It's no secret that Californians have been moving to other parts of the country.  This, particularly has hit Austin, TX pretty hard IMO.  Some people don't care, but I'm not one of those.  My fear is that these are naive people that fell for political tactics and politicians that have done greedy things in the state.... and now that the state is effectively ruined in terms of many things, people are leaving in droves.

The bone I have to pick is that the Californians that have landed here have, for the most part, absolutely shit attitudes towards Texas, the environment, and Texans in general.

Texas is a place where men hold the door for women, it always has been.  We take pride in ownership of things, we work hard for what we have rather than hold our hands out asking others to provide for us.  We teach our young boys how to be young men and our young girls how to be ladies. 

We've seen a major uptick in the past 6 years in the homeless population here.  I see CA license plates all the time, all over town.  This didn't used to be a thing, but now it's a thing.  These two things seemed to have happened at the same time.  I also see a lot of REALLY SHITTY homemade campers on the back of junky ass pickup trucks with CA plates.  You can tell people are living out of their trucks over here and not registering their cars with TX plates.  I don't know what the benefit of it is, but it's happening.

My new neighbor came directly from CA.  I still have not met my "neighbor" but she has left probably 2 bags worth of trash, unbagged, on the curb.  Like, I don't fucking know what they do in CA but in Texas we have "don't mess with Texas."  It's a no littering campaign, you know.... because we understand the "don't shit where you sleep" rule in life.

Disclaimer, I don't hate you if you're from CA automatically.... I just have a strong propensity to as soon as you start telling me anything that starts off with, "well back in california, this is how we did this.... ______________."  Or, if you don't integrate into our society here.... that YOU CHOSE TO MOVE TO AND JOIN.  Change your plate to Texas, shut up about CA, don't complain about our produce, and throw your trash in a can.... also stop acting like such a pussy and that things are owed to you or others must do things to appease you, if not, then please..... go fuck yourself.

how-to-deal-with-people-from-california-

Anyway, the whole point of me starting this thread was this:

What do you all that live there think of these new laws?

p.s. I really don't dislike you guys, anyone on this forum from anywhere.... just looking to gain some insight from those that may know the other side of this better than I do.

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

They're disgusted by feces all over the streets but fail to acknowledge their liberal policies are what brought that on. Instead of reevaluating themselves and their views on policy they move to another state and carry on as usual, hoping to transform this new area to their progressive liking.

Idiots.

• Like 1

Austin as i know it is a large transplant city due to the music scene is it not? I actually almost moved there in the early 2010s. I however generally assimilate to a place to a degree or in the very least don’t expect them to handle things the same way i do. 

Living in California just isnt sustainable if you’re not a millionaire. A lot of places are beginning to be this way and people are scattering. Pricing is going up and pay mostly is not. Whether you agree or not fact of the matter is billionaires don't need endless sums of money, your average person needs more than they have, and everyone wants more than they need. 

Greed And gluttony baby. The American way. 

• Truth 1

49 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Living in California just isnt sustainable if you’re not a millionaire. A lot of places are beginning to be this way and people are scattering. Pricing is going up and pay mostly is not. Whether you agree or not fact of the matter is billionaires don't need endless sums of money, your average person needs more than they have, and everyone wants more than they need. 

Greed And gluttony baby. The American way. 

So are you think they should just decide to work for free at certain point or no longer accept any more money cause they have enough? Or are you suggesting the government seize their income / assets after a certain point for the greater good? Just trying to understand where you're going with the thought, if you'd like to expand on it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

Living in California just isnt sustainable if you’re not a millionaire.

Nailed it right here.  What I hope to get insight on is how they got there.... in the situation where the middle class has basically been douched out.

What exactly happened?  I have a good idea of what happened but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak.  I have no first hand experience with CA at all, although I have a sister and an uncle that both live there.  CA wasn't always a place where only the wealthy could survive, so what happened to change that exactly?

What can other cities do to avoid becoming a wasteland?

What can CA do to recover it's middle class and undo the INSANE homeless encampments?

I realize my initial post was inflammatory but this "problem" that has been "brought" to Austin is inflaming.

@abrasivesaint- Austin is a music town, considered "the music capital of the world."  I don't know exactly what you mean by "transplant city" but it's definitely a city that is considered liberal.  I think that is maybe what makes it attractive?  I dunno.  All I know is that I seriously want to gtfo of this city because it's changed drastically with the new growth.

1 minute ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Nailed it right here.  What I hope to get insight on is how they got there.... in the situation where the middle class has basically been douched out.

What exactly happened?  I have a good idea of what happened but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak.  I have no first hand experience with CA at all, although I have a sister and an uncle that both live there.  CA wasn't always a place where only the wealthy could survive, so what happened to change that exactly?

What can CA do to recover it's middle class and undo the INSANE homeless encampments?

I realize my initial post was inflammatory but this "problem" that has been "brought" to Austin is inflaming.

