Douchebag mayor signs mandatory composting law

lord_casek

Fascism?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$10 says if we dont start taking care of the environment and not being so wasteful, that earth will begin to be uninhabitable in the very near future.

since man only accounts for .011% of co2, not likely.

go picket the military, they dump more toxins into the

oceans than we could dream of.

this is fucking awesome, and if every city had this, america would be a much better place.

americans are lazy pieces of shit who need to be mandated into doing the right thing. dont blame the politicians, blame the dumbasses who dont see why this is important.

I was just going to type something along these lines.

It's ridiculous to think that if given the choice to do something that is obviously good or to take the easy way out and keep doing what you want to do, Americans are always going to take the easy way out.

But then again, making laws against something isn't going to keep people from doing it.

Think of all the lazy idiots that throw empty wrappers, cans, paper, etc. on the ground when there will be a trash can within a block from them.

I have seen people throw garbage on the ground when a trash can is literally right in front of them.

They don't care that it makes their city look crappier or that there is a misdemeanor fine for it..they just do it because it is easy and they simply can't be bothered to care to do the right thing.

Composting is awesome.

I wish I had a yard so that I could build a compost bin.

90% of my garbage is vegetable peels or food scraps and I've been trying to think of a way that I can cut that out completely.

Worm bins are also awesome, but I can't find a place in Germany that sells the right type of worm.

Either way, I think this is a really good idea and I think more cities should follow suit.

Here is an article about a city in Germany that is basically car-free.

I think it is pretty interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/science/earth/12suburb.html

haha, shut the fuck up casek. More and more you are becoming some paranoid nutback

OMG THEY ARE MAKING ME DO SOMETHING!!! IT MUST BE THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!!

Dude here in Europe they are mandated to recycle and compost and there is no scare of fascism. Its just doing something that is right. Like seeking said Americans are fucking lazy and wont do shit until you tell them. I have known places where the city GIVES you recycling bins and assholes just say that is to hard and throw all their shit in the same place.

How hard is it to just recycle? Not very. That is why we need a mandate, that is why we need a law. Cause no one is going to do it unless they are TOLD and their are consequences behind it. Its not like they are telling you to give up your first born..just compost

haha, shut the fuck up casek. More and more you are becoming some paranoid nutback

OMG THEY ARE MAKING ME DO SOMETHING!!! IT MUST BE THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!!!!

Dude here in Europe they are mandated to recycle and compost and there is no scare of fascism. Its just doing something that is right. Like seeking said Americans are fucking lazy and wont do shit until you tell them. I have known places where the city GIVES you recycling bins and assholes just say that is to hard and throw all their shit in the same place.

How hard is it to just recycle? Not very. That is why we need a mandate, that is why we need a law. Cause no one is going to do it unless they are TOLD and their are consequences behind it. Its not like they are telling you to give up your first born..just compost

did i say anything about the new world order? no. i said fascist mayor is fascist.

i don't need to be dictated to. fuck that.

you greenies are turning into a bunch of faggots. you know those new lightbulbs that save energy? filled with mercury. when you break one in your house, automatic toxic environment. OSHA cleanup is needed. do any of you greenies call an OSHA certified crew to clean up? probably not.

would you like it if it was mandated? miss rent to pay for toxic waste disposal? probably not.

hypocrites.

"BUT CASEK, WE'RE SAVIN' TEH PLANETS!!!! TEH GLOBAL WARMING IS A COMIN' AND OUR POLAR BEARS ARE DYIN' ' ON ACCOUNT OF THEY CAN'T SWIMS FAR! OH NOEZ!"

polar bear population is on the riseand the planet is cooling. sorry to burst your eco friendly bubble.

• Like 1

u mad cause you have to composts??

not really. more amused than anything.

i actually don't litter and do recycle (since i was eight). by my own choice.

i also grow a small garden, so compost makes sense.

it is my own choice to do this, also.

you guys really don't understand that giving away your freedoms for small things like composting leads to giving away your freedoms to do other things in the long run.

a "we can get away with this, so let's also mandate _________" mentality.

pretty sad.

ppl are lazy and have to fucking be forced to do shit they should have been doing a long time ago.

i'm glad the city actually has composting, i wish we had it here.

and i also wish people cared more and weren't morons and weren't apathetic.

but they are, and we need shit like this

to me, it's like legislating equality

there are a lot of racist assholes out there

and they apparently need laws to tell them not to discriminate.

i feel like they are legislating environmental responsibility

since it's the right thing to do but most people won't do it.

not giving a shit about anything is not a freedom or a right ..

being able to mange your own unchecked consumption is not something people are entitled to. imo.

ppl are lazy and have to fucking be forced to do shit they should have been doing a long time ago.

