News Not Fit to Print

mr.yuck

4 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

The story didn't specify, but I made the assumption that they bought the cans at scrap prices in Arizona and then just trucked that shit across the border to get the higher value refund price. Personally, I never understood California's  recycling system to be a built in cost of the product that's redeemable later. I just thought the higher value paid was an incentive to recycle program. I thought this was just smart business.

In true crossfire style I skipped reading anything and assumed they had somehow diverted the comodity from the recycle pipeline in AZ. Buying scrap and collecting the refund is much more likely now that I see it spelled out.

In Mexico the system is to re-use the bottles and the deposit is significant, much better imo.

• Truth 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
6 minutes ago, morton said:

In Mexico the system is to re-use the bottles and the deposit is significant, much better imo.

The last time I was down town, I think the place is across the street from pendulum meats, I went into a refill store. Bring your own container and get a refill on shampoo, hand soap, detergent, what ever. Keeps trash from being produced in the first place. I wish there were more of that business model out here.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

4 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

you'd think a good criminal would catch on after the first million or two and cover their tracks lol

They are, that's what the prosecution is doing to scare off the competition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grim540 said:

I worked at an aluminum die cast plant for a few years and we had a dude that was stealing 25 pound ingots and hoarding them. A few years later he showed up at a scrap yard with a trailer full of them and was surprised that he got arrested.

True.  Scrap yards know their biz. Ingots were the first red flag in that one.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ndv said:

True.  Scrap yards know their biz. Ingots were the first red flag in that one.  

Yeah no shit. The guy was stealing them for years so he was at least patient. Didn't think too hard about the cashing out part of the plan.

Edited by grim540
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1

5 minutes ago, grim540 said:

Yeah no shit. The guy was stealing them for years so he was at least patient. Didn't think too hard about the cashing out part of this plan.

There was an incident in Dallas where someone stole a semi truck full of aluminum sheets.  Drove the truck down to Houston to cash in on the load but the scrap yard is well know and a city staple it didn't work well.  The guy ran off and police were trying to find who it was. 

It was about 300k worth of aluminum.

Edited by ndv
  • LOL! 2

6 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

The last time I was down town, I think the place is across the street from pendulum meats, I went into a refill store. Bring your own container and get a refill on shampoo, hand soap, detergent, what ever. Keeps trash from being produced in the first place. I wish there were more of that business model out here.

When I used to work downtown Pendulum sandwiches were my jam. That concept for refilling shit sounds cool as well.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

Just now, grim540 said:

When I used to work downtown Pendulum sandwiches were my jam. That concept for refilling shit sounds cool as well.

Yooo. They make the best Cubano I think I've ever had. And their fries with that garlic aioli? Fuck outta here. I wish I lived closer.

5 hours ago, LUGR said:

^Exposing predatory business practices is news fit to print imo.

I agree, But I didn't hear anything about this in the media.  Stumbled across the article when I googled their interest rate as I didn't see it stated in the fine print from some stupid flyer they mass mailed me.  

So I thought I would share here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 8:37 PM, Schnitzel said:

All bullshit aside I heard it mentioned as like a throw away comment by Mike Pence while he was being questioned about something else.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:33 AM, mr.yuck said:

All bullshit aside I heard it mentioned as like a throw away comment by Mike Pence while he was being questioned about something else.

it's front page news here at least in the murdoch papers.

Today is the day they pick the referendum date to vote on an indigenous voice to parliament.

he wants to take attention off it since the party he backs is anti it.

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, Schnitzel said:

it's front page news here at least in the murdoch papers.

Today is the day they pick the referendum date to vote on an indigenous voice to parliament.

he wants to take attention off it since the party he backs is anti it.

Oh wow. So it's literally the same bullshit tactics everywhere.

• Truth 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

The wheels are about to fall off of china. They better start building boats.

I keep hearing they are not doing well economically.  Things are get worse.  But never checked out the info, nor take it for face value.  

What's up with china, they spend all their money on fuax islands?

6 minutes ago, ndv said:

I keep hearing they are not doing well economically.  Things are get worse.  But never checked out the info, nor take it for face value.  

What's up with china, they spend all their money on fuax islands?

From what I understand, they tried to copy our financial structuring and investment strategies in real estate but at triple the scale. Their crash is gonna be wild. If we crash at the same time, shits gonna be stupid wild.

• Truth 1

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

From what I understand, they tried to copy our financial structuring and investment strategies in real estate but at triple the scale. Their crash is gonna be wild. If we crash at the same time, shits gonna be stupid wild.

You know, years ago I was watching some conference (a bunch of military and economic professionals).  A guy speaking said something like this, "all you have to do is stamp top secret on the envelope, leave it on the stairs at a Chinese building and they will adopt it immediately".  

So, my thing is if they mimicked our financial structuring and financial strategies in real estate triple the scale.  Those credit default swaps are gonna be an intense 2008 for the CCP.