Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

a lot of fine dining restaurants in town here have spin off bistros next door here which have amazing food. this was one places take on a bacon cheeseburger: kobe beef burger with foie gras bacon (i forget what the cheese was), hand cut fries and house made mayo.

everyone should check out places like this where they live. its a good way to get really good food for relatively cheap prices.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scallops Nagé

mise en place:

4 Diver Scallops

2 cups Clam Juice

1 Leek bottom

2 Roma/Plum tomatoes

1 sprig Dill

Lemon Oil

Pernod/Anisette

Lemon Juice

Salt

Pepper

method:

This dish is a no brainer. Its so easy to pull off, you can practically toss off while you're preping it.

Clean your Scallops and with a sharp knife, make paper thin (or close to) cuts through the shellfish. Season and store them in the fridge till you're ready to plate.

For prep on your concasse, cut off the ends of your tomatoes and dump them into a pot of boiling water for around 1 minute or until the skin has loosened from the flesh. Remove tomatoes and place them directly into an ice-bath. Once cool, remove the skin and Julienne the tomatoes as thin as possible. Do the same with the Leek bottoms, cutting thin strips length wise. Blanch these in the already boiling water and remove into another ice bath.

In a pot, bring Clam Juice to a hard boil. Almost to the point where its about to start reducing. In a bowl, evenly layer Scallops. Pour boiling Clam Juice into the bowl. The heat from the boiling juice will cook the Scallops.

Garnish with Julienne Concasse, Leeks and Dill. Drizzle Pernod, Lemon Oil and Lemon juice on top.

roadpig --i highly recommend trying that out. they marinated it in dr.pepper over night, then cooked it over an open wood burning fire in my buddy's backyard. they didn't cook it all the way through, they just seared it over the open fire, then i think they cooked it the rest of the way the next night. that dude can kill it in a kitchen, and he's got the medals to prove it. i told him if he does another one this christmas, i'm coming back to visit just for that.

finally got to take a proper look at that tasting menu. quality stuff.

I usually hit ch.0 from my phone, so images don't always flow right.

that's some shit, though. your boys 70% blind and still cranks out dishes? very humbling. I once worked with a deaf mute sous chef when I was coming up. really hard to communicate with him and understand exactly what he wanted, but the kids vision of cuisine was inspiring, to say the least.

food is so much about the senses. taste and smell, mostly. but sight plays a big part, obviously. we eat with our eyes, as they say.

eh... its my one-day-off-a-week tomorrow, so I'l post up some more shit then

dr. pepper marinated strip steak...

me and my boy used to work together at this restaurant, and we ran steak strips marinated in root beer as a special one night. neither of us ate meat at the time (he does now), but it was selling like crazy, so it must have been pretty good.

we also ran a steak stir-fry one night, the steak was marinated in grand marnier. again, sold pretty well.

• 1 month later...

ok, so I'm marinating a pork tenderloin right now int the following:

soy sauce,

olive oil,

couple cloves of garlic,

teaspoon or 2 of cumin,

juice of 1 lime,

black pepper

I'll be serving it w/ rice, zucchini, and squash (maybe carrots, too).

I'm kind of limited in my acidity sources. All i have is balsamic vin. and apples.

Options:

-dress up the balsamic for the veggies (i've done this w/ veggies and lima beans... turned out pretty well) and BROIL the tenderloin.

-BRAISE the tenderloin in one of the following sauce forms:

-balsamic w/ garlic, jalapeño and honey

-some sort of honey mustard (this doesn't seem like it'd be that great)

-some sort of brandy based sauce?

any ideas? I'm open for the next hour or 2.

payce

Made some stuffed chicken breasts the other night - came out dope. Here is a rundown.

Take 6 chicken breasts - flatten those fuckers out a bit or slice in half.

Place on cookie type sheet with foil underneath.

Grab a pan and throw it on the stove.

Add a handful or so of fresh spinach, mushrooms, and a bit of olive oil.

Let it just barely wither.

Take that shit and put it in a bowl -

add a spoonful of sour cream, handful of fresh ramano, and a handful of shredded pepper jack. Mix it all up.

Place that mixture into each chicken breast and roll them up. use a toothpick to hold it if needed. take two strips of vacation per chicken breast and wrap them aroudn the chicken.

place in over at 400 for about 45 mintes.

eat the fuck out of it.

Pasta is pretty standard and easy to play with, you are going to want to step up your game with a

dope salad served along side of dinner, It's a simple extra step that a ladie will notice.

So lets get stared!

