This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

@Dirty_habiTprepare your angus

looks like things are getting even worse

mass exodus out of Cali right now. 

Austin and Atlanta bout to get overrun. 

BC766D8B-E91A-431C-9782-FC08DCBA4DEE.gif

I’m still planning on Idaho as an exit plan after an early retirement. 

lil cabin house. On a lake. Mountains pon da background. Trees all over. Seasons. Weather. Shoot guns off my back porch. 

c’mon now. 

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/article/2020-San-Francisco-exodus-is-real-and-historic-15484785.php

8FA092B7-6625-468E-A85A-0A8ED4250602.thumb.jpeg.207c1c6bd44f3d58ecb79f44bd8c4053.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

Disclaimer, I don't hate you if you're from CA automatically.... I just have a strong propensity to as soon as you start telling me anything that starts off with, "well back in california, this is how we did this.... ______________."  Or, if you don't integrate into our society here.... that YOU CHOSE TO MOVE TO AND JOIN.  Change your plate to Texas

We get that a lot here too-

“out here___________”

”back home _______”

how bout just “HERE” 

people fall into that a lot I think. Not just Cali folk. Would imagine folk in Eurasian and Aussies got the same complaint about ex-pats. 

our plates are expensive man!! DMV costs here are high as fuck. Like $200-500 for registration. Why wouldn’t they wait til that tag runs out to re-up? Lol

so many plates from out of state here too. We always hate on the AZ plates. “Fucking Zonies”

• LOL! 2

Ha, you're good people man.  My main worry is that the lessons won't be learned about what caused California's ruin.

In your opinion, as someone that has been living there..... what do you think has been the top 5 (or 3, whatever) main contributors to this mass exodus.... and think a few steps deeper than what I would say everyone is thinking.  Aka, "people are leaving because housing is expensive."  Ok.... but WHY is housing expensive?  That's what I'm talking about.  I'd like to hear your perspective on a few of the points you can make about it from someone that's been there first hand.

Thank you.  😄 @KILZ FILLZ

• Like 1

@Dirty_habiThad this exact convo w my barber yesterday 

I think it’s because people are being allowed to telework due to Covid. that salary will go so much further in other states. That graph above shows SF with the crazy graph... most of that city is tech industry. I doubt most of them will ever return to a cubicle setting. 

taking an SF salary and moving to Tennessee opens up the possibility of having a spouse stay at home to take care of the kids while also allowing a home with property. 

i think this current boom is directly related to teleworking employees being able to leave. 

• Like 1

Let’s see if I can get a couple more since you asked for 3-5. It will pretty much all be from the perspective of my city though

this is a military town. There isn’t really anyone still living here that was born here. When we meet each other it’s a whole thing because it’s so rare. My main circle of friends is all people who cane here from Atlanta. I only keep in touch with maybe less than five friends from high school.. and one of them just moved to TX for a promotion funny enough. 

so- people come here in the military. Get out of the military. Move ‘back home’ when they begin to have kids.

Or stay, buy a home with pre-approved VA home loans with 0% down and drive up the housing market. Vets can have more than one of these pre-approved 0% down home loans too so you end up with landlords jacking rent up so they can make their mortgage payments while also reducing the amount of homes for sale on the market. A lot of guys with 2+ houses in the system. 

Other side of that - people who grew up here leave for college and never come back. All the time. 

or- people who grew up here join the military and get stationed somewhere else and never come back. Again, all the time. 

Retirees - leave CA for states with lower/zero taxes so their pensions and SS go further. Arizona, Nevada and Florida huge for this. States where instead of taxes you pay toll roads. If you’re retired an not commuting to work you’re not going to be using those toll roads. So it’s a huge win. This is the case with Florida 

people looking to buy a home- want space between them and their neighbors. Acreage. Not an option here for the most part. Suburbs, apartments, and condos have everyone stacked up on each other. Having a yard and space between houses is incredibly sexy. 

a lot of it is tied to housing more than laws or political views I think

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Interesting perspective, that makes a lot of sense and I think you're right about working from home.  Funny enough, my new job is with a company that is in San Francisco that I will likely never see the office of in person.

