Yep, I wonder how many jobs get cut in CA because of it, and how many people will be able to afford to pick their life up and try to follow a company that was willing to drop them like a hot potato when it didn't make sense to do business in the area anymore.

This is why I tell people to not marry your job.  You need to bounce around and get experience in life. 

If I lived in CA and worked making good money for Tesla right now, I would likely be looking at any of the other companies that are local to my area over there to hire me.  They would LOVE to hire an ex-Tesla engineer.

Also, it's going to be "cheaper" all the way around to NOT bring CA workers over at their current pay level when the HQ is going to be in TX going forward.  They're going to hire people here that are willing to do the same good job for less money.   This will save Tesla massively in taxes etc.  It is a very smart move on their part.

Way better to lay them off and let the money you paid into the unemployment insurance benefits system do it's work while the state pays their unemployment.  It actually makes zero sense for Tesla to entice CA engineers to move to TX.  There are engineers here ripe for the picking at Samsung, National Instruments, AMD, and Freescale.  Many people are just waiting for Tesla to open here to get a job at Tesla.

My guess is a lot of peopel are getting laid off in CA right now and that is no time to try to pack up and move to TX and ask your ex employer for your job back.

Just spitballing.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Remember when you see on the media in CA and other places about "Texas being liberal or blue...." that it is NOT liberal or blue policy that made TX a desirable place to come live and run a business.  It is conservative and Republican policy that has made TX the way it is.  So while everyone is looking at the greener grass on this side of the fence, remember it took a lot of work to get this way and it didn't happen on the back of government policies, high state taxes, and handouts/services.

People here have fought for their freedom and continue to do so.  We have a rich culture and don't want our rich culture ruined by an incoming one that has no fucking regard whatsoever for anything at all.

I don't think Tesla moving here will bring that with them, I think it will LEAVE IT BEHIND.

• Like 1

The Tesla move to TX looks like it’s actually just an expansion, an assembly line for cyber truck with about 5k workers, about half the size of the sedan one in CA with 10k workers that will be staying open. The Austin site is an expansion alongside one in Germany and Shanghai. Probably not a lot of engineering jobs coming with this, mostly blue collar, which is still great- even though Musk is a union buster. I’d imagine they will have some engineers hiring on but can’t imagine it will be too many. Probably telework.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-largest-auto-assembly-plant-austin-texas/#app

The factory will be in Travis County, near Austin, and will employ at least 5,000 people with a minimum wage of $15 per hour, according to The Associated Press. Tesla has said it will invest $1.1 billion.

—— what is the minimum wage in TX? Is $15/hr a huge increase?

Musk said during the earnings call that the California factory "will continue to grow." Along with the new factory in Texas, Tesla is also building a factory in Germany, and has a factory in Shanghai.

••••••••

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-austin-general-news-spacex-health-5bb9661f02ecf033e4e0dcaf456ed778

The new factory will be Tesla’s biggest so far, although it may not employ as many workers as the 10,000 at its factory in Fremont, California. The electric car maker has said it wants the new factory to be in the center of the country and closer to eastern markets.

—— remember a few pages back I was saying companies like TX because it halves the travel time between coasts 

—— a bit of irony here:

But at present, Tesla can’t legally sell its vehicles in Texas. A state law requires cars to be sold through franchised dealers, not company stores like Tesla operates.

will get more than $60 million in tax breaks from the county and a local school district over the next decade.

—— interesting... the school district?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Remember when you see on the media in CA and other places about "Texas being liberal or blue...." that it is NOT liberal or blue policy that made TX a desirable place to come live and run a business.  It is conservative and Republican policy that has made TX the way it is.  So while everyone is looking at the greener grass on this side of the fence, remember it took a lot of work to get this way and it didn't happen on the back of government policies, high state taxes, and handouts/services.

People here have fought for their freedom and continue to do so.  We have a rich culture and don't want our rich culture ruined by an incoming one that has no fucking regard whatsoever for anything at all.

I don't think Tesla moving here will bring that with them, I think it will LEAVE IT BEHIND.

only time will tell. I think the people who would move to TX from CA would already be more conservative in their beliefs. I think the inverse of that would be true too - the people who would move from TX to CA would be more liberal.

Are you able to find numbers anywhere on how many residents of TX moved there from CA? Curious to see how that number has grown over the last decade or so. Census and IRS websites weren’t really giving me what I was looking for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

only time will tell. I think the people who would move to TX from CA would already be more conservative in their beliefs. I think the inverse of that would be true too - the people who would move from TX to CA would be more liberal.

Are you able to find numbers anywhere on how many residents of TX moved there from CA? Curious to see how that number has grown over the last decade or so. Census and IRS websites weren’t really giving me what I was looking for.

I've been skeptical of the numbers being "right" on these estimations.  Really, it's nearly impossible to tell how many people have moved from one place to another without analyzing a ton of systems that aren't connected and trusting that everyone takes the national census & is honest 100%/accurate 100%.

Because of the above, I don't know how much I trust any of the numbers....  I would say judging by the fact that I, now, cannot take even a short drive in this city without seeing more than one California license plate that there are a lot moving here.

I think you're correct about the ingress/egress of liberal/conservative between the two states.  What makes no sense to me though, is what would cause someone to want to move to CA at this point.  It seems to me like something I heard people say a lot in the 90s, they wanted to move to CA.

Now, I don't think I've heard anyone around say they'd want to go live there.  I'd like to visit to see the "nice" beaches, some of the landmarks, and some of the natural areas that I think are in northern CA.  The politics of the place would keep me and my money far far away from the idea of ever living or running a business there.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/grubhub-gig-workers-react-angrily-to-change-in-tipping-policy/

Grubhub gig workers react angrily to change in tipping policy

California-based workers for food delivery app Grubhub have reacted angrily to changes to the platform which they say discourage tipping, saying they would wipe out the supposed benefits of new gig worker rules in the state.

^^ I say stop fucking around and get a plan/skilled job.... then whatever fuckery is being imposed upon jobs that rely upon tips in CA won't matter.

This should be a wake up call for anyone thinking they can survive on stranger's "thankfulness and generosity".

High end places don't fuck around w/ tips, they just charge the premium up front and pay their workers properly.  This tip work is a numbers game to fuck people that aren't great at math IMO.

• 2 months later...

right now it's a good gamble for people to try. If there was a 99.9% death rate on the border from illegal crossing I bet that shit would stop in its tracks.  308 can shoot through engine blocks pretty easily. Just sayin. 

these aren't tax paying citizens and they haven't had their covid Biden branded anal swab yet.