i'm glad the city actually has composting, i wish we had it here.

and i also wish people cared more and weren't morons and weren't apathetic.

but they are, and we need shit like this

to me, it's like legislating equality

there are a lot of racist assholes out there

and they apparently need laws to tell them not to discriminate.

i feel like they are legislating environmental responsibility

since it's the right thing to do but most people won't do it.

not giving a shit about anything is not a freedom or a right ..

being able to mange your own unchecked consumption is not something people are entitled to. imo.

as i said earlier in this thread, why not give incentives instead of mandates?

the city is making money. why not pass some benefits down to the people?

are they going to mandate veganism next? or mandate how much tp you can use to wipe your ass?

what's next?

not really. more amused than anything.

you guys really don't understand that giving away your freedoms for small things like composting leads to giving away your freedoms to do other things in the long run.

a "we can get away with this, so let's also mandate _________" mentality.

pretty sad.

Very valid and historically credible point

When I see people litter or throw cans away then say things like "recycling...that's hippy shit", I don't consider it an expression of their liberty. It just seems indulgent, lazy and inconsiderate.

That said, I don't trust Newsom at all. He's a blue-blood career politician that does the right things for the wrong reasons. He seems to believe that if he does a few high-profile "good deeds" involving human rights and/or the environment that people will get the impression that he actually gives a shit, but it's all obviously choreographed...I mean, was a press conference to announce this program really necessary? It's not exactly front-page news.

There has been a urban composting program in SF and Berkeley for years now and a lot (well, around half) of my friends who live in either city participate. Almost all my friends with yards here in the East Bay compost. Passing laws to get everyone else on board seems like a waste of time, though.

The only incentive that should be needed is making the planet a better place to leave our future generations.

This isn't even about rights.. It's about doing what is right for the whole and not for the individual.

But of course we think we are more important than the whole.

well, good for all you people that do it BY CHOICE

I think this should get the rest of those lazy fuckers

who don't to get off their ass.

casek, shai, you are acting like fucktards.

I would think that the three of us generally feel the same way towards city governments, governments in general.

But for real, facism?

c'mon it's a fucking good program. The mayors (past and newly elected) of San Antonio have been trying to restructure our city economy around ecologically sound expansion models. We just got the city issued trash and recycling bins, every other city I've ever been to has had this for years. people have to recycle now. Should I feel oppressed? My right to not recycle!!! it's too early for me to type out all the reasons why this is in fact, not fascism and or bad.

so in conclusion be thankful for a good thing.

the thought police are coming to kill you.

they're trying to pass laws pertaining to

I'm not saying it's an awful idea, but under close scrutiny it just looks like another one of his "look at me everyone, I care about __________ too" publicity stunts.

1. The guy he ran against in 2003, Matt Gonzalez, is way more progressive. You can read about him here.

2. He lifted the ban on gay marriage seemingly on a whim, and without going into exhaustive detail it can be argued that he did more harm than good by doing so.

3. SF doesn't have municipal garbage collection, they contract that out to a company called Norcal Waste Management. Granted, they are a fairly enlightened company, but they're going to make some money off this program...not to mention the revenue the city stands to gain from fining folks that don't comply.

4. Composting stinks. We had a green can at my old place in Berkeley, and we had to keep it outside. I don't see how this is going to work out well for people who live in one-room studios.

5. Newsom banned plastic bags in SF about two years ago, disregarding warnings from supermarkets that they would have to raise prices to comply with the law.

6. SF is one of the most gentrified places I've ever seen. Even though the economy is in the toilet, the past two mayors have made it very easy and lucrative for the construction industry to build and build and build...and they're building condos and lofts that usually go for around $500,000 and up, which prices most of the poor people right out of SF.

I don't think he's a fascist, but I do think that his priorities are way out of whack with what SF really needs.

if you read the article, a business has to have 1 square yard of compost per week. what if the business doesn't have enough compostable trash for one week? fines? is that fair?

are they supposed to borrow some refuse from another business to meet a quota?

I think you need to re-read the article.

"No fines are specified in the ordinance, but there is a cap of $100 established for residences and businesses that generate less than one cubic yard of refuse per week."

That doesn't say ANYTHING about HAVING to have a cubic yard of REFUSE (NOT COMPOST). It means that if you generate less than one cubic yard of trash per week, THE MOST YOU CAN BE FINED IS $100.

THERE IS NO MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR HOW MUCH COMPOST YOU MUST HAVE. YOU WILL BE FINED ONLY IF YOU CONTINUOUSLY CANNOT SEPARATE YOUR TRASH.

Edit: Yes, big font was necessary.

Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

Refuse = discarded waste