How do you think this "no old blood" in CA thing helps or hurts CA?  The way you described it makes it sound like nobody tends to stick around there long term so the place is comprised largely of people that are there for between 0-20 years or something like that.  Sorry if I didn't read between the lines correctly there.

In TX there are several people with very large family owned ranches.  I want to own ~40acres or so and I'm currently shopping for that.  My biggest fear is that I will do all this work, one day I will have kids, and I will give it all to them.... and they won't appreciate the hard work I went through to get that stuff.  I'd hate to be turning over in my grave as my grand children split up the ranch, sold the tractors, and moved into tiny spots in the city..... almost like they'd be completely ignorant of the opportunity they have/had.  Anyway, no need to be sentimental about a part of life that hasn't happened yet.  I've got to get the land first.

• Like 1

I can only really speak for myself and my city, but yeah it’s definitely full of transplants and the ‘no old blood’ thing is definitely true. I guess other states are just feeling what CA locals have been feeling for years now. I would also bet a good chunk of the people you see driving around with CA plates aren’t originally from here either. 

overall I think the people coming from other areas is good. I’m not a poli-sci or econ guy though so my viewpoint is going to be pretty limited. I think the diversity is good and don’t really mind it. Making friends with someone who grew up in places other than here is a nice spice of life type thing. It opened up doors for me to go to their city and immediately have an ‘in’ with a group of locals I otherwise wouldn’t. The only parts that gets me is when people litter at the beach or on hikes.

If it’s someone moving here from Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Cleveland, they may not even know we don’t like that shit and  that littering is not ok, But then it’s up to their friends they make here to correct them on that and teach them why. I would hope that someone from a place like Detroit who moves here and gets to enjoy the beach and enjoy the mountains would take away an understanding of why those places are important and have an appreciation of them they wouldn’t get from a magazine or movie. Then they would understand why keeping those spaces as pristine as possible is important. The zoo here could fill the same role. Get someone in there that had never seen a panda or tiger in real life and let them leave with an understanding of how beautiful these animals are and how important it is to keep them around.

Then I would hope the transplants would take these experiences and gained perspective with them throughout the rest of their life when they return to the Detroit’s, Pittsburgh’s and Baltimore’s of the world and share those things with their friends and family who haven’t had the epiphany. Who knows if any of that happens.. but I would say it’s fair to believe it does, to some degree. I’ve seen the shift in perspective within friends I’ve made who aren’t from here so I know it happens sometimes. 

people from NY bring the delis here, people from NE bring the chowder and lobster rolls, people from cold climate bring their love of hockey and fill the seats that allow San Diego to have a hockey team, which I enjoy. but those same people move here with their own sports teams they love. They aren’t going to vote for an increase in their taxes to pay for a new Chargers stadium if they’re a cowboys fan. It sucks, but I understand it, and that’s just democracy. 

Being a military town we also get a lot of international  transplants who get their citizenship by serving in the Navy or their parents/grandparents got here that way. very large Japanese population here so tons of sushi. Very large Philippino population here so tons of lumpia and pancit. Very large Viet population here so tons of pho. It’s fuckin awesome if you’re down with new foods. We can pass Ethiopian, Cuban, Salvadoran and “San diegan” restaurants or bars on a walk of just a couple blocks. We can hit a Brazilian dance club and an English pub in a few blocks. It’s great. 

People will always want to move here because of the beaches and sunshine. And for every 1 person leaving the state I’m sure there are 3 on their way in. Is what it is and ain’t gonna change anytime soon. 

