my insatiable sweet tooth without turning into the blueberry chick from willy wonka. got down 3 great cookie recipies so far- all with whole wheat flour, no white sugar, no fat (applesauce is agreat substitute!) and two have just egg whites. munching on the deliciously soft gingersnaps right now- might make the oatmeal raisins today. the chocolate chip cookies are dank as fuck too.

next step- healthy muffins or breakfast breads maybe. or cakes.

i honestly cant taste the difference in any of my recipes- promise. and wheat if so much better for you than white.

chocolate chip cookie recipe:

* 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats (not instant)

* 1 cup of whole wheat flour

* 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

* 1/4 teaspoon of salt

* 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

* 3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar

* 1 large egg

* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

* 3/4 cup of chocolate chips

blend flour, baking soda, salt

melt butter and let cool

add to brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract

add flour mixture and oats

add chocolate chips

bake 9-11 mins @ 350

this one is the least "healthy", still a little bit of butter and then the chocolate chips. but its a lot healthier than most choc chip cookie recipes and its damn tasty

you could do the sub applesauce thing for the butter too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey im cooking tonight for a new lady friend and im undecided with what to have as a side.. help me decide what i should cook tonite.. will be doing the majority of it on the grill

should it be

A. steak with corn on the cob and cucumber salad

B. steak, stuffed peppers(rice and cheese), salad

C steak, _______, and _______

thanks.

i may try to cook up down sydromes rib eye n blue cheese dish just bc it looks so fucking good..

jalapenos with cream cheese n bacon.. yuuuuuuummmmmmm

may not look to pretty, but its quick and cronic

breakfast.jpg

breakfast burrito

scrambled cheese eggs

chili pepper(i got the one in the tube)

bacon bits

sour cream

salt and pepper

Add ALOT more bacon, minus the sour cream and add some baked beans and thats my daily breakfast. Also a nice big glass of assorted fruit juice.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to attempt fried chicken for the first time. Anyone have any hints, tips or must try recipes?

8e3e235b-1.jpg

I made that yesterday. Vanilla sponge with home made strawberry jam filling topped with white chocolate butter cream and shavings of white Belgian chocolate.

^yumz.

are you breading it?

i'd assume so.. light and crispy is great so if you can get your hands on those japanese bread crumbs use those. cornflakes are also great. (and of course, you'd be dredging it in egg as well.)

make sure the oil is HOT before you add the food to cook.

this is the number one mistake people make when frying food.

if you don't have a food thermometer or a fryer, i'd get a thermometer so you can be certain you're at least at 350˚F [175˚C]

otherwise the food soaks up the oil rather being cooked in it

then drain well on paper towels.

i was never a big chicken fan at all.

my mom though, she made these 'chicken patties' which were chicken breast with seasoning blended in the food processor. she'd dredge the patties in crushed cornflakes and fry them.. they were the only chicken dish i ever loved.

Thank you lovely girl!

I was gonna bread it yeah, I found a few recipes online which recommended potato flakes but I'll definitely have a look for those japanese breadcrumbs. I'm gonna put the chicken in buter milk later to soak over night, I read brine is good to soak in but I didn't quite like the idea of that. I have a fryer so I'm good on temps. I like to make tempura so I know how important a high temp is. I also read that if you add a celery stick to the fryer it gives the chicken a good colour. I can't see how that works but I'll have a go and let you know.

Those chicken patties sound awesome! I might have a go at those too. I make a pretty mean fish cake but it had never occurred to me to try it with chicken.

Oh and..."You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to !@#$% again." I shan't forget though.

haha ;) never heard that about the celery.. nice.

btw, i looked it up, the bread crumbs that chefs love are called 'panko'

oh gosh i loved those chikpatties, that's what she called em.

i forget what i ate them with, it's been 20 years :(

i think ketchup (i am american haha) and amybe we also tried ranch dressing and bbq sauce.. all good.

flour+old bay+s&p

dredge chicken

fry in 50/50 butter and olive oil

medium or a little lower than medium heat

cook chicken

remove chicken, drain most grease, leaving the bits and a little grease

add flour to absorb grease, toast a little to get out flour taste

slowly add chicken stock mixing constantly with wisk, adding a bit at a time

once enough has been added that it changes consistency you can add more at a time, still wisking

add some milk at the end if you are southern and there is your gravy

serve over rice, long grain white rice

Archived