One Man Banned

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

I wonder if putting a desiccant pack in bottles would help long term with the life of the paper inside.

Desiccants are so negative, you need dessiccans.  Not for me, but interesting idea. 

Looking at some people's finds the other day I thought it was interesting how well they held up with not much more than a cork in the bottle.  A lot do get wet, but a lot do appear untouched by water.  I also saw one that was a Grolsch bottle that had also been sealed with wax.  Not sure how much or how it started out, but it looked like some of the wax had melted away, assuming they had fully covered the bottle top with it to begin with.  Mine are usually shut, taped, then sealed with wax, although I ditched the tape on the last few.

Thought just occurred to me- air tags.  Don't know enough about them to know if they would fit, work, how long, etc., but possibly a way to track a bottle for a moment.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, One Man Banned said:

Desiccants are so negative, you need dessiccans.  Not for me, but interesting idea. 

Looking at some people's finds the other day I thought it was interesting how well they held up with not much more than a cork in the bottle.  A lot do get wet, but a lot do appear untouched by water.  I also saw one that was a Grolsch bottle that had also been sealed with wax.  Not sure how much or how it started out, but it looked like some of the wax had melted away, assuming they had fully covered the bottle top with it to begin with.  Mine are usually shut, taped, then sealed with wax, although I ditched the tape on the last few.

Thought just occurred to me- air tags.  Don't know enough about them to know if they would fit, work, how long, etc., but possibly a way to track a bottle for a moment.

Airtags wouldn't work as they are dependent upon being in close proximity to internet signal producing devices, which isn't a likely scenario on the open ocean. 

I left one at My Great grandparents gavesite in one of the flower holdees so it would be easy to find should I go back to visit next time I am in tbe area, yet I think someone grabbed it as it hasn't shown up on FindMy for a while, so save your money instead.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone watched My recent video whereby I discarded My recently cutoff hair that was in a ponytail such that it could become a "seahorse" and ride the tides of the ocean, I would credit this thread as being perhaps the main inspiration of inspiring such a creative seed.

Also in having failed to have cast away the photos I wished to send as per the voodoo doll type mermaid/siren in said event, I respect those who are able to have cast a bottle out suxh that it doesn't end up back on the shore as My photos did just after casting it into the blue.

You could have sent out a lock of your hair in a bottle.  It's found in the future and your DNA is used to make a Mauler Terrorbot that destroys New Zealand because why not?

But yeah, one of my first attempts either exploded on below surface rocks or was smashed upon the rocks, with the sea spending the next several hours spitting its pieces and contents back onto the shore for me to gather.  Shit happens.

• LOL! 1

IMG_6544.thumb.JPG.336f4947a0ad7078604dfa489866b4ad.JPG

IMG_6548.thumb.JPG.48c34c91933b7904c1684b0c89ac3c76.JPG

Like yesterday's attempt.  Decided to say fuck it and go with the hand I was dealt- super calm seas with an outgoing tide.  It looked like I pitched the bottle far enough to get past the shore current but nope.  I saw the bottle staying close to shore and fished it out at the next cove to try another day when I could get it out to sea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ko SprueOne said:

@One Man BannedHave you ever tried using any type of trebuchet to launch the bottle beyond the surf? I know we had a brief discussion on 'cheating' with the MIAB releasing methods.  

Tre-boo-what??  I don't think I'd consider that cheating because you're still launching from shore, but it would be some work to build something like that.  Plus having to make one that can be transported off grid and back, seems like a lot.  Interesting thought though, I like.

4 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Tre-boo-what??  I don't think I'd consider that cheating because you're still launching from shore, but it would be some work to build something like that.  Plus having to make one that can be transported off grid and back, seems like a lot.  Interesting thought though, I like.

True, I guess it depends on complexity and size [hah yeah yeah].

Ok so your discipline in the MIAB game is, cast only from shore or attached structure to shore such as a pier, dock, warf, jetty, buoy, etc. by hand or some sort of sling device as @Fist 666describes above? Not allowed to release a MIAB from any boat or vessel while underway or making way that has not been made fast to any shore structure? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ko SprueOne said:

True, I guess it depends on complexity and size [hah yeah yeah].

Ok so your discipline in the MIAB game is, cast only from shore or attached structure to shore such as a pier, dock, warf, jetty, buoy, etc. by hand or some sort of sling device as @Fist 666describes above? Not allowed to release a MIAB from any boat or vessel while underway or making way that has not been made fast to any shore structure? 

If I were out on a boat where people didn't care or I could get away with it I probably would, but it's less my interest.  Not quite cheating since it's still a drop in the ocean, but you are gaining more control over the circumstances maybe, like choosing your location and the currents available there.  I'm more trying to go shore to shore, just see where things go or how far they can go.  

The areas I've been doing this from so far, I'm just there against the open ocean, there are no piers/docks/wharfs.  The nearest ones are in a harbor, would be more challenging because the bottle would have to survive boat traffic, make it out of the harbor, and past the shore currents.  I've been thinking about some river ones where I might go out on a RR bridge to get over the water but I also know some dock locations I might pitch from.

Some sort of slingshot/catapult contraption could be cool for sure, although my first thought went to some fantasy of launching coconuts over the ocean and shooting them down.  Definitely better for when I'm on private and/or secluded property.  I don't know that you would necessarily get in trouble for throwing a bottle in the ocean but there might be places where it's prohibited.  I generally make sure I'm unseen so I don't have to answer questions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ko SprueOne said:

Nice finds. I'll find one piece, maybe, and always wonder if this was from a MIAB or just some drunk fcks misplacing their beer or 7-Up

Or something older.  I try to find blue or red glass for the bottles.  You don't see it as much, it's older, and kind of desirable to sea glass collectors.  Hopefully an enticement to open a bottle vs throw it away. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 3:36 AM, One Man Banned said:

Or something older.  I try to find blue or red glass for the bottles.  You don't see it as much, it's older, and kind of desirable to sea glass collectors.  Hopefully an enticement to open a bottle vs throw it away. 

Blue and red is older, good to know, I didn't know that. I always just went by how much wear to the glass there was determined the age. Completely smoothed edges meant it has been in the sea shore a longer time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...