This is the definitive Spaghetti side salad:

Bitter Greens Salad:

4 cups (about 2 bundles) arugula leaves, coarsely chopped

1 1/2 cups (about 1 bundle) watercress leaves, coarsely chopped

1 head Radicchio lettuce, coarsely chopped

1 large lemon

Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat, 2 to 3 tablespoons

Coarse salt and black pepper

Oil cured black olives, for garnish, optional

Combine greens in a salad bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the bowl. Drizzle salad

liberally with extra virgin olive oil. Toss salad and season salad with salt and pepper. Arrange

salad on plates. Garnish plates with black olives, if using in the pasta.

Since you have jar sauces you are a few alterations away from "Pasta Puttanesca" aka Bad Girl Pasta.

Pasta Puttanesca

1 cup of the Fire Roasted Tomato Garlic

8 ounces of your pasta

1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1/4 cup pitted chopped black olives

2 tablespoons capers

3/4 cup chopped fresh arugula

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

If you don't want to pick up all this the Capers and Parsley can take a walk, bu the fresh

vegitable a for sure what will land the second date or the Sexo tonight

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the directions on the

package. While the pasta is cooking, heat the sauce in a large skillet over a medium flame

saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the parsley, olives, capers, simmer for about

5 minutes. Stir in the arugula and simmer for 1 minute more, until the greens wilt slightly.

This will allow for a fresh tasting sauce ol' girl will swoon for.

When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the skillet, tossing it with the sauce to combine. Serve along with grated cheese.

HISTORY LESSON AND CONVERSATION POINTS

This sauce's name translates to "bad girl". In Italy ladies would place pots of it in their windows to tempt men into the bordellos.

I better receive some invite points for this. Don't forget you condoms.:cool:

a lot of fine dining restaurants in town here have spin off bistros next door here which have amazing food. this was one places take on a bacon cheeseburger: kobe beef burger with foie gras bacon (i forget what the cheese was), hand cut fries and house made mayo.

everyone should check out places like this where they live. its a good way to get really good food for relatively cheap prices.

kobe beef burgers are a waste of top notch beef. it urks me that people actually pay 100 bucks for some gourmet burger. shits crazy to me. i think that grinding that beef up for a burg should be against the law. period.

I got the slammin' BBQ tandoori jump-off.

First you need to find an indian spot that sells indian spices. and get the Shan brand BBQ tandoori spice. Plain yogurt and some chicken. Mix the spice with the yogurt and marinate.

keep some on the side to add while grilling and do the thing.

If you like it spicy, trust me....Hot to death.

kobe beef burgers are a waste of top notch beef. it urks me that people actually pay 100 bucks for some gourmet burger. shits crazy to me. i think that grinding that beef up for a burg should be against the law. period.

i hear that real kobe beef from japan is rasied on a special fram where they are given massages a couple times a day in warm sake and feed the finest grains and even given beer. i hope i die and come back as a kobe cow.:)

my next dish, it's vegan friendly as well.. and MADD GOOD!

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1 1/2 cups cooked small red beans

1 1/2 cups vegetable broth

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

1/2 cup water

1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained

3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter

3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts

6 lime wedges

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.

Place onion mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.

Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew. Top with peanuts; serve with lime wedges.

made this last night came out pretty good. the description is a little long winded.

new york strip with pomegranate-balsamic reduction sauce

1 tbs. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

16 oz. new york strip

1 tbs. olive oil

the juice of one pomegranate (learn how to dejuice a pomegranate)

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced

the night before:

i'm a big believer in seasoning red meat the night before. it makes a huge difference in the flavor, so the night before, mix up the first four ingredients and season liberally over both sides of the steak. refrigerate overnight, leaving plenty of time for the seasonings to seep into the steak.

the day of:

take the steak out of the fridge about an hour before cooking to give it plenty of time to rise to room temperature. for thicker steaks, cook's illustrated has found a great trick for ensuring the perfect medium-rare center. before searing, place the steak on a wired rack and heat to 95 degrees in a 275 degree oven.

in a stainless steel pan (anything non-stick will prevent searing), heat the pan over medium-high heat. add olive oil and place steak into center of the pan. once the steak touches the pan, leave it alone and just let the heat do its job and create a juicy crust. after about 1 and a half minutes, flip and do the same to the other side. remove from pan and cover with two layers of foil to let the residual heat cook the meat some more.