I mean it does suck not having that group of friends I’ve known my whole life. And friends whose younger siblings and parents I know because we go back to grade school. It definitely sucked as a kid losing friends each new school year because kids just never come back to school when the summer is over because their folks left the state. It’s for sure made me a lot better with accepting people come and go though your life and the people around you today may not be around you tomorrow. And it may seem cold that I have ability move on from friends so easily, or it may seem like I don’t really care to get to know people well, or I don’t let people get to know me very well. But that could be a strength too. Not getting torn up because someone is moving on with their life isn’t always bad.

i don’t think I will ever get sick of making fun of people wearing their socks in the sand at the beach though lol @Dirty_habiT

• LOL! 1

Lol that's pretty hilarious @KILZ FILLZ-- the socks in the sand thing.  People do that?  They're animals!

I feel the same way about Texas.  We have "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign that has been around for as long as I can remember.  It basically is a lot of commercials and road signs that say the slogan and it means no littering.  I'm sure anyone can be crotchety about where they are from, I think Austin, TX used to be "better" than it is now, but thinking about it makes me realize that likely every generation in all of ever has said the same thing about where ever they are.

Austin, TX sucks now, and it pains me to say that, because of the influx of people.  The city used to be pretty liberal, in the good sense.... you know hippies at the green belt hanging out, no littering, people smoking weed at the creek with no worries, etc.  It felt very "Texan" to go down in the woods where people were hanging out, clean as if it were your own land that everyone shared together.  Now the city is pretty "woke" in a not good sense.  There are a lot of people from "more woke" places coming here and they make it feel like they're cramming a new religion down your throat.  We're seeing it all over the place in the big cities on the news, this is EXPN Wokeness going on right now.

People from here don't even really like to go down to some of the "good places" in the Green Belt anymore, or downtown.  There's glass bottles, diapers, cheetos bags, heroine needles, and shit head gangster type assholes down there passin out on molly and whatever else it is they do now.  You can't tell who is in a gang or who is homeless in the woods anymore.  It's really fucking stupid and Austin used to not have these types of people here.... it was just nice people of all flavors, not this bullshit leeching scum type fuckos that don't contribute to society.

If you're cool come over, if you suck stay where you are.  Unfortunately there's no way to enforce a rule like that.

• Like 1

@Dirty_habiTstarting tmrw I’m back on a Nokia 3310 dumb phone to break the smart phone addiction

i have a friend who moved to a town along a river between Houston and Austin  (I think) and I’ll be trying to visit him once travel restrictions are lifted. 

would love to meet you and hang, first rounds on me, if your open to that. 

my laptop is a POS and I don’t really have interest in dropping the money for a new one. Maybe I will to the Ubuntu thing and login to oontz to BS. Who knows. 

so. I probably won’t be around much for a while. 

but, if I make it my way to TX i will login to DM you or reach out on Skype. If you’d rather stay anonymous no hard feeling man I totally get it. Deuces. ✌️ ✌️ 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really ironic, it's one of the main reasons that I became clued into the ridiculousness that is california.  They started coming here doing californian shit on the highway.

What other kinds of smart shit you got to say today @abrasivesaint?

Austin is already done as far as I'm concerned.  Now that my work is 100% done from home, I will be executing my plan of getting out of this city.

Don't worry, if you haven't been here or lived here, you'll love it.  There are dogs in restaurants, hippies, bird scooters, and parks.  If you like cool things, you should move to Austin, TX because it's definitely really cool.

• Props 1

On 9/2/2020 at 12:45 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

@Dirty_habiTstarting tmrw I’m back on a Nokia 3310 dumb phone to break the smart phone addiction

i have a friend who moved to a town along a river between Houston and Austin  (I think) and I’ll be trying to visit him once travel restrictions are lifted. 

would love to meet you and hang, first rounds on me, if your open to that. 

my laptop is a POS and I don’t really have interest in dropping the money for a new one. Maybe I will to the Ubuntu thing and login to oontz to BS. Who knows. 

so. I probably won’t be around much for a while. 

but, if I make it my way to TX i will login to DM you or reach out on Skype. If you’d rather stay anonymous no hard feeling man I totally get it. Deuces. ✌️ ✌️ 

Nah man we can go do some kind of redneck shit.... I've already determined you're cool brother.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

What other kinds of smart shit you got to say today @abrasivesaint?