@abrasivesaint- Austin is a music town, considered "the music capital of the world."  I don't know exactly what you mean by "transplant city" but it's definitely a city that is considered liberal.  I think that is maybe what makes it attractive?  I dunno.  All I know is that I seriously want to gtfo of this city because it's changed drastically with the new growth.

This deserves a more thoughtful comment than I'm qualified or have time for, but despite the clear mismanagement of the state, you also can't deny the weather, ocean, heritage and vistas as something that is more desirable than the average. Coupled with a fair amount of American industry and ingenuity, as well as Hollywood, it became a very attractive place for a lot of people. I would suspect a fair amount pf property there is just owners thinking something along the lines of... Well my view is as good as Malibu's, so therefore my property should be priced in the ballpark of it. Probably a time when there was plenty of space, but now that its congested from one end of the coast top the other, for the most part, you have people capable of qualifying that line of thinking.

That doesn't account for shit holes like Fresno, Sacramento, etc, but it's certainly why places like Oakland will always be desirable to investors to turn around when it hits rock bottom due to massive mismanagement and poor policy as it recently has.

Just another perspective on the subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

So are you think they should just decide to work for free at certain point or no longer accept any more money cause they have enough? Or are you suggesting the government seize their income / assets after a certain point for the greater good? Just trying to understand where you're going with the thought, if you'd like to expand on it.

The immature punk rock teenager in me says “yes take it from them,” the realist adult in me says “no that is theft.” I wasn’t making a case for either argument in the post, just pointing it out. I won’t sit here and lie to myself though like every billionaire or millionaire is deserving of that money and that some haven’t gained it in less than honorable means, so, ya, maybe take some of it it from someone. But that ends up in the hands of a court room and that requires allocating money into the community properly which also rarely happens. So what the fucks the difference?

If I were a billionaire i like to think i would live comfortably and disperse the money in a way i thought would actually benefit the community, i could end up just like anyone else and not do that, but i like to think my values would hold their ground in fairy tale land. 

Greed is a bitch and many people think they’d save the world, their community, their families, until they have the resources and just buy a bigger house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

This is an issue in most major cities. Seattle has crazy homeless, New Orleans, Denver’s Civic Center park is absolutely overrun during the day and the neighborhoods get flooded with them at night time when the cops roll through the park at dusk and boot them. I mean take your pick of a city and there’s a shit load of homeless folk.. It hasn’t gotten any better. They’re just not shitting on the sidewalk like apparently they do in SF with impunity. I don’t know if this is true and honestly don't care to try to look it up right now, haha, but i’ve heard this a couple places but most famously on the Joe Rogan Experience, that some places bought homeless in their towns one way tickets to places like Seattle and California due to their acceptance, hence the influx. Again, don’t know if thats true or not. Sounds fake, ha. 

1 hour ago, Dirty_habiT said:

By transplant i just meant people from everywhere just move there for the music scene. I don’t think it’s the liberalness as most big cities get flooded with liberal ideology, i think it’s mainly the music. That’s what enticed me back when, besides just getting out of where i lived. 

• Like 1

I did, at one time, enjoy the music scene here, but I think it's a lot different and it's like anything else now.  It's VERY flooded with people that are trying to make it big.  It's just like the tech industry here.  If you post a job req for tech people you will get absolutely flooded with people wanting to interview, 98% of them not qualified but they're still sweaty try hards.  I believe the music scene is very similar, there's probably a ton of mediocrity out there.

I, too, have heard the busing of homeless to certain places is a thing that happens.  Honestly, what I'd love to see happen is for this to be proven and the places that did it be held liable for the amount of effort and resources spent "taking care of" these people that don't seem to get on their feet ...... ever.  I'll take some pictures next time I'm out of the homeless camps that are close to my house, they'd make you puke.  Just today I noticed on I-35 in south Austin.... where there is a large encampment they had probably 60 or so shopping carts, all parked in a "block" shape on the dirt.... and all of them were full of stuff.  It's like they created a shopping cart parking lot.

The home owners in most of the areas where the homeless have made encampments have reported thefts of property.  I've noticed dusty ass looking people inside the grocery stores that seem to be doing shady shit (not paying for their items).  I think the "rule" with the police is that they won't do anything unless a crime has been committed that someone saw.  The mayor lifted the "ban" on sleeping in public places / sidewalks and ever since that happened the problem seems to have intensified immensely. 

Trying not to be insensitive here but it seems that there are shit heads that are taking advantage of the limited resources that we have set aside as a community for people that are struggling.  Aka, there are people that have no interest in owning anything, paying bills, buying the things they need, working, etc, etc ,etc etc.... They are perfectly fine just shitting in the alley, getting free money on the intersection corner, sleeping in a tent, etc.  One thing that REALLY rubs me wrong is when they have an animal with them.  I get it, they need a companion or whatever but there is no shortage of "companions" in the homeless community here.  The animals should be surrendered because they deserve better lives than to be basically held hostage and starved by people that don't intend to get their own lives together.