take the pan off the heat and add pomegranate juice and balsamic vinegar. lower the heat to medium and place pan back onto heat. the liquids will deglaze the pans of all the brown bits that have formed from the searing process. these bits are packed with intense meaty flavor, so make sure to scrape them all up, incorporating them into your sauce. the sauce will reach an active boil and as some of the liquids evaporate away, you'll see the sauce start to thicken. once it's reduce by a third (meaning about a third of the liquid has evaporated), add the red onions. cook for about 2 minutes, which is just enough time to soften the onions a bit and infuse them with the flavor of the sauce while still leaving some crunch.

that's some shit, though. your boys 70% blind and still cranks out dishes? very humbling.

sorry, i just saw this now doc. yeah, he lost his vision in a fight with diabetes. the fucking kid is insane man. he goes blind, comes back from 100% blind, loses all vision in one eye, most of his vision in the other, and after 20 surgeries in one year and a prosthetic lens in his eye, can finally see well out of his remaining eye. then after a year of working at the best members club in town, his head chef quits for another job. so the management basically shits on him because of his handicap, and he had to look for another gig. they did some shady fucking shit to him, and it was a real bad scene. but the dude doesn't want to create drama, so he moved on to another gig which he's doing really well at --and is respected.

sidenote --before the prosthetic lens was put in, he said it was like looking through a cloudy lens. it would be as if someone smeared whip cream on your glasses, and when you wiped it off, the residue was still on there, making shit foggy. so this dude was working with conditions like that as well as no peripheral vision. and i'll tell you this, he could skate better than most people on this site, probably, with the same conditions. seriously man, the fucking kid is a machine. he's one of those people that just inspires you all the time. really good people.

• 2 weeks later...
yo to the yo

don't sleep on PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

a delicious and easy alternative to the ol pumpkin pie

here's a copy/paste of the cheesecake factory recipe since i'm limited on time today

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

5 tablespoons butter -- melted

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

24 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup canned pumpkin

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make the crust by combining the graham

cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl.

Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as

to turn the mixture into paste. Keep it crumbly. Press the crumbs onto the

bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of a springform pan. You

don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of

cheesecake. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set it aside until you are ready

to fill it. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and

vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs,

cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.

Pour the filling into the pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. The top will turn a

bit darker at this point. Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

When the cheesecake has chilled, remove the pan sides and cut the cake into 8

equal pieces. Use dental floss to make a clean cut hahahaha!! whatevers.. Serve with a generous portion of whipped cream on top.

• 1 month later...

i know i asked this question a while back and i don't remember the answer. i did a search for it but i can't seem to find it.

can anyone recommend a quality and affordable electric rice steamer/cooker??

i am trying to make an effort to eat cheap and healthy, so i think one of these would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

Chicken Masaman Curry with jasmine rice

1-1/2 lbs of chicken legs (with skin and bone)

1 can (18.5oz) coconut milk (for cooking)

1 can Masaman curry paste

1/2 onion, chopped

2 to 3 medium sized potatoes

This is the way I cook this dish; I tend to deviate from traditional recipes and skip adding roasted peanuts.

It's relatively easy.

-In a large pan, simmer half the can of coconut milk mixed with the curry paste.

-Cut the (thawed) chicken legs up into manageable pieces, but not too small. Leave the bone in. Add chicken pieces and cover the pan, cooking on low heat.

*I tend to freeze my chicken because I don't prepare same day. I boil the legs before and adding to the coconut milk and paste mixture.

*I found that leaving the bone in adds a better flavor to the meat, and also gives the curry mixture a subtle brothy taste. As for the skin, you can remove it or keep it.

-Boil those taters. I boil them whole, then cut them into quarters. The skin comes off easily this way and they also don't fall apart before adding them to the curry as they would if you peeled them before boiling.

-Chop the onion, about half. I use yellow or white onion.

-Uncover large pan and smell that aroma. Place lid back on pan when senses are satisfied.

-Now, chuck in your quartered potatoes and chopped onion. Also, pour in the remaining coconut milk from the can. Give the mixture a good stir with a wooden spoon. I like using wooden spoon.

-Cover pan, keep it on low heat, and check on it periodically. The longer it cooks on low heat, the much tender the chicken and the more the flavor cooks in.

-Prepare the jasmine rice. Prepare however much you want. I always boil my rice because I am without a rice steamer. If you have a steamer, it's much better. I find that boiled rice 'dilutes' the curry, just a little bit.

-When everything is nice and hot, and the onions are becoming transparent, you just might be ready to eat. Serve the curry over the jasmine rice and it's time to masticate.

*If you like your stuff spicy, use some red chilis. Chopped, diced, ground, halved, whatever. I don't add any spiciness to mine because it's meant to be a mild, semi-sweet dish.

Archived