I wasn’t being a smart ass in an intentional dickhead sort of way, i genuinely thought it was hilarious that you have this thread bitching about California and Joe Rogan is out there telling millions of people how Austin is the place to be and trying to get every Californian he knows to move there. 

edit: I’ve been to Austin. Almost moved there about 10 years ago. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 1

There is/was nothing special about Austin geography-wise.... it was the Texans that made it what it was.  In time, the people that migrated here thinking it was so cool will find that it feels strangely familiar like the place they left.  Everyone I know that grew up here has no interest in living in Austin anymore because of the influx of special olympics mother fuckers moving here because they went to a music fest one time here and thought it was cool.

• Truth 1

1 minute ago, Dirty_habiT said:

There is/was nothing special about Austin geography-wise.... it was the Texans that made it what it was.  In time, the people that migrated here thinking it was so cool will find that it feels strangely familiar like the place they left.  Everyone I know that grew up here has no interest in living in Austin anymore because of the influx of special olympics mother fuckers moving here because they went to a music fest one time here and thought it was cool.

You pretty much just summed up Austin.  I know keep Ausin weird. But you're right, it has become a little to weird. 

• Like 1

It's cool but not for the reasons people think it is.

* It's not "affordable" like people think it is.  Yes it's cheaper when you compare to somewhere much more expensive or some of the most expensive places to live in the world/USA, but if you're intention is to get here and buy something big for cheap, it's too late.  People have already done it, the deals are gone.  The investors are on top of this shit and they're in this city like stink on shit.... and I don't mean baby dick investors from Boston, I'm talking like the Arab mother fuckers with oil money got a grip here.

* The "attraction" of outdoors activities is not what it used to be.  Everywhere you could go that would be cool to go is too crowded to enjoy.  There is litter all over the place in places that there was not before, when I moved here.  The places that were enjoyable to be at, are not anymore.  It's not because there are people there, there were always people there.  It's because after some year in the mid 2000s there was constantly "too many" people at places.  I'm referring to outdoor hangout spots in the greenbelt, and swimming holes that are public.  This place becoming crowded has completely fucked up the enjoyable things to do outdoors here.  You can still do them, but expect it to feel like you're at a theme park, except without rules.... because there will be drunk ass holes, kids screaming, off leash dogs, and glass bottles broken at the places that used to be spotless EVERY time you went there.

* The growth has caused a major problem for the VERY poor highway design in Austin.  I'll explain it, simply, for those that haven't been here and aren't familiar.  There are two north/south thoroughfares.  They are the only two "fast" ways to cross the river that runs east/west in downtown Austin.  Sounds great, right?  Well, it's not really because it creates two bottlenecks for traffic.  Everyone that lives south of the river and works north of the river must squeeze through those 3 lanes that go their direction in the afternoon to go home.  Same thing in the morning, going the other way.  The suburbs north and south of this river are growing ridiculously fast and there is NO GOOD solution for the bottleneck.  City planners and civil engineers have been discussing this issue for over a decade now and there are no good plans to fix it.  Move here if you want to sit in shit traffic, no the world isn't going to adopt tesla's fast enough for it to matter in your lifetime.

* If you don't already live somewhere even close to remotely "hot", I wouldn't consider living here.  We don't get "seasons" like you're thinking, it is almost never snowing or icey here.  You won't get to skip work in the winter time because you got bad weather or whatever it is people up north do.... being late or whatever every day to drive through shit snow traffic, whatever.  It's frequently above 105 here in the summer.  That's no bullshit.  If you have some shitty shit box car with barely working a/c you're going to roast your gooch off while you're sitting in the bingo bongo traffic for an hour to go 5 miles from your house to work.  So you can park all of your heavy jackets and snow boots before moving here too.... because you won't need them, ever.

* The pussies have made it here and started doing stupid stuff like trying to destroy American history by changing the names of streets and the like.  I hope they wore their soft underwear so they're at least comfortable while they're doing "the hard work".  The city is inundated with people that aren't from here and it's very obvious that they're not.  It's not that they don't belong, it's just that people in Texas, generally, have a certain type of hospitality about them.  It's easy to recognize if you're familiar with it and easy to miss if you're not from here.  Anyone can learn and it has a lot to do with manners.  Unfortunately most mother fuckers don't know what manners is.  Forget even attempting to explain etiquette.