I realize this is a bit of a derailment from the CA subject of this thread.  CA seems to have REALLY fucked up in whatever they're doing.  Here's what I think they could do to fix the problem:

• Stop giving out needles, supporting the drug industry.
  • Install cameras, and pay a force of people to watch the cameras to prosecute crimes in high crime areas.
  • Actually jail people that commit crimes.
  • Build more jails so that there is no capacity problem.
  • Use money to buy about 10 acres each of properties OUTSIDE the city.
  • Build places where homeless can live in exchange for work, like community service in these areas.
  • Mandatory drug testing, randomly.... and no drinking/smoking allowed.
  • Programs in these shelters to help people that have drinking/smoking/drug problems if they fail.
  • Kick them out of the program for a set amount of time if they don't comply.
  • Re-enable the police to do their jobs.

I think all of those things together will cost less money than what CA is currently doing.  The problem is, I think, that "paying taxes to fix the symptom" is what's going on here.  And politicians are pocketing large amounts of money.  So, keeping people homeless and letting them fuck off the sidewalks is actually profitable for someone and all they have to do is get on tv every now and then and wave their hands around and say this is a big problem.  I'll give you a perfect example:

Warning: don't fall for his bullshit, mayor adler is a fucktard, just look at him talk and you can tell this.

I don’t think these problems are unique to just Texas, it seems that every city I’ve looked into relocating myself to out west has the same issue with Californians moving in, and bringing their statist ideas with them to the voting booths. The heavy handed state creates conditions that make housing scarce and unaffordable. From what I hear the average home price in Southern California is up to a half million dollars, and in Northern California that number is close to 800,000. You would think this would be an excellent opportunity for a homebuilders, and developers but it isn’t. There’s so many (well meaning) rules regulations and restrictions in place it makes turning a profit, even in this environment very difficult. The materials and labor to build a new house isn’t the problem. The costs driving the price double, even triple for the same quality of home you could buy in Las Vegas for $250,000, or almost anywhere else are almost all due to State interference. Ironically, the people are convinced that more government is the answer to this problem only making things worse.

• Like 1

New England is facing similar issues from what i know or have heard. The Boston area and Massachusetts in general is getting absurd so people are moving to New Hampshire and Maine and bringing Massachusetts voting with them. Finding a house where i grew up below 500k is a steal these days, and i’ve had apartments bigger than my childhood home.. Pricing has almost tripled, and my family no longer lives there as a result. 

From what i’ve heard in NH, a state that prides itself on very little taxes, has people voting to tax this and that for funding for sidewalks and such. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

Sorry, not going to read the thread, just dropping in with an anecdote that might be interesting for OP:

Last time I was in Austin was for a month or so for work in 2013. At that point people had been complaining for a good year plus about the "Northern Invasion". They explained it with mixed reasoning. One reason was that Texas had cheaper tax for industry so a lot of Ca companies were relocating to Austin after the GFC (because it is liberal and the city in Tx that is most similar to Ca). I also heard that Austin had such a high standard of living that companies were moving there from Ca and selling living in Austin as part of 'the package' working for them and that the IT sector had made large parts of Ca too expensive for the business to keep their HQ there.

I have no idea if any of this was true, just what my colleagues, who were largely localites, were telling me.

Gotta say, though. I was there in the northern winter when I was there and I was shocked by the number of homeless and panhandlers. I was told that they follow the seasons - when it's cold up north, they push south and vice versa.

Edited by Hua Guofang
  • Like 1

Even the homeless snowbird. There was a dude in New England that had one of the most impressive homeless camps in the woods i had ever seen. Said he had a similar setup down in Florida too. Would hop a train to Florida for winters, and New England for summers. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

I have problems with most of the arguments in this conversation, but don't care enough to put in the effort, just piping in to say I also hate Californians...

My favorite bumper sticker is "Colorado Sucks. Go back to California and tell your friends."

Flip flop in December wearin' mufuckas. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

I have problems with most of the arguments in this conversation, but don't care enough to put in the effort, just piping in to say I also hate Californians...

My favorite bumper sticker is "Colorado Sucks. Go back to California and tell your friends."

Flip flop in December wearin' mufuckas. 

My favorite i saw in Colorado was “You came. You smoked. Now go home.” 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

Man.... I read that and all that stood out to me was this:

"He is seeking another $695 million in state and federal matching funds."

"He’s also seeking nearly $25 million for three counties to experiment....."

I don't think it's the federal government's problem to fix what the politicians over there have fucked up.  People are not for "experimenting on", this isn't Nazi Germany. 

My other thought is, with the high cost of basically everything over there.... how much can 750+25M really buy.  My guess is ~100 homes total or maybe..... one apartment complex?  How many people will really be housed with that kind of money?

• 1 month later...