WHY DO YOU LIKE GRAFFITTI?

WiNGS_LOVE

Personaly I write because god wants it to happen. Or Allah, Moses, or whatever you wanna try and call something meaningful to a spiritual world, well graffiti is my meeting point with that. It's like going to church or what have you. If you don't think there is more to this understanding of life and afterlife, then I sympathize, neither did I.

Before I was in pursuit of an ego and some more confidence by controlling something like paint. When you paint it makes what you're doing at the moment the most important time in your life if you really know what's going on around you. Aside the adrenaline rush is why are you so fucking worried about getting busted or shot at? Cause the world is fucking nuts. Putting your gift of life in danger for no gain or value in the world aside maybe street fame. But if you smart street fame and bitches are just so much of what life offers or really is about. When you destroy property value and take away cash it's a good thing. Money is evil and it's sad that people started putting faith in money instead of themselves, each other, and living together. Money tears people away from each other and makes everybody greedy. Graffiti taking away money from people, thogh angering, takes away from the evil lock that has been created by humanity itself to try and determine the value of things. But watching money over time it has devalued what is resourceful to our life to be sustained on our own planet/ Plus we devalue how we treat each other and what we eat, drink, wear, and waste. Money makes humanity so lazy because it's easy to become gluttonous by hoarding things. It sucks I watch food here in america waste away in the garbage daily as I know the hunger that exists in a child's belly just an ocean away. God, Allah, or w/e I dont really care to name this, but the fury that exists and disappointment in mankind has to be present in whatever life force is behind our existence.

Pretty much graffiti made me realize humanity's flaws must be spoken of, or in the very least marked upon.

I paint to remind people that all this concrete, metal, and polluted garbage we've created will collapse on us one day. I paint to remind myself there is more to life than just this "game."

Graffiti isn't a game.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I bought Marc ecko's gettin up and felt in love with it I also bought my waist can holder so when I go do burners I won't loose my cans and also be as good as cope2.and to express my art skills

Better be kidding.

---------

Writing brings me back to the days when i used crayons on my mom's walls and gpa's couch... I love getting slapped around. I think that's what it is

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Perhaps graff makes me feel free, in control of whats around me, and somehow allows me to focus on something that i love instead of falling into a meaningless and depressing existence that would be my fucking daily routine.

the rush, the paranoia, the addiction, the spots that i haven't wrote on yet ... this what keeps me doing it, for sure.

It's everywhere it's free to see and its like a secret and its bad and it'll never die and its art and its dope and its everywhere, and I can do it too if I want and it looks sick and it means so many different things and my parents hate it because they dont understand and its alive and its raw and its pure and its an addictive rush and its what ever i want it to be and it pushes my limits and it makes me learn and it makes me think new things and it impresses other people and it impresses me and its new and its fun and ...

• 2 weeks later...

It's a natrual high. I love to roll up some good, throw on some Mac Dre and get to work. It's Also something I have worked hard on. I have slowly got better. I love how Writers have a certin disrespect for the law And Graffiti is just awesome What can I say I was fasinated from the first time I went with my friend to look out for him while he did some sick criminal miscif

Tagging is what drew me in. The fame for getting up. Then I remember seeing my first piece and instantly fell in love. (A Coma-AWR piece) The art that comes from being creative with style is what keeps inspiring me. It was like a new language, I had discovered. A modern age script who's boundaries are endless. To me, it's beauty in what we can create with our imagination, time, and courage. :scrambled: Word.

Theres something oddly satisfying about zoning out for a while and doing a piece/panel.

There's actually a legit term for this. It's referred to as dissociative art.

To the brain, it's almost the same as taking some dissociative drugs..

a class of psychoactive drugs which are said to reduce

or block signals to the conscious mind from other parts of the brain.

In other words - your mind is just dipping out for a while.

This is said to be unhealthy mentally but I question that.

I feel like I need that every once in a while to keep me sane.

However, such are the words of an addict. Hmm...

i think what it comes down to is why dont you like graff? graff to me is more than just painting shit on walls (typical saying) but in reality, its escaping from society and actually feeling free and showing yourself you are real. the rush, being in places you shouldn't be, the risk factor and being able to stand back and say damn im actually proud of this (which is rare cause everyone is there own worse critic.) graff blows off steam, but can also become wicked stressful and overwhelming but i guess anything that makes you feel good is like that. the natural high, the smell of the paint, chilling with the homies at 3 am hitting a sketchy street spot that you know tons of people will see in only a few hours. graff is you, and you do you. its not about anyone else or for anyone else. its strictly for you. i think its one of the only things people actually do for themselves these days

The very nature of graffiti is an ever-evolving thing for writers. I think it's natural that a lot of us change our reasons for writing as time goes on. I know that personally my idea of graffiti has completely changed since I first started painting. My reasons for doing it back then were admittedly pretty stupid. As time went on, however, I started to realize things and grow up but never could grow out of graffiti. I used to look up to so many writers until I met them and realized what kind of people they were. There's really only a small percentage of writers whom I can truly respect as people.