There's five reasons why Austin isn't a place that people think it is.

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

wow!  Good read. I haven't been to Austin for about 20 years.  You pretty much just updated me what has happened in the past 20 years.  Its really unfortunate to hear, but I am not necessarily surprised Austin has come to this.  

You're totally right about the mideast oil money buying up real estate.  I wonder if that may have something to do with the city the way its has come to know.  I mean you're right there is a certain hospitality Texans have and buying up real estate to sell to a bunch of douche bags isnt one of them.  Makes sense though, who else would fall for a real estate pump and dump scheme?  Out of state d-bags, that's who!  

Anyhow,  as for the weather,  I think you just described 90% of Texas.  However, it could be worse and it could be 104°F and 80% Humidity also known as Houston.  And yes, that is a problem.   

• Like 1

Also, don't forget, all you funny mother fuckers that want to move here after quoting that dumb ass cult classic movie, that you don't have horns.  Don't forget that, when you move here to shit all over the great city of Austin, TX and deface the Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jr. statue on town lake, God bless his soul, you don't have horns.

Don't forget that pinche payasos.

• Like 1

I don't live in Texas, but it's an increasingly common trend where people leave someplace because it has gotten unaffordable, or they don't like the policies of that place... then, they move to a new place in droves, and try to change that place into the place they left. They do this by voting for the same policies that got their original home city/state into the situation that it's in, and go with the, "In ______, we did things this way" whenever a new idea is brought up to them.

I'd consider myself a moderate I guess. Debatable topic, but there needs to be a good balance of everything. You can help people to an extent, but you can't let them walk on you, either. We see the same shit here in Miami, except it's the opposite way around. We have a lot of immigrants from communist countries like Cuba and Venezuela, that see anything slightly progressive as "socialism" and will vote red just because they're afraid of what they saw in the past, and essentially are still voting for that country instead of voting for the US. Actual working public transportation that requires tax dollars? Socialism. Wearing a mask so we can get out of this fucking pandemic sooner than later? Socialism.

But those same people are more than happy to go get those free COVID tests, and more than happy to take those stimulus checks.

Before I hijack the thread too much, I had the displeasure of visiting SF last year; luckily, I didn't pay for it. But that place was a total shithole, honestly. Only place I've ever seen people openly smoking crack and shooting dope on the sidewalk. I would like to share this wonderful view that I had while drinking a coffee one morning. Yes, I'm aware this was in the TL. But I saw the same behavior downtown, too. Russian Hill was the only neighborhood where this behavior wasn't so plentiful.

20191015_092611.jpg

Edited by Kalashnikov
  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1

That is something I do not understand as well.  I was thinking about it in regards to California becoming so exspensive to live.  I am guessing it sounds nice to have a home valued at 3 million but its another thing when household income can't afford taxes on a 3mil home.  Of course there's more to this topic than home value.   @Kalashnikov it truly beats me.  Its something I find interesting but am dumbfounded by cognitive social economics of common wealth.  Thats if 'cognitive social economics' even makes sense, but then again the issue at hand doesn't make any sense.

You see where this is going the whole thing has got me making no sense.  

I guess its the classic insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results?  🤷‍♂️

Lawsuit Challenging California “Assault Weapon” Ban Moves Forward; Federal Judge Denies California’s Motion to Dismiss

SAN DIEGO (September 23, 2020) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) announced that Southern District of California Federal District Court Judge Roger T. Benitez has issued an order denying the State of California’s partial motion to dismiss in the case of Miller, et al. v. California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, et al., an FPC-led federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of California’s “assault weapons” ban on common semi-automatic firearms. The Court’s order is available online at AssaultWeaponLawsuit.com.

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/miller-aw-case-motion-to-dismiss-denied
  • Props 1

• 4 weeks later...