What you know about GMO's

itsallafarce

I don't make threads very often but, I have a class debate on genetically modified organisms on Wednesday. I have already done some research and so has my team (it's a group thing) on some of the pros and cons of the use of GMO's. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any info that they would like to share all opinions are cool. Since I know that to have a good debate you need to know the good bad and the ugly of the topic so your opponent can't son you. Oh and if you're wanting to know I happen to be fittingly enough on the side that's against it. Any help is appreciated through propsiz.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't really think we should be fucking with nature like that BUT it does have it's upsides.

GMO's can make life a lot easier for some of us.

GMO crops ( insect resistant corn ) ensure a somewhat reasonable yield so farmers can get paid enough and a steady supply of food.

That being said, It still doesn't justify playing around with natures balance.

GMO crops can starve the insects that feed off of the non-GM crops and this can / will have massive repercussions on the food chain.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't really think we should be fucking with nature like that BUT it does have it's upsides.

GMO's can make life a lot easier for some of us.

GMO crops ( insect resistant corn ) ensure a somewhat reasonable yield so farmers can get paid enough and a steady supply of food.

That being said, It still doesn't justify playing around with natures balance.

GMO crops can starve the insects that feed off of the non-GM crops and this can / will have massive repercussions on the food chain.

yeah all that is true but with certain crops such as corn only a certain percent is consumed by humans. Most of it is fed to live stock. I think that it's good in some ways but bad in most. It's yet to be said but, I think that it's comparable to cloning humans. The more you fuck with the seeds the more the crop suffers in quality such as flavors and nutrients. It's a tricky subject to deal with.

tried finding you some names of some people here: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows

but gave up after a few mins. you may find something helpful in the archives there tho.

i had todo a debate on this topic in Argumentation class a few semesters ago. must be a popular topic for teachers.

all i really have to add is that if we have the technology to feed more people by making fruits and vegetables larger and more resilient to insects and weather we should do it.

good luck with the project man

i had this debate in an upper division plant biology class like 3 years ago.

i remember one con was genetic drift....genetically modified foods could potentially cross contaminate crops that havent been genetically modified....so this could cause lots of conflicts between farmers that farm non genetically modified foods and ones that farm gmo's.

but one pro i thought was extremely important was the ability to add important nutrients to foods..like the whole vitamin A and golden rice thing.

in developing countries, they have vitamin A deficieny, which causes xerophthalmia...which leads to blindness....but consuming the genetically modified golden rice could help prevent that.

Aye..aye..aye..aye..aye..

What you know about gmo's?

Aye...

don't you know I got

pesticide free trees so the birds chirp then i chirp back

non-leather nap sack

where I hold'n all tha veggies at

I know all about them

bloated cow toes on the flo where the vegan cheese at

Fresh off the plant to the mouth then down where the belly's at

What you know about that?

Hey what you know about gmo's?

Hey I know all about them

See me in ya city sittin in the hippie district I'm petting someones dog

Ridin fixed gear, couple granola bars and a china cola dog

opps, hit a crack and then i fall

Aye..

Ridin in the rain

Aye..

Walkin everywhere else

Aye..

Buy everything organic

You know about vegetarian feed for my dog

Don't try to feed meat to my dog

And if you do i'll get mad at you dogg

You better not kill that frog

I growed from seedlings bro

Don't wanna buy potted plants bro

I'm fast to argue bro ya better use true facts bro

Know i don't like you cause

Yo bitch most likely gmo

She see me on the fixie

In front of every record store

I be on blow I'm buzzed

Give me another pbr

Figyaz everyone know me in clubs

dont like you cause you dont have ear plugz

All creatures learn to adapt to it's surroundings right?

So after a couple of decades the insects the insect resistant crop is supposed to repel will eventually adapt and be able to feed on the crop once again.

This means massive problems to non I.R crops because the insects can now feed on these crops even more efficiently and will damage an even greater percentage of the crops than before.

If you alter something within nature, everything that depends upon that will be altered inderectly.

MONSANTO

pretty sharp...

but on the flip side, we've been genetically modifying food crop since Lineas Hoek illuminated the issue...

You realize that there's NO fertile corn? DuPont bought ALL the corn. These days if you want corn you plant the seed... if you want corn after that you BUY more seed. Corn hasn't been able to reproduce for better than 50 years. Plus, pot is illegal.

*except for 'field corn' or 'indian corn' which is only useful for feeding livestock.

• Like 1

adaptation could take thousands of years.

meanwhile, insecticides...no matter how diluted they are, are not good for the environment and are known carcinogens.

Although that is true, the two sides have similar cons.

Pesticides can render the food inedible and could kill other animals or humans.

That being said, pesticides still won't have as big an effect on the environment as genetically modifying plants.

My only point for this one because I know next to nothing about pesticides effects and I won't pretend to.

Like I said before, Creatures evolve and after that, they'll have no problem eating GMO enhanced plants and be even more efficient at eating non-GMO enhanced plants.

Sure it can take thousands of years but think about it, After the animals/insects have adapted to the new crop it now has the potential to destroy an ever bigger chunk of agriculture.

This creature/animal can now reproduce at a higher rate because of better health.

This will greatly affect the balance of the food chain.

I.e: Birds start feeding on these GMO crops and the vitamin enhanced plants give them better health and they reproduce even faster. Their population rises and they have to consume more food and they take all the crops. Whatever insect/animal else feeds on that crop starve and die off. The things that feed on said insect/animal will now die off or their population will become dangerously low and this chain keeps on going. The birds would also eat a lot of worms therefore making some land less fertile / infertile.

I'm not saying this is gonna happen and I know it's amazingly improbable but it's the most straight forward example I can think of.

CALI,

As much as I love seedless watermelons.

They can no longer produce more watermelons and one day the demand for them will be so high we'll just be making seedless watermelons and forget about seeded watermelons.

Seeded watermelons die off / get replaced by seedless ones, no more seeds to modify, no more watermelons AT ALL.

Guest 50million

GMOs are one way for corporations to make more money. we dont actually know the health benefits (or issues) GMOs can cause. Although is great for research, it may not be the best way to grow crops.

i highly reccomend you watching 'the future of food' and look up percy schmeiser on wikipedia. (you might cry)

do you have any direct questions about GMOs? I know a lot about them. my grandma used to work in the food science department at UC davis and i talk a lot about this at work.

pretty sharp...

but on the flip side, we've been genetically modifying food crop since Lineas Hoek illuminated the issue...

You realize that there's NO fertile corn? DuPont bought ALL the corn. These days if you want corn you plant the seed... if you want corn after that you BUY more seed. Corn hasn't been able to reproduce for better than 50 years. Plus, pot is illegal.

*except for 'field corn' or 'indian corn' which is only useful for feeding livestock.

This is the only quarell I have with GMOs

and if GMOs do in fact cure world hunger I think it will be worth it