Some of my personal observations - Most writers seem to have narcissistic tendencies (as much as we don't want to admit). The very nature of graffiti is a narcissistic act. A lot of writers seem to suffer from mental disorders which can explain for many of their actions. It's the whole dissociative act of painting a piece and losing yourself in this odd world that isn't your everyday life. You're just dipping out for a while and forgetting all your problems which doesn't solve anything but simply sets the mind at ease temporarily. It's also the whole act of lashing out or venting or destroying shit. Most of us are bipolar and suffer from OCD, ADD, ADHD, HIV, ESPN, etc. and graffiti seems to satisfy many of the aspects of these disorders for many people.

A lot of writers seem to sway in the direction of being really ignorant and just wanting to fuck shit up and do ignorant shit...... or they're intellectual and their reasons for painting have to do with politics and social or humanitarian issues and it's something of a backlash or revolt against society.... There's also some kind of middle ground too I guess which is the writers that are just artistic and like to do creative shit or people that just like to simply paint and are completely normal(yall are few and far between tho)..... but either way everyone seems to enjoy doing whatever the fuck they want and not being told otherwise and getting away with it again and again and again. For me it's always been something constant and ever-evolving even when shit in my life was at a standstill. I always loved that it didn't cost me anything either because I've never really seen much wealth in my life.

big bump. and fuck o.c.d. i have it and it drives me nuts.

(I know this thread has been all trolled up, but I see no other appropriate place for my post so I am just going to give it a try..)

My name is Irmelin Mathilde Amundsen and I am a senior at California Lutheran University, majoring in International Studies and Political Science. I am currently working on a research paper, which topic is the relationship between graffiti/street art and political expression of youth.

Your participation in this research would be greatly appreciated. Interviews would be conducted simply through e-mail.

Any information that is obtained is connection with this study and that might be used to identify you will remain confidential. I will ask you to select a pseudonym or fake name that I will employ in all field notes, transcriptions or public references. At your discretion, identities or aliases used in graffiti will be altered.

Anyone interested in participating should contact me on iamundse@callutheran.edu

Sincerely,

Irmelin Mathilde Amundsen

There's actually a legit term for this. It's referred to as dissociative art.

To the brain, it's almost the same as taking some dissociative drugs..

a class of psychoactive drugs which are said to reduce

or block signals to the conscious mind from other parts of the brain.

In other words - your mind is just dipping out for a while.

This is said to be unhealthy mentally but I question that.

I feel like I need that every once in a while to keep me sane.

However, such are the words of an addict. Hmm...

@DetroitWard,

i think youre onto somethin here-- i def notice even when im free-hand drawing,

theres a kind of 'meditative' dissasociative space/zone/time warp you get into.

for sure youre correct it might be healthy for the brain to chill out in similar states and not be so hyper-focused/'conscious' all of the time,

tho, like you say once in a while...u prolly dont wanna disassociate all of your waking life...

i know in 'normal' daily perception our eyes scan and receive information

in small information/light bits, although your concentration/attention

varies in degree and kind depending on your activity of course...

the scanning part i think has a calming effect on the brain/mind.

graffiti can have a lot of swift initial coordinated hand-eye-mind movements,

so i wonder if this is what plays a part in down/up regulating certain neurochemicals, etc.

even tho your mind state while painting might seem passive,

i think it can be like a passive 'reception' which is actually in some situations,

really conducive towards learning and forming new neural pathways.

i think theyve shown in a lot of neurological studies the brain makes

important/new synergizing/synaptical connections/communications best

when it is relaxed...in fact, einstein used to take a break from his calculations

when he got stuck and went and played his violin and came back to his work after

'recharged' and sometimes able to figure out something he couldn't before...cool, huh?

well, heh, sorry if i seem daft...prolly nobody is really too interested in such things, lol ;)

but, nonetheless, i think graffiti is really good for the mind, soothing and might even

make ya smarter (of course, this all is purely speculative)

ha...yad yada,,, i find lame stuff like this utterly fascinating. eh. :lol:

anyway, really cool thread/discussion & thoughts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because its fun. It feels good and its cool.

I like writting. I like morphing letters and shapes and color. I like the way it feels after you paint. I like grimey ass fucking expeditions with my ladies. I also feel like im not hurting anyone.

The other day at work my coworker chastised me for writting on boxes at work. Mind you im suppose to label everything but whatever i give her this fat otr i have and tell her to write on something. She writes on cardboard and shes like i dont get it. So i flip a metal chair over and tell her to write on that. I said to her, "now tell me that didnt feel good."

• 4 weeks later...