Albums: do these things still happen?

Smart

So, I already said tonight, I'm old. I'm also old enough to remember when people put out records and you judged them on the entirety of tht record.

Does this still happen in our new world of downloads and ringtones? I mean, people play me stuff sometimes and I get a fair amount of submissions that are all fairly good but... last submission was something I liked but yeah... last time somebody MADE me hear an album from front to back was that kid Malakian's band (dancin' in the desert all night) and that shit was pretty good but... the last time I remember being absolutely hooked was probably 'Nothing Shocking'. That Album kicked ass! Also I really dug "Love Below" when it came out but a bunch of folks I'm around didn't go for it. I guess I mentioned "Fight Club" earlier and that's another front to back that I thought didn't get enough credit. So I guess there's been a few since Jane's but none that I remember grabbing all my friends at the same time.

Are party albums dead? We used to put on Love and Rockets 'Express' and had naked girls dancing on tables, 'Licensed to Ill' fuckin' broke MANY house parties. Black Sabbath plus hours long bong sessions...

What albums are front to back favorites of yours, AND what are f2b faves of your friends as well?

Has the full length album format FINALLY fallen to the singles? Is the new mellinium all a 'mix tape' world?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See... I'm not that into the concept albums, or story shits... I liked Johnny frum the Horspitul by Company Flow but see, what sparked this was the absolute rednecks next door jamming out to that Queensryche album yesterday. I remember some kids being blown away by that shit but they were mostly crappy guitarists who couldn't cover soem Steve Vai shit on a David Lee Roth album (no fronting on The Attitude Song, or Vai in general)... but... yeah, it was that bullshit concept album thing that put a bug in my ear.

I don't mean 'story' albums, I mean song after song of kick ass stuff. The type of thing you put in when you have to drive for an hour. The type of stuff you play when you want to make people jump but not have to touch the stereo for an while.

was the Streets that band that did "And Don't You Know It"? (or something like that)... English hip hop? I really dug that one song but failed on the follow up.

Oi oi oi! yeah I recommend seeing them in concert too. They played at the Fllmore after their first record release years ago. Everyone on stage was double fisting handles and sharing with the front row. (It was an 18+ show but they're british so whatever.) Security at the fillmore took away their handles and they refused to play for about 10 minutes till they got their liquor back. That's all I remember, aside from the floor turning into a waterbed from everybody jumping with the bass. Good times.

I can think only of a handful of albums I would voluntarily listen to from beginning to end, and generally its under abnormal circumstances. For example: Metallica - Kill em all is for when Im driving up to davis in the middle of the night with nobody else in the car and I'm trying to make good time.

See... I'm not that into the concept albums, or story shits... I liked Johnny frum the Horspitul by Company Flow

cool album

I don't mean 'story' albums, I mean song after song of kick ass stuff. The type of thing you put in when you have to drive for an hour. The type of stuff you play when you want to make people jump but not have to touch the stereo for an while.

those albums i listed are dope and can be listened to without skipping tracks, its just a coincidence they are story albums. definately not part starters though

So, I already said tonight, I'm old. I'm also old enough to remember when people put out records and you judged them on the entirety of tht record.

Does this still happen in our new world of downloads and ringtones? I mean, people play me stuff sometimes and I get a fair amount of submissions that are all fairly good but... last submission was something I liked but yeah... last time somebody MADE me hear an album from front to back was that kid Malakian's band (dancin' in the desert all night) and that shit was pretty good but... the last time I remember being absolutely hooked was probably 'Nothing Shocking'. That Album kicked ass! Also I really dug "Love Below" when it came out but a bunch of folks I'm around didn't go for it. I guess I mentioned "Fight Club" earlier and that's another front to back that I thought didn't get enough credit. So I guess there's been a few since Jane's but none that I remember grabbing all my friends at the same time.

Are party albums dead? We used to put on Love and Rockets 'Express' and had naked girls dancing on tables, 'Licensed to Ill' fuckin' broke MANY house parties. Black Sabbath plus hours long bong sessions...

What albums are front to back favorites of yours, AND what are f2b faves of your friends as well?

Has the full length album format FINALLY fallen to the singles? Is the new mellinium all a 'mix tape' world?

Really for me the only albums I will listen to the whole way is either Doom Metal bands and King Diamond.

Doom metal bands, because most of thier songs bleed into each other and paint a weird dark landscape of metalness

and King Diamond cause all of his albums are heavy metal operas

Let me help you out of the chair...

Grandma... ahhh... hahahaahahaha!

NOW I feel old!

those albums i listed are dope and can be listened to without skipping tracks, its just a coincidence they are story albums. definately not part starters though

I can dig it, but yeah, I meant the jams.

I think the last one I could recommend was Liquid Trio Experiment's 'When the Keyboard breaks'.

I didn't get what you were trying to say about Steve Vai before, but who can cover his shit? I say nobody. Just go listen to Passion and Warfare in its entirety to refresh yourself lol.

Guest JohnLester#31
honestly, I would say check out the Kid Cudi Album

he devided it into acts telling the story of his life or whatev

kinda lame, but cool as a concept

and definitely makes the whole album a finished product

Co-sign.

At this point when it come to albums, the only other person I can say I enjoy completely is any of KRS One's albums. They're complete and perfected, and they flow.

The Chronic, also a very good album that flowed; I hope Detox turns out just the same

i've said this before, but for hours long bong sessions, sleep's holy mountain is the top of the hill. easily had the most relaxing and just fun experience getting high listening to that album on top of an extremely comfortable, over priced beanbag. turn the lights off, drop the needle on the groove, and get totally ripped.

Guest JohnLester#31
Obfcl2 is hot fiyah beginning to end.

Disagree.

Definitely a big fan, was highly anticipating, but it didn't live up to its expectations completely as far as the rage over who was suppose to be on the album, but didn't make the cut (

skip to 3:50).

If any artist says they want something to happen badly enough and don't make it happen, you don't think they think to themselves their work could have been better. Thats enough insentive to say, it wasn't ALL that. OBCL 1, is complete. I hate to say it but I enjoyed Cuban Revolutions the Mixtape more, were Nas did make the cut. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I listen to all my albums front to back. I hate skipping songs or listening to something else before an album is done.

i guess this is all based on personal preference. some albums have only one or two good songs or one or two weak songs. i suppose it's a lot easier to pick and choose these days since you can DL individual tracks.

speaking of which, if you like New Order, Bernard Sumner's new project "Bad Lieutenant" has their debut album dropping in a few weeks but Amazon has a one day deal where you can DL the entire thing for $2.99. I just picked it up, it's pretty good so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R50INK?ie=UTF8&tag=badlieu3-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002R50INK

Archived