Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Pro tip: don’t advertise that stuff on a public social media account.

Super pro tip: If your landlord asks for your social media accounts, tell their Surveillance Capitalist-Authoritarian ass to pound sand and find somewhere else to live. Egg the house for giggles. 

Galaxy brain tip: don’t have social media. 

5 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

Pro tip: don’t advertise that stuff on a public social media account.

Super pro tip: If your landlord asks for your social media accounts, tell their Surveillance Capitalist-Authoritarian ass to pound sand and find somewhere else to live. Egg the house for giggles. 

Galaxy brain tip: don’t have social media. 

Fairly easy to find anyone's social media with a name, and an email.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Fairly easy to find anyone's social media with a name, and an email.

Fuck if i know, they can still fuck off. I’ve always payed my shit on time and never destroyed their property. Anything else they could fuck off. 

I’ve heard some horror stories of real shitty landlords though. 

edit: more reason not to have it. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

I've heard landlord stories of real shitty tenants where they end up losing the property. Also been friends with a few squatters over the years. Probably better IMO for both sides to vet the other.

Naturally i’ve heard of shitty tenants. My friends are getting some evicted as we speak because they’ve destroyed walls and doors, and are constantly fighting, physically and verbally. 

How did someone lose their property because of a tenant? Genuinely interested because i’ve never heard of that happening before. I imagine it was destroyed? 

Vetting is fine, generally, this is what references and shit are for. Someone using a trans flag emoji, or using Spanish Anarchist colors is hardly an indicator that they are shitty tenants. People’s social media accounts don’t necessarily reflect the actions of them as a shitty person. No ones beating their spouse and being like “throwdown thursday”. At least not that i’ve seen, haha.

edit: Just for the record i agree with you about vetting  and understand it’s purpose and such, ironically, that pro tip says more about the landlord than anything. I would not rent from that land lord if i saw that post. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

5 minutes ago, abrasivesaint said:

How did someone lose their property because of a tenant? Genuinely interested because i’ve never heard of that happening before. I imagine it was destroyed? 

Most people borrow the money to buy rental properties as opposed to paying in full up front, so they have to  pay mortgages or the property goes into foreclosure. Also, it's next to impossible to sell a rental property with squatters in it, nobody wants to buy into that headache.

Out of curiosity what do you think happens when renters refuse to pay their rent, and the owners aren't allowed to evict them for a year or two?

36 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Most people borrow the money to buy rental properties as opposed to paying in full up front, so they have to  pay mortgages or the property goes into foreclosure. Also, it's next to impossible to sell a rental property with squatters in it, nobody wants to buy into that headache.

Out of curiosity what do you think happens when renters refuse to pay their rent, and the owners aren't allowed to evict them for a year or two?

Why aren’t the owners allowed to evict them for a year or two? I imagine a law? 

In Massachusetts it seems there is a law that allows for a 3-6 month window to tenants to find new housing in the event the landlord evicts them, it’s what my friends and their landlord are dealing with currently. Edit: both the landlord and current tenants, my friends, are working together to get this couple removed. They’re shitty people, and i have little to no sympathy. 

6 months and beyond seems like a lot of fucking time. This is an instance where i fully appreciate the factor of personal responsibility, and have little sympathy. I think there should be some degree of protections against both tenant and landlord, but if you can’t find housing in 6 months time, perhaps it says more about you as a person or a tenant than it does anything else. Obviously i understand markets can play a factor in the availability and affordability of housing,  but if you had an affordable place to live and were evicted because of your actions towards the property, that’s on you. If none of your friends or family are capable or willing to lend a hand while you find housing, perhaps again, that it’s on you to change your behavior. If you have absolutely no friends or family, it seems odd, but there’s usually some state funded options available. 

If your landlord decides they just don’t like you because you’re trans or you have differing political views, i understand the concept that it’s their property and they can do with it as they please, but i think there should be some degree of protections for tenants in that regard. Seems like that’s a real easy way to aid in the creation of a real shitty society and culture. 

Edited by abrasivesaint

Be honest, you know 100% people flexing those political view emoji's generally harbor a strong disdain for the property rights of those with more than them. It's jot a good look to enter into an arrangement with someone who's political views are OK with ripping you off. It's like not wanting to get raped, and avoiding a frat party.